Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
PJL

Additional Excel Factory Mods

We are looking to become full time RVers in the next few months, and have been researching 5th wheels. I leaning towards the Excel Winslow 37SDF ( or it's sister model with the door not in the slide), although I haven't ruled out DRV. Anyway, it appears Excel does a fair amount of user specific mods. My question is, on the Winslow, are there any such mods any of you think are best done by the factory that I should request when ordering my unit. I'm not looking for a discussion of stuff they list as "options" on their website, as I already understand those mods (and plan to include most of them). I'm looking for those things that I am not smart enough to ask about but that you are due to your experiences. Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Request vent fan upgrades to Fantastic Fan or MaxxAir.

I had to update mine after delivery. Would have been better to do at the factory.

I took delivery of my 2013 Excel Winslow 34IKE exactly a year ago. I heavily optioned mine.

To make discussion simpler, what options are you planning to get? Which do you not want. Without that info, it is hard to offer advice.

Here's the thread on my 34IKE including options:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f116/2013...ke-132958.html

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
PJL

drfife - Will gladly list most of the options I currently have on my list. They are below. What I'm after is more of the stuff folks have had Excel do for them that are not listed options on their website or brouchure. I've gleaned some of this from an earlier post of suggested product improvements owners would like Excel to consider adding as either options or std features, and found out that Excel has done some of these as 'custom' work for others. Anyway, these are the major listed options I am considering:

Rhino roof, power awning, 40# propoane bottles, Class III receiver, Mor-Ryde Suspension w/ disc brakes and 17.5 H tires, Glide ride pin box, premium carpet, MCD shades and light blocker vent covers, French door w/ obscure glass, padded ceiling, automatic leveling system, keyless entry, 2nd A/C w/ heat pump, convection microwave, Residential Frig, Swing arm mount for TV, SeeLevel tank monitoring system, Central Vac, Fireplace, Pivot EZ sewer hose, whole house water filtration, Electrical management system w/ surge protection.

Options I'm on the fence about include:
Full body paint, Onan generator, Laminate wood flooring, Reel EZ water hose, motorized SENSAR TV antenna

Although my question was originally more about items to think about that are not part of Excel's standard options, I also appreciate any comments regarding potential errors in my thinking of the option choices listed above. I agree with your thoughts on upgrading to fantastic fans (w/ rain sensors) and will add that to my list
PJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Have them install a second SeeLevel display in the utility center.

We got the laminate hardwood floors and full body paint, love them!

The Reel EZ water hose may no longer be an option. Even if it is, I would skip.

We opted not to do the padded ceiling and happy with our decision.

We got the central vac and rarely use it since we have hardwood laminate throughout. Only place we have carpet is in the slideouts and closets. They can delete the carpet in the livingroom and bedroom.

Skip the rain sensors and install MaxxAir FanMates over whatever fan you install.

They will install additiona 120V electrial outlets upon request. I had them add one to the storage area on the doorside.

Unless you will use the generator, don't buy it from the factory. Have it built with generator prep. You can install a generator in the future as desired. If you do get a generator get a gasoline or diesel generator. The propane versions go through a LOT of propane, and it's is not as readily available and portable as diesel or gas.

Upgrade the AV amplifier either with your order or aftermarket.

Install a Progressive Dynamics hardwired 50A Surge Protector with Voltage Protection and Remote Display. I think they will install it at the factory now. When I ordered, they did not.

We watch satellite TV with a Tailgater dish. The motorized antenna would have been a waste of $. In a year we've used our roof mount antenna 3 times.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 09-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
PJL

Thanks for the great reply. There are a couple of things in your post I will research online. A couple of follow-up questions: you state you seldom use the TV antenna - are you easily able to adjust the dish programming based on location to get local channels? I was thinking that was set at a specified location and was a pain to change as you travel the country. If easy to do, then I see your point on not worrying about a TV antenna. Second, could you expand a little on the AV amplifier. Is this simply the stereo receiver in the entertainment console or is it referencing something else. I was considering adding a wifi range extended after market, but wonder if would be better for them to wire directly to the roof so all penetrations are factory sealed. Again thanks for your insights.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
JDT

Russell has already given you a lot to consider. Maybe I can add a few more. On ours we had the gas oven deleted and only have a cooktop and the convection microwave. In place of the gas oven we have 3 large drawers that hold a lot of kitchen stuff. Also, we didn't get the fireplace and have a nice large cabinet in its place. We forgot about changing the carpet for laminate flooring and wish we had every time it rains or the grandkids are with us. Someday I will do it myself.

