Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Thumbs up 1 Year Anniversary

We took delivery of our Excel exactly one year ago today. It's hard to believe we've been living in it full time for a full year--doesn't seem like that long. Of course, for a little over half that time, we were parked on our property next to the S&B house. But still, during the past year, we've only slept in the big house for 2 nights. Now that the house is empty and "on the market", no need to be there anymore. We don't miss the commute from Belen to Albuquerque AT ALL! "Living" at Kirtland AFB has been MOST convenient, especially for me since I work on base. However, temps here have already reached triple digits, so on 3 Jul, we'll be moving up into the East Mountains for the remainder of the summer.

Our Excel has far exceeded our expectations. The only "repairs" I've had to do was to change a few light bulbs! We couldn't be happier with our coach, or our decision to pursue this lifestyle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Truck & Excel-1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	342.5 KB
ID:	11506
gdbontly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Congrats to you and your lovely bride on your rig's anniversary!! Visiting for a couple days with you at the Kirkland Fam Camp proved to me that you guys are excel-lent parents to your rig. What a fine rig (and you guys are pretty darn cool, too!) . It's always been my opinion, that you get out of life what you put into it. Same for the rig! Congratulations once again. Many years of fun in your 1 year old baby.....and you're right....it goes quickly! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary! ! !

Earlier in the year, Feb. or March I think, I read your whole post about purchasing and starting to live in your coach ... it was fun and very interesting reading. It caught my attention because of you living in Belen (we're in Bosque Farms) and working on the Base (my husband retired from Sandia). We purchased our (new to us) 2006 Excel L-30RSO the end of March, and it's parked in our side driveway while we slowly make it "ours". Hubby is trying to figure out how to put a 26" HDTV in the "built-in" cubbyhole for the old CRT TV, without making a complete mess of the oak cabinetry. We like the pull-out, swivel tray that's in there, and would like to figure out a way to still use it. Then he has to make sense of the mess of unmarked cables in there, and in the bedroom TV cabinet (old-style TV in there, too)! And as for ME ... I'm going to have to learn how to "do" with considerably less "stuff"!!!

I figure that it will probably take us quite a few months before we finally can feel comfortable taking off on a long trip. That comfort level is probably the biggest difference in buying a used, rather than new, unit.

Again, congratulations on your first anniversary, and I hope that you are staying cooler in the East Mountains!
CynPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Pat and Cindi, welcome!
Old 07-05-2011, 06:10 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynPat View Post
Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary! ! !

Earlier in the year, Feb. or March I think, I read your whole post about purchasing and starting to live in your coach ... it was fun and very interesting reading. It caught my attention because of you living in Belen (we're in Bosque Farms) and working on the Base (my husband retired from Sandia). We purchased our (new to us) 2006 Excel L-30RSO the end of March, and it's parked in our side driveway while we slowly make it "ours". Hubby is trying to figure out how to put a 26" HDTV in the "built-in" cubbyhole for the old CRT TV, without making a complete mess of the oak cabinetry. We like the pull-out, swivel tray that's in there, and would like to figure out a way to still use it. Then he has to make sense of the mess of unmarked cables in there, and in the bedroom TV cabinet (old-style TV in there, too)! And as for ME ... I'm going to have to learn how to "do" with considerably less "stuff"!!!

I figure that it will probably take us quite a few months before we finally can feel comfortable taking off on a long trip. That comfort level is probably the biggest difference in buying a used, rather than new, unit.

Again, congratulations on your first anniversary, and I hope that you are staying cooler in the East Mountains!
Hi Pat & Cindi,

Sounds like you guys are doing the same as we did. It really helped living in the coach ON OUR property for the first few months before we moved away. We weren't very successful in selling our house (it was on the market for 5 months with only one viewing). But we just got a renter this past weekend; they move in this Wednesday! And they are signing a 2 year lease! I guess they would let us park next to the house in an emergency, but for all intents and purposes, we are officially full timers now!
gdbontly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbontly View Post
We took delivery of our Excel exactly one year ago today. It's hard to believe we've been living in it full time for a full year--doesn't seem like that long. Of course, for a little over half that time, we were parked on our property next to the S&B house.
Congrats....the time does go by quickly. It has been four years for us this month and it still seems like we just dragged it home. Our friends and family thought it was odd when we spend the night, on the weekend, in the Beast between trips.....wonder what they would say if we were living in it full time.

Glad that you were able to get a long term renter...know it would have been better to have a sell but with the market being what it is...hopefully the market will improve by then and makes it worth while to have waited.

CynPat...Glenn will agree that it takes a long time to get everything the way one would like. Even after four years we are still finding small things that makes life easier. Our present project is replacing the items that were in the Entertainment area including the BIG TV, replacing with a 32 LED. That has required a modification to our cabinet.

Does the 26" LCD that you are looking to use fit in/through the opening in your TV cabinet so it will sit somewhat flush or even with the front of the cabinet? OR is the cabinet opening to small to mount it on the swivel slide and have it pass through the opening? If so...could you post a picture of the cabinet that the TV sits in.

workhorse
Old 07-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Glad to hear that you have renters, Glenn ... it probably doesn't hurt one bit to have a little extra income! Hopefully it's enough to offset what you will need to pay to stay in the mountains!

Workhorse, I will see about getting pictures ... I've not even tried to get pictures off my phone before. Maybe I can get hubby back out there today with his camera. Actually, in order for the HDTV to be flush against the front of the cabinet, and the tray under it bolted to the TV, it would not be in the locked position for travel because it would not be able to fully retract. Pat needs to call RV Sales again today with several questions, so hopefully he will need to go out to the camper and I can get pictures for you.

Thanks!
CynPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #8

The reason I asked is because I was able to remove several pieces of my trim that would have made a 26" work in my space. That is to have it 'pass through' the opening or set flush with the opening.

The trim on mine on either side of the original opening was 1 1/2" sections that were 'filler' pieces and secured with Pocket screws and easliy removed. As I don't know what your cabinet looks like or where it is positioned...by looking at a photo I might be able to tell from the photo if you have the same 'fillers' I had.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:07 AM   #9

Happy Anniversary !!!and many more..
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote