Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
109 degrees

I have been wondering how our Excel would handle the amazing heat we have been having in Texas. I got the chance to find out. We came to Dallas to watch out grandson graduate from tech school. We stayed at an RV park just outside Weatherford. The temp was 100 by 11AM when we left and was 109 when we came back at 7PM. Our trailer is in partial shade. The temp inside when we left was 78 degrees and 87 when we got back. I realize the AC is good for about a 20 difference from the outside temp, but I believe the Excel handles cold much better than heat. I think from now on we will stick to the mountains. But, I still very much prefer our Excel to any motel room.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #2
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, you had the 20 degree difference. We don't have an Excel but the basement air works about the same 20 degrees that you experienced. Temperature inside 80-82 with outside 100-102. What really helped, besides parking in the shade, was to purchase the aluminum space foil, cut it to window size, and on the sunny side put it between the shade and against the window. It helped keep some of that penetrating heat out.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #3

I heard today that around Dallas they had to close the roads because the blacktop was bubbling... Now that's hot. I'm in eastern PA in the mountains right now and it's a blistering 74 degrees in the afternoon....
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
And it's been unseasonably cool here in Portland, OR sunny and 69*F and supposed to be 55*F tonight......pretty darn nice!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
How did the fridg do in those temps?
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:40 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
The fridge did very well. Don't have a thermometer in it,but the milk and soft drinks were as cold as ever. After thinking about it, I believe if we had run the AC long enough to cool the trailer down before we left home the temps would have been better. The trailer has been sitting in 100 degree+ temps for 6 weeks. That means everything in it was 100+. The cabinets, the furniture, the bedding, the carpet all had to be cooled down. I believe that is a big reason that it took so long to cool the trailer down. The second night, the AC didn't have to run all night. We left about noon and the ouside temp was 102, but it was still staying at 77 in the trailer.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:40 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We were in Mesa, AZ the last week of July. Mother-in-law fell, broken hip ,shoulder. We were leaving the RV before 8am and not getting back till after 8 or 9pm. Temps were 108- 110. I set the thermostat at 76 and left it all day. We would come back to a cool and comfortable RV. The AC actually shut off during the night. I think the secret was leaving it on all day so the interior articles did not get heated so the AC did not have to work so hard. Love my Excel!!!! Oh, yeah, the frig did great also. Nice bowl of hard ice cream before bed......umumm good. Love my Excel!
RET FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:43 PM   #8

It's supposed to be 20 degrees across the coil. 80 in 60 out. IF the room temp is 80.
Perry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After being in HEAT most of the summer, we've found that if we leave the thermostat alone, 75*, the A/C can keep up with keeping things cool. We are very happy with how cool we're staying with one A/C.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The 20 degF difference is not outside to inside temp to check A/C performance. If the unit is running on high fan and the difference between the unit air inlet temperature and air outlet temperature is 18 to 20 degF difference, it is working correctly.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote