RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Atwood Water Heater Gas Valve Solenoid Tip

My neighbor has a 2 year old SOB trailer with a Atwood 10 gal water heater (similar to ours, but no mixing valve). He's been running it on propane all winter since we are paying .79-.89 a gal. for propane!!! Anyhow it quit all of a sudden yesterday and he asked for my help. After going through all the normal common areas that usually plague this heater, I found that one of the solenoids on the gas valve was open internally. Both valves must function for gas to flow for safety reasons. I went to looking for a set of solenoids and found that Atwood water heater doesn't service just the solenoids.....only a gas valve assy. for $100+. Ouch! Long story short, after doing some research, I found that Atwood Hydro-flame furnace does service the solenoids separately. They are listed as White Rodgers Valve Coil part #41-1738. You must install new female wire terminals to use these solenoids, otherwise they are the same. Cost is $20. per solenoid. Our local RV parts house here in little Hemet, CA stock 6 since they are somewhat problematic. Hope this helps someone down the line! Click on photos to enlarge. rockin'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas Valve Atwood Water Heater.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	86009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas Valve Atwood Solenoid 41-1738.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	86010  

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2015, 08:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
That's great information! Years ago I ran into the same problem and had to rewind one of the two copper coils! It would have been a whole lot easier to just replace the coil.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:18 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Thanks for the heads up!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:37 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Tommy, how did you isolate the issue to the solenoid (s).
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 01:45 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Tommy, how did you isolate the issue to the solenoid (s).
Dumb luck....just kiddin'! When running on propane you should have B+ to both gas valve solenoids which I did. I could feel the solenoid click so thought all was OK. Wrong....one solenoid was open and not functioning. They are so close to one another it's hard to tell. Used a DVOM to check for resistance in each solenoid. One was open (bad) and one was good. Like I said earlier, both solenoids must be energized to allow gas flow. After installing the new solenoid and terminals, I dry tested it before reinstalling it on the heater. Simple as that. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atwood, heater, water heater, water, gas