Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Xm radio ideas

08' cayman came with "sirius" capable radio. Would like to have xm as i already have it in another car.

Has anyone tried the "Onyx" or "Snap"? How about portability from mh to toad?

Radio that came in mh does not have input (Magnadyne) so would have to use in fm broadcast mode. I have heard mixed reviews about the quality of the broadcast in this mode.

Thinking i may be better off replacing radio head with an xm radio capable unit instead. Maybe also bluetooth capable.

Anybody have/had experience with this process?

How about the routing of the antenna cable from radio to roof?

Thanks, john (dancing bear)
Dancing Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #2

Heartland RV Club
XM and Sirius are the same people now . My new Journey has a dash unit with XM ,also Bluetooth ,that is great for use with a smart phone ..ie Pandora or Mp3's I tried Iheart app (works great) .also has Iphone and USB port.
iHeartRadio - Free Online Radio - Listen to 750+ Live Radio Stations

As far as moving the XM from the coach to toad ,I had one in my work car that used the FM modulator and a cig. adapter. . I could not hear the difference ,except when someone pulled up next to me with one on the same channel.

I almost upgraded my radio in my former coach . The stock magnadyne was a piece of junk.

Wayne
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I use the FM modulator...sounds as good as the built in Pioneer in the toad. The ant bug is mounted on top of my left front mirror and threaded insde.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The Magnadyne in our 2006 Camelot has two Aux inputs on the back. To get to them, you have to pull the radio from the dash. If they are there, connect RCA type cables that you can snake out into the open for access.

I bought a dockable Sirius radio (I'd be highly surprised if XM doesn't have the exact unit), a home dock and a second dock for another vehicle. using the docks allows me to use the radio in either the motorhome, my truck or the house. All work well.

For the motorhome, I epoxied a large steel washer to the top of the passenger side mirror. This gives a secure mounting point for the vehicle antenna, which has a strong magnet for securing it to the steel top of a car. The cable was routed behind the mirror, across the mirror support arm (using cable ties to secure it to the arm), tucked under the rubber windshield molding and then into the coach at the top of the top door hinge. There's a gap in the door molding that's just the right size for the antenna cable. Inside the coach, the cable was tucked under moldings, routed along the inside of the windshield, etc. until it reached the dock. Mounting the antenna to the top of the mirror results in no loss of signal, regardless of the direction we are traveling.

My experience with FM modulators is they are worthless. As you travel from area to area, inevitably a local radio station will overpower it. Even on the highway, many truckers seem to use ones that are far more powerful than the one you are using and you get to listen to what the trucker is listening to. My favorite was the Navajo religious programming along I-40 in Arizona that overpowers your FM transmitter.
glennb100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #5

We have two of the Pioneer Inno's and love them. Small, portable and also battery powered so it can be taken along on bike rides, fishing what ever. With the home or car adapters it is a snap to plug in and go. Sadly they have been discontinued as far as I know. But XM still does have some models that can be moved from place to place with a simple drop onto the mounting.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #6

I am doing the exact same thing to my 05 HR. I am plugging into the RCA jacks on the back of my stock Magnodyn radio and going straight to my Sirrius radio docking station. Has anyone changed out the magnodyn radio for some other radio unit?? Is the hole for the radio a standard size so any unit will work...pioneer..alpine...??
I agree it is not the best quality of radio out there but what are the alternatives??

Thx
Ted
Old 06-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #7

The Magnadyne in my Dynasty is a Din+1/2. Not very many radios that will fit. Depending on your dash layout you can either go smaller or larger. In our Dynasty the BU camera monitor is right above the radio so a double Din would not work.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #8

I have never heard of a double din or a din+1/2 radio. What is that??

Thx
Ted
Old 06-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I removed my Magnadyne within the first year and replaced it with a Pioneer Avic radio. Its AM/FM/XM/CD/DVD and GPS. To get Sirius or XM, you add another module under the dash that is about $40.00. The radio is expensive, but the GPS voice directions play through the stereo speakers. For an old fart like me, its nice to be able to hear the directions. I also ordered a steering wheel remote. It can do many functions, including repeat the GPS directions and adjust all of the radio functions.

The Magnadyne is an odd size Din and 1/2. The Pioneer was a double din. I enlarged the opening to make the Pioneer fit.

"TEDDE".....DIN is a unit of measurement used in radios. The width of the opening is standard, but the height of the opening can very....I'm not sure, but I think the sizes are a DIN, DIN 1/2 and Double DIN. I'm guessing a DIN is equivalent to about 1.5 inches (maybe someone knows the exact size).

"Dancing Bear"...there is no need to try and locate the antenna lead outside of the vehicle. Fish the antenna end up into your front cap. I was able to locate mine on top of a piece of metal framing. The signal will shoot through the fiberglass. After test driving mine, I had to move it over about two inches because I loss the signal when I went north. It has been working great for 5 years.

I find the XM modulators work really well if you find an older style that plugs into the radio antenna port, rather than the type that slips over the antenna lead or antenna.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the input. I noticed the RCA inputs on the back of the radio but not sure if I can plug an "ONYX" docking station or "Snap" XM radio into them. Anybody tried?

Don - Thanks for the advise on placing the antenna high in the front cap instead of outside, good to know the signal will penetrate the fiberglass...
Dancing Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Stevepkam Send a message via Yahoo to Stevepkam
Can anyone give info on current radios used? I have a 2011 Monarch 33S
that doesn't receive any AM stations and only 3 super strong FM stations for which you wouldn't need an antenna. It does get the weather channel, though.
Where are the AM antenna and FM antenna supposed to be? Any other suggestions on what could be problem. Is it easy to get to radio connections?
Thanks in advance for help.
SteveK
Moorpark, Ca
Stevepkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:58 PM   #12

The antennas are on the roof..I have the cell phone like antenna (CB antenna) and the rubber ducky antenna. I have the Magnadyne but it came with Sirius right from factory including a roof mount. The Magnadyne is what they use to make sure sledge hammers make their mark but as long as the Satellite works and the CD's and IPOD works, I can handle it..it will get local broadcasts in a pinch or when bad weather is expected so I will put it on then. Without Sirius or the IPOD plug, I think I would have trashed it long ago. Worst POS radio I ever had for reception.
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:38 AM   #13

My DW and I are not full timers..yet. So we will be using our portable sirrius receiver. It is a docable type and can be moved from car to car. Perhaps when we become full timers we will subscribe for a second incar receiver. Makes no sense having a subscription and have it sit most of the time. Our coach sits more than it moves for now..so I am hooking up the sirrius using the aux jacks on the back of the magnadyn radio.

I will someday upgrade to a real sirrius radio..with out the aux. jacks. Anyone know of a simple replacement..just want ,radio, cd player, sirrius radio. No gps or anything else..A second contract for a second receiver is 13 dollars/month.Too much to have it sit not being used I think..but when we become full timers..well......

Thx
Ted
Old 06-13-2011, 09:04 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Stevepkam Send a message via Yahoo to Stevepkam
Ted,
How difficult is it to get to the back of your radio?
SteveK
Stevepkam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio