Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
We have success. It was an optical illusion, they were equal height as I inspected it closely after I read the question. The awning fabric actually slipped to the right (forward). The open space on the right side was 2/3 of the left side. I tried pulling the awning to the right first and the problem got worse. To move the awning I had to over-extend the awning until it was straight, which makes it a challenge to hold the tube and put it into the roll up mode. Then the whole awning fabric slides on the top tube rather easily if I press on the tube with my chest and my fingers pulling on the awning fabric. Pulling it further to the right made the arms line up much worse. Then I lowered it again and pulled from the rearward (left) side. This time the fabric moved a whole lot easier and I was able to scoop it back and forth freely using the tube against the chest method while pulling or pushing with my fingers. Sliding the fabric back and forth I placed it about equal distant to the left and right side. I then rolled up the awning and the arms were perfectly lined up, snap they went into each other.

We got a TON of rain on Saturday and a whole pile of leaves was rested up against the awning after the storm, that is why they showed in the photos. I am under a huge oak tree which has plagued us with debris ever since Oct 27th. If we come back I have a site chosen with no oak trees overhead, just a couple of palm trees off to the side (they are messy enough when under-pruned like they are here).

I just got a shipment in today of waterless car wash, but I am going to take a wand to the coach this weekend to remove the acorns and oak leaves from my roof and gutters. Then I will clean the roof and then wipe on the Ultra Ion waterless cleaner.

..... Oops, water break in the park .... gotta go fix it on overtime! Someone backed over the 4x4 post.

See ya,

Dave
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
It was a 3" main water break instead of the 3/4" pvc, Argh! I called the plumber once I found 100-amp service in the same channel as the 3" main. Back when the resort was just a campground 38 years ago there were no codes that had to be followed so water and power are often in the same place.

Anyway, to recap, the awning works smoothly now and nothing was really broke as it was just the awning fabric position on the tube that determines if it the side arms align or not. At least now I know what to look for as I see that problem all over the resort after windy days. I'd surely rather have the electric awning indeed, but when you buy an RT off the rack at a dealer's lot you get what was installed on it. I would also rather have 17.5" tires and disc brakes too. While I am at it they should throw in a L33GKE with all of my favorite options and upgrade the axles so it can haul 18,750 lbs, a hydro-lift and 6 gel-cell batteries with 600-watts of PV modules and an Outback inverter. Oh yeah, at least I have a plan to pull something worthy for my new future International Durastar 4400, LOL.

Thanks everyone for their help, when we band together some problems are no problem at all!!!!!!

Dave
Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KU9L View Post

Anyway, to recap, the awning works smoothly now and nothing was really broke as it was just the awning fabric position on the tube that determines if it the side arms align or not. At least now I know what to look for as I see that problem all over the resort after windy days. I'd surely rather have the electric awning indeed, but when you buy an RT off the rack at a dealer's lot you get what was installed on it. I would also rather have 17.5" tires and disc brakes too. While I am at it they should throw in a L33GKE with all of my favorite options and upgrade the axles so it can haul 18,750 lbs, a hydro-lift and 6 gel-cell batteries with 600-watts of PV modules and an Outback inverter. Oh yeah, at least I have a plan to pull something worthy for my new future International Durastar 4400, LOL.

Thanks everyone for their help, when we band together some problems are no problem at all!!!!!!

Dave

Glad you got it fixed and back in good working order, I gave up on awnings and only installed window awnings on each slide out and a 6 foot awning over each door. I leave them out all the time and never have to worry about strong winds destroying them. At least the ones I have now do shade the main part of my coach and if I want to sit in the shade I sit under the nose by the king pin box. This is a great learning thread and it was fun to see everyone jump in and help.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:07 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Glad to find this thread...same problem here on the east coast of FL with perpetual high winds. Never thought about fabric alignment...looks like I got a new project before we leave April 1st.

thanx again...love this forum
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
It is surprising how much 1/2" of mis-alignment made a difference in how the arms aligned, yet the fabric still looked okay staying straight on the roll up. I have a billion tiny tree seed fragments sticking to my awning and all over my rig, they are like super magnets. This weekend I will get the wand out to try to take control again. I need a recommendation for a good awning cleaner to get the black spots off on the under-side.

Dave
Old 03-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Ammonia and water, spray on the under side and roll awning back up to soak for awhile.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
I'm assuming you have an A&E Dometic A&E awning....I'm not sure I understand exactly what you have....I'm a country boy I-Q 14.....can you post a pic or 2 so I can see what's happenin'? rockin'

Rockin FYI......since I ordered my rig with no awning and special ordered what I wanted for awnings, I have CareFree. I did not think about what PI was installing when I put the link up. Does everyone have A&E?
Old 03-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #22

When I had the awning replace after purchase...spring and fabric was bad on original...had CW install a longer, and manual awning on the unit. It is a A&E...

...question?
Old 03-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #23

A & E Awning manuals:

Diagnostic service manual
Relacement instructions
Operating instructions
Old 03-23-2010, 04:11 PM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop View Post
Thanks!!!!!!!
Old 03-24-2010, 05:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop View Post

I don't know if others have had trouble opening the above Diagnostic service manual for A & E but here is another LINK.

On EDIT: when I try to open the LINK, it would not load quickly either, same as first. The other two did? Before I loaded it as a link...it opened normally. Has anyone had a problem with it? If so I will try something elso...
Old 03-24-2010, 08:00 PM   #26

Excel Owners Club
Opened ok for me.

Thanks for the links. Now I just have look at them from my netbook and can print what I need to know.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote