Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2017, 04:42 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Steve Rankin
2000 EXCEL Limited 31RLE - Potential Buyer

Hi folks,

We are thinking about buying a 2000 EXCEL Limited 31RLE. The coach has some semi-known issues that we are trying to find out more about; especially getting a handle on what the repairs might entail.

The saleslady at the dealer has promised better photos soon, but this is what we have so far.

Note what appears to be a crack at the front lower corner of the bedroom slide opening. Also maybe something going on to the left of the generator.

Again, there appears to be a problem on the right side of the generator.

Comments? Suggestions?

Since Excel has closed their doors, does anyone have a suggestion where we could have potential structural repairs done?

We are in the Pacific Northwest, so we're trying to do our due diligence before pulling the trigger on what otherwise appears to a be lovely coach. I'm hoping to get more/better photos on Monday but itching to hear what others think.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve Rankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2017, 07:51 AM   #2

Hello Steve.

You certainly picked a good coach to consider. The Limited should get you the fiberglass roof, which is why we purchased ours. What has me concerned is the crack in the sidewall and I would probably avoid this one but if you want a more professional opinion, I suggest you call the Excel Service Center in Smith Kansas. It was started by former employees of Excel when they closed their doors. Ralph is the recommended guru by many but anyone who answers can help you.

Excel Service Center
617 E, Hwy 36
Smith Center, KS 66967
service@excelservicecenter.com
Phone: 785-686-3080
Old 09-18-2017, 12:33 PM   #3

An Excel 28-footer was on our short list about 10 years ago when we were looking for a rugged trailer for RV trekking in the Arctic. Discovered there's a whole lot to like about Excel then, but wound up going with an Arctic Fox instead.

My original "plan" was to take it to the factory and have them rebuild the front section IF we decided to go through with the deal. Then we discovered that Excel quit in early 2015. Major bummer. At least there's still a good source of service knowledge available to go to. We had a similar orphan situation with our 1995 Beaver Patriot.

No doubt that passing on this example would be the smarter thing to do, but I'm still going to follow through with the dealer to get better photos & info, then reach out to the Excel Service Center for their input.

Restraint may be difficult, though, since this model seems to be a perfect fit for both our needs and our wants.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live 2 Camp View Post
Hello Steve.

You certainly picked a good coach to consider. The Limited should get you the fiberglass roof, which is why we purchased ours. What has me concerned is the crack in the sidewall and I would probably avoid this one but if you want a more professional opinion, I suggest you call the Excel Service Center in Smith Kansas. It was started by former employees of Excel when they closed their doors. Ralph is the recommended guru by many but anyone who answers can help you.

Excel Service Center
617 E, Hwy 36
Smith Center, KS 66967
service@excelservicecenter.com
Phone: 785-686-3080
Old 09-19-2017, 08:07 AM   #4

Looks like water issues and judging from your comments could be extensive. Which would make me wonder about other areas. Might check rv sales moriarity New Mexico. They still sell excels and was the number one dealer for many many years.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by copilot View Post
Looks like water issues and judging from your comments could be extensive. Which would make me wonder about other areas. Might check rv sales moriarity New Mexico. They still sell excels and was the number one dealer for many many years.
You are correct. The dealer said the roof leaks - not leadED, but leakS - and there is water damage. No comments on what damage, etc. Tried steer me towards a Fleetwood. Gawd, I hate it when a salesman tries to foist something that's oh-so different.

We'd noticed that Moriarity seemed to have cornered the market on Excels. Good to know.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:14 AM   #6

We have bought two from rv sales and never been sorry. They sell artic fox and another brand also. Service after sale is good and you are considered family.

Tags
excel