Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #1

Heartland RV Club
Zone Defense rear monitor

I am having a problem with my Zone Defense rear view monitor. On several occasions the monitor just blacks out. It seems to be near the end of a drive and consequentially near dark when it happens. The screen goes dark, I think a small red led is showing, and it will not respond to any button pushes. The next day it works normally. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I would also like to know if there are any upgrade options. I have three cameras, two mirror mounted and one on the back of the coach. The turn signal switches view from the rear to the appropriate mirror view. Sometimes this is a little aggravating, like when I am going to make a turn but would like to know what is behind my toad and what distance they are keeping behind the toad. I would have to turn my blinker off and wait for the cameras to switch. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Wiley
Rambling Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
I have the same unit, but with 4 cameras. So far so good. The GPS part of this is worthless. I would get in touch with the maker and go from there. It's at the end of it's life.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:23 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambling Man View Post
......... The turn signal switches view from the rear to the appropriate mirror view. Sometimes this is a little aggravating, like when I am going to make a turn but would like to know what is behind my toad and what distance they are keeping behind the toad. I would have to turn my blinker off and wait for the cameras to switch. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Wiley
Wiley,

I have tried for years to get used to the side cameras and just don't like to use them. I prefer to leave the rear camera on all the time and use my side convex mirrors. I have gone back and forth on keeping the turn signals triggering the side cameras and always go back to disconnecting that feature. I prefer to look at the rear camera and the convex side mirror several times before making a lane change. There is just to much delay in the rear to side to rear switching of the cameras. I feel blind when the rear camera is off.

You should be able to unplug the trigger signals from the turn signals and prevent your side camera from turning on when you signal.

As to your rear camera problem my first guess would be a low voltage problem most likely caused by a resistive connection. When the outside ambient light reduces at dusk a photo cell in the camera turns on multiple infrared LED's to illuminate the view for the camera. That will increase the current demand to the camera and if the connection is poor could reduce the voltage to a point that the camera stops working. When daylight returns the LED's go off and the voltage is back up and the camera works. Just a guess on my part but gives you somewhere to start. I would first climb up to the camera and remove it. Look for a connector and unplug it and spray with electrical contact cleaner.

Good luck,

Bob

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #4

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeigant View Post
It's at the end of it's life.
I think you are about right. I was close to putting it out of its misery the last time it failed.

Wiley
Old 03-08-2014, 10:40 PM   #5

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Wiley,

I feel blind when the rear camera is off.

You should be able to unplug the trigger signals from the turn signals and prevent your side camera from turning on when you signal.

That will increase the current demand to the camera and if the connection is poor could reduce the voltage to a point that the camera stops working. When daylight returns the LED's go off and the voltage is back up and the camera works. Just a guess on my part but gives you somewhere to start. I would first climb up to the camera and remove it. Look for a connector and unplug it and spray with electrical contact cleaner.

Bob
Thanks Bob,

I feel the same with no rear view and am going to do as you suggest with the triggers. I will have to look at the camera connections. I was thinking that it had to be the monitor since all the cameras quit working and the monitor was un responsive, but you have a point. Doesn't the line to the monitor supply power to the cameras?

I did find a bad crimp on my instrument panel ground wire this week. There may be more lurking around waiting to surprise me.

Wiley
Old 03-09-2014, 04:16 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambling Man View Post
Thanks Bob,

I feel the same with no rear view and am going to do as you suggest with the triggers. I will have to look at the camera connections. I was thinking that it had to be the monitor since all the cameras quit working and the monitor was un responsive, but you have a point. Doesn't the line to the monitor supply power to the cameras?

I did find a bad crimp on my instrument panel ground wire this week. There may be more lurking around waiting to surprise me.

Wiley
Wiley,

I misunderstood your original post and thought the side cameras were still working when the rear went out. Yes, all the cameras will turn on the LED's for night viewing and the total current consumption will increase. Still could be a bad connection in the power somewhere. Check the connectors at the back of the monitor.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:46 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I also don't like to use the side cameras while driving (can't see much in them and side convex mirrors have better coverage), and I prefer the rear camera on permanently. On my three-camera system (WELDEX WDRV-6800M), I found I can set the rear camera on "manual" mode (vs "auto" mode) and it will remain on regardless of the turn signal "trigger signal" being activated. I can set this by pushing the "rear" button at the bottom of the screen or on the remote - it toggles between "rear auto" and "rear manual". "Rear auto" changes to side views with turn signals, "rear manual" ignores turn signal triggers. Hope this helps.
Retd_ontheRd is offline   Reply With Quote