Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Wink You Could See It Coming...

Belonging to this forum is like having a crystal ball that can look into the future and see what can/might/will go wrong with my Motorhome.

This last trip out we developed an ammonia leak in our NDA 1402 Dometic fridge and wound up using a compact dorm fridge to get through the week. Then when we broke camp to come home, a top cable on the curbside bedroom slide broke. Both of these issues have been reported several times here. and.....the kitchen sink leaks around the strainer/drain and the guy that fixed it for me last year must have used super-glue on the plastic nut underneath 'cause it isn't coming off in my lifetime without a hacksaw...sigh....but that's minor.

So...I ordered the cable repair kit and hope to do it myself as the cable is still in evidence and thanks to this forum I know right where to get the video of how to fix it Also spoke with the repair shop regarding the Dometic Fridge. Thank the stars that I bought the 3 yr extended warranty for this big monster side by side. But now I'm told it could take a couple weeks to get the parts shipped in to fix it.

Think I'll read some more to see what's going to break/fall-off/fail/quit/snap/crimp/strip/leak/fray next...... but hey, that's life in the fast lane......... And it sure beats sitting home........
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ron,
Glad we could help.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ron.
The way I look at it is if I were stuck at home without my RV, I would be fixing and repairing things there.
I much rather do what has to be done then sit under a tree with a cold one.
Life is good in an RV
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:48 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If I may, I can offer some tips on the cable change as I just did mine this spring. Get a couple of 3/16 cable clamps to use if you do not have a crimping tool. When you cut the cable, you will need a very sharp pair of side cutters, as it is a stainless cable and you need a clean cut. Save the cable pulling tube for future use. A firm steady pull is needed to clear the pulleys, but it will hold with the what I call Chinese finger lock. Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Chuck
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #5

Ron

If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any.....we both purchased our coaches about the same time....at the same place and I test drove your coach before you purchased it....Hopefully the warranty will make good with the fridge...it's a b**** to remove....but I wonder if they would pay the labor and you get the Samsung 197 people have talked about here...I just put in a fan at the side vent on top and put a switch on the other two 12v fans so that it runs better which it does seem to...I know that cable slide and I am careful with it..but at least you get answers here...please call me or email me if you need anything.....also please post who does the fridge for you...

Safe travels....Stu
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRon View Post
Belonging to this forum is like having a crystal ball that can look into the future and see what can/might/will go wrong with my Motorhome.

This last trip out we developed an ammonia leak in our NDA 1402 Dometic fridge and wound up using a compact dorm fridge to get through the week. Then when we broke camp to come home, a top cable on the curbside bedroom slide broke. Both of these issues have been reported several times here. and.....the kitchen sink leaks around the strainer/drain and the guy that fixed it for me last year must have used super-glue on the plastic nut underneath 'cause it isn't coming off in my lifetime without a hacksaw...sigh....but that's minor.

So...I ordered the cable repair kit and hope to do it myself as the cable is still in evidence and thanks to this forum I know right where to get the video of how to fix it Also spoke with the repair shop regarding the Dometic Fridge. Thank the stars that I bought the 3 yr extended warranty for this big monster side by side. But now I'm told it could take a couple weeks to get the parts shipped in to fix it.

Think I'll read some more to see what's going to break/fall-off/fail/quit/snap/crimp/strip/leak/fray next...... but hey, that's life in the fast lane......... And it sure beats sitting home........
Ron, you might want to give these guys a call about an Amish Built cooling unit for your Dometic fridge. RV Cooling Unit Warehouse They are excellent to deal with and very helpful over the phone. If you are handy with do it yourself items, you could install the cooling unit yourself. I recently did an installation on my Norcold 1200 and was surprised that it really wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. Here is a video of my installation.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Chuck, Thanks for the offer and the advice...after the cable kit gets here (a week?) maybe I will contact you f that's still ok.....Stu, I hope all is well with you guys...your unit seems to have less issues than mine. Where are you these days??
Sammie, Your post has excellent information in it and I thank you, but as I stated, I have the 6 year extended Dometic warranty and it will cost me time but not money, I do appreciate the help though.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Ron,
We had the cooling unit changed on our 1402 this year while in Florida. Cover your floors as the disassembly will take up the entire living room/kitchen. The tech doing the work had done 2 previously and knew what he was doing. It took 4 hours to remove the cooling unit and 7 to reinstall. That refrigerator is a disaster in engineering. No wonder they gave up after 3 years. Nothing should be that complicated. If ours fails again, it's out, warranty or no warranty.
When you get to the cable system, you will be amazed at how simple it is. Wish I had it in both rear slides. Our upper cable frayed also. Not sure why, as it was properly aligned.
Feel free to contact me at any time.

Chuck
Old 09-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Time View Post
When you get to the cable system, you will be amazed at how simple it is. Wish I had it in both rear slides. Our upper cable frayed also. Not sure why, as it was properly aligned.
Feel free to contact me at any time.

Chuck
Chuck,
The system is ingenious and as you said....simple. I guess if you know what to look for as far as alignment right from the get-go, a person might avoid the issues. FYI, when I went to fix the cable it had already slipped inside the coach wall so I had a little more aggravation than I should have. But, now it's working great but I wouldn't want to do it too many times. Better to fix this type than a hydraulic issue, but I've had those too.

Regards,
Ron

Old 09-15-2011, 03:26 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Ron,
Glad all worked out well with the slide. How did you end up with the fridge problem?
Old 09-16-2011, 02:51 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Chuck,
I just came back from "visiting" my coach at the repair shop. The fridge is sitting in the middle of the floor waiting to be reinstalled in the cubby it belongs in. We are now at three weeks and counting. By the time I get it back, my RVing will be over for the season. But, life goes on....
Thanks for asking.

Old 09-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #12

Unreal, Ron...it has been a bad year for all of us....hope your back is healed up now...
bullydogs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:39 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On the accuslide cable the only tricky part is getting it through the pullies, if the cable end is where you can see it you might wish to tape a "Fish line" to it, fishing line is good here. If you move the slide it may pull the cable in where you can not get at it

Alternative.. Remove the panel you have to remove to access the motor, identify the cable and REMOVE THE NUT from the assoicated bolt (Cable end) so it does not pull in and pull out of the pulley.

You can very likely guess how I know this.