Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2019, 08:24 AM   #1

1996 Excel E29CLJM

Hi All, I am new to camping and Rv"s and wanting to ease into it as we are slowing down. I don't want to make a huge money commitment and can always upgrade later if we choose. We are farmer/ranchers and have pulled fifth wheel trailers and have the pickups. A older person we know has a 1996 Excel E29CLJM fifth wheel for sale it looks to be in good shape for the age but hasn't been used for a year. .I don't like the pink carpet but is in decent shape, how hard is it change, do you go to the local floor guy? ?They say everything works but it hasn't been used for a year. The roof was replaced with a rubberized one about 14 years ago no leaks as we looked in every closet. . Any help on potential problems ,value, quality of product when new, OR should we look newer?
Thanks
Mom1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #2

Anybody have any thoughts ? Is it to old or were they built to last, is this as just as good as a newer RV.....?
Old 08-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Welcome Mom to the Excel forum. I didn't answer earlier as I don't know much about that old timer. Is it aluminum siding? I'm trying to picture your rig. Does it have slides. A pic or two of it posted here would be nice. Are you sure it's a Peterson Excel and not a Carson City Excel which is a different unit altogether. Just some things to help get us started to help you. Again, welcome aboard.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:28 AM   #4

Thanks for your thoughts

Thanks for replying I don't have pictures if you look at them in the late 90's you will get a good idea . It is a Excel by Peterson which was made a couple hundred miles from where we live. I am not so worried so much about value I am looking for a starter for cash than I can upgrade if this works . I am asking are they are good RV , do some things just get too old and fail because of age and wear out. There is one slide out that works appears to be in good shape. The rv needs a good does need a good cleaning{it is very dirty from storage and I don't like the rose carpet. How expensive is it to change? I am thinking about 4000 for the RV.Thanks
Old 08-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
I think it'd have to be in pretty decent shape to pay $4K. for it. This would be the type of rig that you'd have to be a DIYer to come out on. That said, I've seen carpet replaced for as little as $800 (on TX and MX border-substandard job) to $6K replaced at the factory!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 08-19-2019, 07:27 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you move on this you need to check and test everything, the slide, 12 volt system, 120 volt system, water pump, fresh water tank, city water connection, water heater, refrigerator, Some refrigerators and water heaters may operate on both propane and 120 volt power, propane tanks may have aged out and need replacement, battery(s) may need to be replaced, 120 volt to 12 volt converter, A/C if present, furnace, tires (likey aged out) brakes need to be checked, waste water tank valves, stove/oven. These items may be just fine or may need to be replaced or serviced.

Peterson Excels have been one of the best built brands out there, but all of the items listed above are provided by a third party. Same for all RVs.

A few years ago I bought a project travel trailer built in Denver in 1964. Needed lots of work, but to my surprise the original refrigerator, stove/oven and furnace still worked. Just had to replace the door seals and all was good to go.

If I were going into a somewhat unknown RV I'd offer a low ball bid unless everything tested good. All of this stuff can cost lots of money and if you are not a good DIY type lots of labor costs. Keep you eyes open and be ready to walk away at any moment. If there's any sign of water damage start walking now unless you're prepared to start tearing walls apart.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:14 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Fred, thanks, those are some good basic suggestions for looking at a older rig.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:17 PM   #8

Smile

We did buy the 1994 Excel paying $3550.It has the same as new tires, batteries were 2017, and the slide worked . We were told that everything works and no reason to think it don't, but it has been in storage a year. I hope we don't find a bunch of problems. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:37 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds good so far.

For safety sake check the brake operation. If you don'y know how have it done or find a friend with the skills and tools. Not really hard, but need to understand how they function.

There are "endless" threads on this forum about every aspect of RVing. Its a great resource for new owners and experienced folks. We all learn from each other and get new ideas.

Have fun and be safe....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:33 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom1958 View Post
We did buy the 1994 Excel paying $3550.It has the same as new tires, batteries were 2017, and the slide worked . We were told that everything works and no reason to think it don't, but it has been in storage a year. I hope we don't find a bunch of problems. Thanks for the help.
Welcome to the EXCEL family and the forum. Like Fred said, there is a lot of good info on this forum.

Curious about "same as new tires". Have you checked the dates on the tires. Tires can look like new and be old. Tires can age out before the tread looks worn. The tire's inner core can break down and fail causing a blowout.

I just replaced the tires on both the truck and trailer. The tires were seven years old with only 18,000 miles on them and they looked like new. Better to replace old "new-looking" tires before they come apart and cause damage to the trailer.

Carl
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:45 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Welcome Mom. We had our carpet replaced in Weatherford, TX. The cost was $750 for the carpet and $950 for labor. The gentleman’s name is Ernie Eckberg and his number is (817) 475-3991. Good Luck.

Tags
excel