Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2007, 05:23 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Did the door latch mechanism update this weekend. Pretty big job, but thanks to my neighbor who has a strong back helped me R&R this 90 lbs. hunk of junk. Lynn at Midwest Sales was nice enough to send the parts at N/C as it is a known product concern. Working OK now. Anyone know what my potential next failure will be on this Apollo?
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2007, 04:59 AM   #16

Excel Owners Club
After doing the latch mechanism fix (Twice with the same replacement part since I did not get the tabs bent back correctly the first time.) we have not had any problem with our Apollo 1/2 time oven. It seems that the new material that the latch mechanisms has solved the problem. (How do you cross your fingers in an e-mail.) This is good as I do not look forward to having to replace the kitchen cabinet for a new Microwave/Convection oven. Good luck with yours.

Curt Brown
2005 35MKO

2005 35MKO
Curtis Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:46 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Curt! I will need the luck. So far so good. Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 04-05-2007, 01:09 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Chief,
You are one lucky guy. Wished you could give me some!! Ha. Tom (rockingtom) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,
You must have jinxed us -- DW was cooking a couple of spuds in the Apollo and I've got the chicken on the grill. She comes to the door and I can tell by the look on her face that something has gone wrong? She stated she noticed the door on the Apollo closed somewhat harder than normal and then she couldn't open it. It appears the internal latch release mechanism broke--the push button release no longer opens the door.
I was able to insert a slim-blade common screwdriver between the door and control panel and with a little force, the door popped open. Called Jack (****, what would we do without a "hot-line" to Jack?) and the prognosis is not good--he's (Apollo) ailing and there may be no easy cure!
Fortunately we had a cheap ($39) WalMart microwave in the truck so we're OK for now. Another item for the Smith Center list.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Sorry Chief,

Misery loves company! Ha. The new (replacement) latch lever is made out of nylon vs. plastic. Should prove to be more "robust"! Tell your bride it's all her fault, she just too hard on the equipment. Ha. Good luck guy. Aren't we lucky these are the only problems we have.........Could be worse, we could own a SOB! Later, Tom
Old 04-06-2007, 04:21 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Tom, thanks for your empathic response! Yes, "Misery loves company!" and, based on my recent internet research, there are plenty of disgruntled Apollo owners with whom we can commiserate.
Thankfully I don't own SOB as PI provides a 2-year warranty on all their coach components. We are indeed "lucky" if these are the only problems we have to deal with as life is too short to worry about the small sh##.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:38 PM   #21

we had our 1/2 time oven replaced at PI. now when the fan or hood light is on, they turn off when we open the oven door. the old oven did not do that. i did notice the old oven had two cords to plug in and the new one only has one. do others have this same thing happen?
rfhtlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:57 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
My fan and hood light also turn-off when you open the door??
Old 04-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Ours has one cord and the fan & light go off when you open the door......if you CAN get the door open. Just a joke! Later, Tom
Old 04-11-2007, 03:34 AM   #24

Our Apollo also gave up while we were in Illinois. I simply replaced it with a n LG model that fit perfectly in the same space . All without loss of any cabinet space
Jack_tenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:02 AM   #25

Excel Owners Club
Hi Jack,
Please give us some more details. What brand is the LG model? Where you get it and how much did it cost? Thanks for the info. Tom
Old 04-11-2007, 04:09 AM   #26

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack_tenn:
Our Apollo also gave up while we were in Illinois. I simply replaced it with a n LG model that fit perfectly in the same space . All without loss of any cabinet space </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jack,

Although we have had "0" problems with ours, knock on wood, I was wondering if the LG you found also has the convection oven feature? That's the part of ours we use the most...have really enjoyed it.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:34 PM   #27

This is in reply to rockintom and Highhturn

After quite a bit of research, we opted for the LG Model LMV1314B ,1.3cu. ft "over the range" microwave(No convection as my wife seldom used it)
This unit was 24-1/4 inches wide x 17-1/2 inches tall and fit into the opening in our 2004 FLR Excell. It took a small amount of retrofitting , but worked great.

The cost was $286.99 , no sales tax and I purchased it online from "the newconnection.com

I hope this answers your questions, if not email me again
Jack_tenn is offline   Reply With Quote