Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2013, 06:04 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
2008 35 MKE couch slide floor ROT

Before we headed home from Florida I found rot in the 15 foot couch slide. Was in the chair compartment and could smell mildew and pulled the left hand corner up and could see black stains on the plywood. Have decided to tackle this now, talked with Ralph and found how the floor is put together. 3/8 plywood on bottom ,5/8 plywood strips and 5/8 bead board insulation sandwiched between another 3/8 sheet of plywood. Removed the couch and the chair storage, peeled back the carpet and found a lot of rot in the top 3/8 panel and the 5/8s strip down the right side and along the storage 5/8 strip. Now that I have that removed I am down to the bottom 3/8 floor sheet the rot here isn't as bad as the 5/8 stris and top sheet, have been using light heat and a fan on low. Checked today and almost dry even where it goes under the side wall but will keep the fan on it for a couple more days to make sure it's dry. Next I will use a product from West Marine called Penetrating Expoxy (I use this on wooden boats to repair wood rot) This stuff is 2 part mix and soaks in replacing and enhancing the fibers and becomes very hard and water proof. Smith Systems uses a product called CPSE epoxy and works the same way another is Endrot.) When that's dry will rebuild the 5/8 strips glueing them down ,staple and stainless screw them down and put the bead board back and inslall a new3/8 plywood top deck and glue,staple and screw that down and put the rug and other parts back. I have had 2 out of 4 slides at Smith Center but didn't want to have to make the trip to Smith Center very nice group but at the cost of fuel from Mass. made me think twice.

Dick
Rsteabag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Can u post pics of the progression of repair?
Old 04-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
Can u post pics of the progression of repair?
Yes I have some but never have posted pictures before?
Old 04-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
where was the water getting in?
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:53 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsteabag View Post
Yes I have some but never have posted pictures before?
Go to post reply in the upper left hand corner of this thread. A window will open.
Scroll down till you get to manage attachments and you can browse and upload from your computer. After you select the pictures be sure to hit upload.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:14 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
where was the water getting in?
Think that the water is coming from the frame that goes around the slide face. Where the frame makes a 45 degree turn to come down the sides. The 45 has some space and itis both legs of the 45 connected on the back of the 45 with a plate. I think it gets by that and follows it down to the floor. Also think when it gets to that area the floor is screwed from the outside wall with 4-- 3" screws and they go into the 5/8 plywood strips on the sides the floor is also screwed up from the bottom of the 3/8 plywood into the bottom of the side walls.. In thoes 5/8 strips is where I found the most rot and seems to wick to the 3/8 plywood top and bottom. That's my thoughts from what I have uncovered.

Dick
Old 04-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Dick,

May I suggest that while you are rebuilding your slide floor that you place a couple of extra 5/8 plywood to better support the floor. A couple of year ago I was at the factory looking at how floor are built with a friend as he thought his were soft. What we found was with my 300 lbs. of BS on top of the floor. it was soft in the area of the 5/8 bead board. By placing the extra 5/8 plywood you would have a sturdier floor in the slide.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
Dick,

May I suggest that while you are rebuilding your slide floor that you place a couple of extra 5/8 plywood to better support the floor. A couple of year ago I was at the factory looking at how floor are built with a friend as he thought his were soft. What we found was with my 300 lbs. of BS on top of the floor. it was soft in the area of the 5/8 bead board. By placing the extra 5/8 plywood you would have a sturdier floor in the slide.
I have already planned to add some to the width of the strips to give it more strength. Thanks for the tip.

Dick
Old 04-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
pics of 2008 Excel couch slide floor rot

Hope that the pictures are ok this is my first attempt

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8920.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	368.2 KB
ID:	37209   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8910.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	37210  

Name:	100_8912.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	375.7 KB
ID:	37211   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8916.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	37212  

Name:	100_8919.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	363.8 KB
ID:	37213  
Old 04-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Teabag,

Looks like you caught it real early on.....my old '05 model was a lot worse before we noticed. PI was very good about taking care of this know product concern. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Teabag,

Looks like you caught it real early on.....my old '05 model was a lot worse before we noticed. PI was very good about taking care of this know product concern. rockin'

Tom I had been watching it then one day it got real soft. Let the floor down an inch or so today on the rear side wall so I can get some air movement and heat under the wall and on that edge of the floor as it's still a bit damp. Hope to get the Expoxy on it this next week if the temps stay above 50. The weather station indicates that most of the week may only get to the low 50s. Need to open allt windows and vents with the fumes from this stuff,

Dick
Old 04-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsteabag View Post
Tom I had been watching it then one day it got real soft. Let the floor down an inch or so today on the rear side wall so I can get some air movement and heat under the wall and on that edge of the floor as it's still a bit damp. Hope to get the Expoxy on it this next week if the temps stay above 50. The weather station indicates that most of the week may only get to the low 50s. Need to open allt windows and vents with the fumes from this stuff,

Dick
Today was able to apply the Epoxy and now have to wait 24 hrs. for it to dry, then will put one more coat on. Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_8930.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	37513   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8933.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	37514  

Name:	100_8935.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	37515  
Old 04-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Tbag for the update......we'll keep watchin' for the progress report. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 04-28-2013, 09:42 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Thanks Tbag for the update......we'll keep watchin' for the progress report. rockin'
Yo-Yo Tbag,

We need an update!!! How's it going. Pix please!

Tags
slide