In my mind one of the most important is the residential fridge, a Samsung French door model RF197. Having dealt with numerous problems with a 12 cf Norcold in a motorhome the reliable cooling and freezing of the Samsung is wonderful. Our inverter hooked to two 6 volt batteries will run it for an extended period of time when we are not connected to shore power.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
We are looking to become full time RVers in the next few months, and have been researching 5th wheels. I leaning towards the Excel Winslow 37SDF ( or it's sister model with the door not in the slide), although I haven't ruled out DRV. Anyway, it appears Excel does a fair amount of user specific mods. My question is, on the Winslow, are there any such mods any of you think are best done by the factory that I should request when ordering my unit. I'm not looking for a discussion of stuff they list as "options" on their website, as I already understand those mods (and plan to include most of them). I'm looking for those things that I am not smart enough to ask about but that you are due to your experiences. Thanks
Welcome to the forum.

The things that don't show up on the option list that you should consider are electrical outlet's inside and out (placement). I would have also put a 12 volt outlet in the utility center. Remember that anything like a generator that can be installed with proper transfer switches is much better done at the factory because if you have any problem PI can get involved or take responsibility for the product "they" installed. I speak from experience on this matter that's why I now have a diesel genset in my coach. If not for the factory it would have been a lot more trouble or may not have been taken care of at all.
If you need cabinet changes they will do that for you. If you are thinking about solar panels on the roof get them to run the wire from the roof to just outside the battery box area.

Also, we had a built in U-line ice maker installed in the end of our Island. We use it all the time. I should have installed a dishwasher where the propane oven is, since it is just used for storage 98% of the time. I didn't have the option for power shades but if doing it again would add those. We love the padded ceiling....makes for a very quiet interior plus adds some insulation factor for heating and cooling. Since your going FT a washer/dryer would be a must and we use ours every trip.

Just remember that anything installed at the factory including TV's in bedrooms and garages cost a little more but are done right and are classified as factory installed options if you have extended warranty. Also, even if it's not their product (installed products) Excel will go to bat for you if there are any warranty concerns. They may possibly even replace the product and deal with that manufacture behind the scenes. If you install it after market or yourself to save a few bucks now....you will be on your own with that manufacture and the factory has much better buying power and warranty claim power with that manufacturer because they buy so much of it.

I installed many things on my previous RV. But, on the Excel I had everything that I thought I needed installed at the factory. Good luck with you selection of options and keep us posted. I have posted this list before but hope this helps.

