RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-31-2014, 07:21 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
37FLE w/ W/D + 3500 HD Diesel Dually + 20k Curt hitch == Almost effortless. This is my first time towing. Anything. Ever.

Get the truck as soon as posible so you become comfortable driving it before you hang your investment off the back. I managed about a month and was very glad to have taken the time.

techferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2014, 09:32 PM   #16

Excel 36 ft or greater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverc View Post
You will need a DRW for a trailer that heavy.I would look at 450 or better a 550 Classy Chasis trucks in Indiana is a place to take a look at.
I second this reply, you'll need a DRW , suggest you check out Classy Chassis in Valparaiso Indiana. They are the best at heavy pick-up conversions. I have a 36BDE and a Classy Chassis F550 crew cab DRW with air ride suspension and 488 rear end. Never a problem towing.

kjb999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:15 AM   #17

I want to thank everyone for their input to my thread. It has been very enlightening, all in a good way! Please keep the experiences coming on things I should consider.

I am now leaning toward a Dodge 3500 with a 3.73 diff., DRW, 4WD, Crew Cab, 8 foot box. My second choice will be Ford F-350, same configuration. Being a 3 time Ford diesel owner, current one 2011 F-250 I have been burned, or very unlucky, owner. I baby them but for some reason they hate me. Even if the Dodge had the same problems I would be better off since you don't have to take the front of the truck apart to fix something simple or big.

I always try to overkill with my tow vehicles, I like safety! I am envious of the Excel owners pulling with the 450-550 and Volvos. The 450 would work for me but the others are far to out of reach and the 450 too costly. More importantly my current plans, full timing, is not to move every week or so, I've done that over the years with my Airstream. i am planning on a destination and stay for a month+ then move on (Spring-Fall). In winter I will probably go South and sit the snow/cold out.

Another reason for the one ton dually is flexibility. I know its some what a compromise, if I am wrong please speak up, but at my destinations I need a truck that I can go down unimproved roads for trekking and fly fishing. This is what I will do ALOT! To go bigger than a one ton dually, my priority of being in the back country would be very limited and that's not negotiable.

Again, everyone, you have no idea how much I appreciate everyones help, input and encouragement.
gschooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:03 AM   #18

Excel Owners Club
gschooley,

Sounds like you doing the right thing as a minimum for a TV. In reviewing the posts here, I didn't notice if you were thinking of purchasing a new truck or not. Please remember that the newer models have higher towing capacity. If you go back just a few short years, the towing capacity on a 1 ton dually would be inadequate for your application. Just sayin'....rockin
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
You will be very well served by a stout DWR, brand is of your choice, or HDT. All trucks can tow but you need the stopping power and cooling of the heaver duty truck. Good luck and safe travels.
cwo4mstumpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:14 PM   #20

I will be buying a new truck. And yes to your point I was amazed how much they have improved in payload and towing, especially the new Dodge 3500 DRW. It's probably the tops on my list.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gschooley View Post
I will be buying a new truck. And yes to your point I was amazed how much they have improved in payload and towing, especially the new Dodge 3500 DRW. It's probably the tops on my list.
GS
Excellent choice. All use urea now to reduce emissions so the one with the proven engine and transmission is the dodge with the chevy a close second. I have a 2007.5 dodge with the 6.7 and 68rfe transmission, my engine had the DPF which I removed at 38k when the head gasket went, dealer replaced under warranty even though the engine had been modified (DPF removed and Smarty tuner added). With the new trucks the emissions system is better even though you have to add urea every so often, over 350 hp and 800 ft pounds of torque you will have plenty of power and with the disc brakes on the 5th wheel you should have no problems. My rig totals over 24.5k and doesn't have the disc breaks on my 2007 35flr and I have had no problems but I do have to be careful and leave plenty of stopping distance. good luck and safe travels.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gschooley View Post
I want to thank everyone for their input to my thread. It has been very enlightening, all in a good way! Please keep the experiences coming on things I should consider.

I am now leaning toward a Dodge 3500 with a 3.73 diff., DRW, 4WD, Crew Cab, 8 foot box. My second choice will be Ford F-350, same configuration. Being a 3 time Ford diesel owner, current one 2011 F-250 I have been burned, or very unlucky, owner. I baby them but for some reason they hate me. Even if the Dodge had the same problems I would be better off since you don't have to take the front of the truck apart to fix something simple or big.

I always try to overkill with my tow vehicles, I like safety! I am envious of the Excel owners pulling with the 450-550 and Volvos. The 450 would work for me but the others are far to out of reach and the 450 too costly. More importantly my current plans, full timing, is not to move every week or so, I've done that over the years with my Airstream. i am planning on a destination and stay for a month+ then move on (Spring-Fall). In winter I will probably go South and sit the snow/cold out.

Another reason for the one ton dually is flexibility. I know its some what a compromise, if I am wrong please speak up, but at my destinations I need a truck that I can go down unimproved roads for trekking and fly fishing. This is what I will do ALOT! To go bigger than a one ton dually, my priority of being in the back country would be very limited and that's not negotiable.

Again, everyone, you have no idea how much I appreciate everyones help, input and encouragement.

Don't be envious of those of us who have Volvo's & a Smart car. To have the safety & versatility that you want, my Volvo, with the custom bed, and the Smart car was less than the new Dodge dually that you are currently looking at. It is definitely less than the 450 / 550 or M2. I love the 40+ mpg with the Smart and the stopping power of the Volvo. Then again, I'm prejudiced.
Tim
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:37 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwo4mstumpf View Post
GS
Excellent choice. All use urea now to reduce emissions so the one with the proven engine and transmission is the dodge with the chevy a close second.
Well, that's an interesting comment.....and let's just say we can agree to disagree. My business sell's replacement transmissions from ATS Diesel in CO. The sales of Dodge transmissions out numbers GM and Ford 10 to 1. I love Dodge trucks since they keep my business rolling right along.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:00 AM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Which Dodge Transmissions are you talking about?
happy tails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:09 AM   #25

I will choose the AISIN transmission option.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:17 AM   #26

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Well, that's an interesting comment.....and let's just say we can agree to disagree. My business sell's replacement transmissions from ATS Diesel in CO. The sales of Dodge transmissions out numbers GM and Ford 10 to 1. I love Dodge trucks since they keep my business rolling right along.
And your comment is interesting and enlightening. I don't and wouldn't have one.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #27

Excel Owners Club
Great choice, that transmission wasn't avail 2007.5 for the PU only in the CC or I would have elected the Aisin transmission.. So far the 68 rfe has been a good transmission for me with 82k miles on it. I do a transmission fluid change every 30k vs 60k as I tow a lot and its cheap insurance. BTW didn't know there was such a tremendous amount of trouble with the 68rfe transmissions. What is the top problem, torque converter?????
Old 09-04-2014, 08:59 PM   #28

Location: I travel this great country working on refineries and industrial plants.
I just bought an 2015 F-350 DRW longbed. I pull my '34 Fleetwood that weighs about 15,000 but it's rated to pull a 23,500 lb. 5'er legally. I can barely tell my RV is behind it. I suggest driving the Ford before buying the Dodge. Good luck!!

Tags
advice, excel, pen height, rail clearance, ram dodge 3500 4wd dually, tow