Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2014, 02:31 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Yea doc mine is a basic unit now with all the wind/temp gadgets un plugged..I never really trusted it anyway but it really has a mind of its own now...lol. the key fob remote work great and I like that feature. But if I'm getting a stray signal from somewhere or something I have it disabled. Maybe it's those Blackhawk choppers flying up and down the Rio Grande right behind us!!!!...What have I got us into!? Lol..
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2014, 10:03 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Chief we don't have those chopper flying over us on this side of the RGV. Sure don't miss them either.

2012 36RKM; Didymop
2005 1-ton Dually: Kemosabe
2008 Solara Convertible: Jake
Old 12-19-2014, 07:34 AM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Yea doc mine is a basic unit now with all the wind/temp gadgets un plugged..I never really trusted it anyway but it really has a mind of its own now...lol. the key fob remote work great and I like that feature. But if I'm getting a stray signal from somewhere or something I have it disabled. Maybe it's those Blackhawk choppers flying up and down the Rio Grande right behind us!!!!...What have I got us into!? Lol..
Just wanted to mention an important safety reminder. Working around an awning can be dangerous. Especially in the automatic mode. On the Dometic Weather Pro if you have the awning in the automatic position and it is extended, the system uses the wind sensor to retract. When you open that connection the awning closes by itself (as default). Arms, hands, fingers and etc. could get pinched if you are not careful.

Be sure you have the awning off or in the manual mode before disconnecting the wind sensor. Just FYI! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #18

I read these comments with great interest as I just picked up my new FW but turns out my awning is only automatic in the sense I have to press and hold a button to open and close it; no auto sensors, thank goodness. But, I have to ask, why haven't you all tried to return these units as defective products? If you buy a television at Best Buy and it turns itself on and off, wouldn't you return it?
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Many of use have had multipal attempts at warranty repairs and boards and sensors replaced. When mine was new and they couldn't fix it after many attempts I asked for a refund for the value of that option. I was told "that's the way they are, they are finicky dont trust them always close the awning when it's windy or when you leave"...duh really. Anyway, 4 years old now not going to worry about it anymore. Its disabled. I just wanted folks to know about the recent retracing and extending on its own. That part is new.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Many of use have had multipal attempts at warranty repairs and boards and sensors replaced. When mine was new and they couldn't fix it after many attempts I asked for a refund for the value of that option. I was told "that's the way they are, they are finicky dont trust them always close the awning when it's windy or when you leave"...duh really. Anyway, 4 years old now not going to worry about it anymore. Its disabled. I just wanted folks to know about the recent retracing and extending on its own. That part is new.
Based on your recent description of whats happening, I say you now have a module/wiring problem (on top of the wind sensor issue). The wind sensor does not have the ability to extend the awning....just retract. I'm with you. I wouldn't fix it as you still wouldn't have proper operation due to the crap wind sensors. It's amazing that Dometic pleads innocence on this issue. Even if you do get a contact thru the back door to the tech dept., the answer is "we have no known issue"....take it to an authorized Dometic dealer for repair. THAT DON'T FIX IT DOMETIC!!!!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning