Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2009, 07:09 AM   #1

33TKE versus the 35TKE

We've decided the 36TKE is too much trailer for our truck, but having seen the 35TKE, we had no problem with losing that foot and a half. The 33TKE however, is two feet shorter than the 35TKE. I'm assuming from the floor plan that the bedroom and bath remain the same size, and that extra 2 feet are removed from the kitchen and living area.

We really want a shorter unit (ours is currently 39'9") but we have friends with a 33 foot unit, and while perfect for trips, would drive us nuts long term, which is what we generally use our RV for (contract jobs which require 1 year or so away from home).

Anyone with the 33TKE? Can you have the 12 cubic foot fridge in this model? Is the living room still spacious feeling, or does it feel a bit scrunched up?

It's really hard to tell from the floor plan how much smaller the 33 will feel.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2009, 07:36 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the 35' TKE and enjoy it muchly. The 33' gives up the slide pantry and the rear window. I think it's an individual thing about living in smaller areas. We went from 3700 sq ft to this 388 sq ft. I don't think going smaller would have been good for us. The 35' TKE has been great for us to live in full time.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:47 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeavor2BnC View Post
We have the 35' TKE and enjoy it muchly. The 33' gives up the slide pantry and the rear window. I think it's an individual thing about living in smaller areas. We went from 3700 sq ft to this 388 sq ft. I don't think going smaller would have been good for us. The 35' TKE has been great for us to live in full time.
Echo these comments -- we have a 35MKO, 388 sq.ft., and I'm not sure a 33' would be enough for us and our two girls (Bichons). Marilyn already drives me crazy and I have to escape to my truck to get away from her!!
Old 11-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefJohn View Post
Marilyn already drives me crazy and I have to escape to my truck to get away from her!!
Ahhh! Another reason for having the HDT. It's a good thing DW doesn't read this every day.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #5

Mmmm... okay that's what we're thinking, the 33TKE is probably just a bit too small, the 35 is perfect. We'd just like something smaller so we could hit more off the wall places... boondocking, my parents driveway, LOL 320 acres to park on and we can't make it down the drive!

Doesn't the 35 also give up the pantry if you want the 12 cubic foot fridge? I'll give up the pantry for more fridge space, but I definitely want a larger fridge.

As for the HDT... I have to say, we're glad to be back to a pickup truck.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
On the other hand, we fulltime in a 30RKE and do just fine. We didn't want a larger fifth wheel because 1) we didn't want a larger truck (we have a DRW Dodge 3500 w/Cummins) and 2) we do a lot of boondocking and wanted to get into as many places as we could...even with the 32' fifth wheel, there are still places we can't go.
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #7

I completely understand. That's one of the reasons we want a smaller unit. Smaller truck, and the ability to park in out of the way places. But so many places, anything longer than 30 feet is too big!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaH View Post
On the other hand, we fulltime in a 30RKE and do just fine. We didn't want a larger fifth wheel because 1) we didn't want a larger truck (we have a DRW Dodge 3500 w/Cummins) and 2) we do a lot of boondocking and wanted to get into as many places as we could...even with the 32' fifth wheel, there are still places we can't go.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:19 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
The only place I ran into problems with a rig longer than 30 feet was the older campgrounds in the LA metro area. They where made to accommodate the size of trailers in the 80’s. I had a 35 SKO before this 33 and in some metropolitan CGs you can get your trailer in the lot but have no room to park your truck. Only you can make that decision on length since you know where you want to park and how you want to live. Good Luck!!
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:52 PM   #9

Ya know, we (OK, I) did all that analysis stuff and what fits what tow vehicle and what length fits what camp site and what options weighted how much and how many people could we sleep with which floorplan, etc, for almost 5 years. It was amazing how all that went out the window when DW walked into a trailer with just the "right" floorplan.

CJ, just go buy one and have fun!!! David
Old 11-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjtinkle View Post
CJ, be aware, these guys aren't buying that the F450s you and I have are Little Girlie Pickups. I tried! David
Old 11-25-2009, 01:09 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Mmmm... Okay that's what we're thinking, ...the 35 also give up the pantry if you want the 12 cubic foot fridge? I'll give up the pantry for more fridge space, but I definitely want a larger fridge.

cj..welcome to the forum..I have read some of your blog so I know you also like to cook. I totally understand about the larger fridge!
I think if I was going to be in the rig F/T ...then my own personal preference would be for the GKM because I don't like to feel totally boxed in and I think I would on any other floor plan. I also want to be able to see the TV from my two main kitchen workstations..andI don't think any other floorplan would work for me. (Yeah..I know...maybe I might be a bit spoiled!)
All I can honestly say..is find what is right for you ...then go and enjoy life!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:20 AM   #12

Well in our house, the 450 is a girlie truck, it's mine! Hubby gets to drive the Matrix! I love that truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davydee View Post
CJ, be aware, these guys aren't buying that the F450s you and I have are Little Girlie Pickups. I tried! David
Old 11-25-2009, 04:23 AM   #13

That's the floorplan my hubby likes. We both thought the hallway into the bedroom was the coolest thing ever, but I don't care for the W/D being in the bedroom closet... and the downstairs is nearly identical to our current unit. The kitchen counter dividing the living area makes it feel smaller to me... but you have an excellent point about watch TV while you cook! I love doing that in our house. Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
cj..welcome to the forum..I have read some of your blog so I know you also like to cook. I totally understand about the larger fridge!
I think if I was going to be in the rig F/T ...then my own personal preference would be for the GKM because I don't like to feel totally boxed in and I think I would on any other floor plan. I also want to be able to see the TV from my two main kitchen workstations..andI don't think any other floorplan would work for me. (Yeah..I know...maybe I might be a bit spoiled!)
All I can honestly say..is find what is right for you ...then go and enjoy life!
Old 11-25-2009, 05:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Well in our house, the 450 is a girlie truck, it's mine! Hubby gets to drive the Matrix! I love that truck!
If you closely at the driver's window, you can see who does most of the driving of our "LGT"! BTW: She loves her "LGT", too! Of course the main ownership rule in our house is: what's hers is hers & what's mine is hers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0037 small.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	1886