1 -Brazilian Cherry Interior
1 -1001_ Box Springs Under Mattress
1 -1616- "E-Z" Up Coffee Table
1 -1138 10 Cubic Foot Refrigerator (2 Door)
1 -7169 French Door w/Night Shade in Hall
1 -1204 Panasonic 26" LCD TV in Bedroom (39SKM or Garage)
1 -1341 Motorized SENSAR TV Antenna
1 -1362 Winegard "Trav'ler" Sat Sys w/o Rec - Dish Network-wire DPP44 switch
1 -1303 Heat Pump -x- Air Conditioner
1 -72-- Padded Ceiling
1 -1442 Central Vacuum System W/Powerhead & VacPan
1 -1606 2 pc Front Load Washer/Compact Dryer
1 -8146 Second "High Volume" Fan W/Rain Sensor-Garage
1 -1302 Ducted 2nd Air Cond heat pump- 13.5 Coleman Low Profile
1 -6510 Electric Fireplace (N/A in W39SKM)
1 -1418 Pivot-EZ Sewer Hose Compartment
1 -7500W QD Onan Gen (Incl genset Ready & Energy Command)
includes 30 gal diesel tank and gauge
2 -40lb Propane Tanks
1 -1519W Disc Brakes w/ Michelin 17.5" Load "J" Tires - Incl Spare
1 -1524 H & H Electric Rear Stabilizer Jacks
1 -1540 Glide Ride Pin Box
1 -189 Electric "WeatherPro" Awning -x- Two Step
1 -2650 Patio Screen
1 -1123 Electric Lift Beds w/Sit -n- Sleep Sofa
1 -1570 30 Gallon Fuel Center
1 -Full Body Paint - Silver Mountain
1 -1175 SeaLevel holding Tank Monitoring System
1 -1539 Level-Up Fully Automatic Leveling System
1 -3051 Keyless Entry (Main Door Only)
1 -Side door security Camera connects to 42" main TV
1 -Install rear Backup camera provided by customer
1 -Panasonic 32" LCD TV In Garage
1 -Loft with 48" Mattress and Rear Facing Overheads into Garage
1 -1630 - One Piece Fiberglass Shower
1 -U-Line Ice Maker
1 -2nd WeatherPro Awning From Rear Slide-Out to Back End
1 -1199 Panasonic 42" TV In Livingroom
1 -8532 Performance Flooring -x- Linoleum in Kitchen & Bathroom
1 -Wifi Antenna & Cable with wire running into entertainment center as per link sent by customer
1 -2ga solar prep wiring
1 -Install Exterior Ladder on the LEFT Side of the Coach
2 -Swivel Arm for 42"& 32" TV in Livingroom and garage
1 -Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension
1 -Sit & Sleep Sofa to have New Style Facing Love Seats
1 -Magnum MS2012 Pure Sine Wave Inverter W/4- 6volt Batteries & Remote Monitor Panel
1 -Build larger battery compartment to fit 8-6volt batteries
1 -Dual Input Satellite Plates per TV (Requires 2 per DVR/PVR)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ADDED SINCE PURCHASE
3 -Kyocera KD235GX-LPB 235-watt solar panel's
1 -TriStar Remote Solar Meter 2 (TS-RM-2)
1 -Morningstar TriStar MPPT TS-60 solar controller
2 -Interstate 6 Volt Batteries GC2-XHD-UT batteries (6 total)
1 -Magnum (ME-ARC) advanced remote display panel
1 -Magnum (ME-AGN) auto genset start with temp probe
1 -Magnum (ME-BMK) Battery monitoring kit with shunt
1 -Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C 50 Amp Hardwired RV Surge Protector
1 -Cradlepoint CTR500 Mobile Broadband Travel Router
1- Battery Watering Technologies 6-6Volt battery watering system
1- TST 507 12 wheel tire pressure monitoring system
6 -Monroe Gas Magnum RV Shock absorbers 555001
1-Oxygenics Shower Head
1-TriMetric Battery Monitor TM-2025-RV
1-Battery Watering Technologies 6 x 6 Volt system
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
Thanks for the great reply. There are a couple of things in your post I will research online. A couple of follow-up questions: you state you seldom use the TV antenna - are you easily able to adjust the dish programming based on location to get local channels? I was thinking that was set at a specified location and was a pain to change as you travel the country. If easy to do, then I see your point on not worrying about a TV antenna. Second, could you expand a little on the AV amplifier. Is this simply the stereo receiver in the entertainment console or is it referencing something else. I was considering adding a wifi range extended after market, but wonder if would be better for them to wire directly to the roof so all penetrations are factory sealed. Again thanks for your insights.
We call Dish Network when we are outside our spot beam area and they reset to the zip code where we are. Very simple.

The stock DVD/surround sound AV amplifier unit in the Winslow is fair at best. I'm being kind. Consider upgrading.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 10-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I would carefully evaluate the location of 120v outlets, switches, and lights as per your needs. Upgrade to LEDs??
Old 10-02-2013, 04:44 AM   #10
PJL

Many thanks to all who have responded including those with PM. Your insights are valuable to newbies like us.