Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #1

Axle Flip

Purchased my first fith wheel and the Excel dealer in Phoenix stated that the axel needed to be relocated below the springs in order to fit my stock 2006 GMC 4x4 pickup. I agreed to the modification after being assured that there will be no change to towing performance. What I found after parking the coach at my home was four shock absorbers were removed. I asked the dealer about the change and was told they no longer fit. This was not disclosed at purchase. Question is, has anyone purchased special mounting brackets or shock extensions such that the shock absorbers can be reinstalled? The Excel tech staff did not give me a comfortable feeling that it will tow safely in challenging conditions with the axel flipped and shocks removed.

Frank
FGarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2009, 10:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Frank, That sounds like a can of worms from the start. I would at least demand shocks be installed. First contact the mfg. and ask for the proper way to connect to your specific truck. My $.02.

Mike
mfire1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:15 AM   #3

Yep, that just doesn't sound right. Call Peterson Industires and ask to speak with Curtis Peterson. Let him know what's happened. Let us know how it turns out. David
Old 08-25-2009, 05:50 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
Frank, That sounds like a can of worms from the start. I would at least demand shocks be installed. First contact the mfg. and ask for the proper way to connect to your specific truck. My $.02.

Mike
Wow, I agree with Mike. I'm not sure you have to talk to Curtis. I think there are other folks in the Service Center who could answer your question like Ralph Barnett or Jack but do talk to someone there. My $.02 worth looks just like Mike's. I think you are in for a can of worms. Unless you have a lift kit on your truck, seems to me as though you should have been able to ajust the hitch pin to level the trailer?????
Old 08-25-2009, 07:46 AM   #5

We towed our 35-MKO home from the dealer with our stock 2005 2500HD 4x4 since I was waiting on the F-550 deal to close. I didnt have any clearance issues with the bed rails. I would be concerned with handling getting a fiver this heavy any taller off the ground than it needed to be.

Thanks

Bob
Old 08-25-2009, 09:51 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Honestly I don’t think I’d want to pull an Excel with flipped axels‘….let us know how it pulls around curves.

BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:01 PM   #7

Thanks for the good feedback. The Excel was purchased at a dealer that is a factory service center. I think any resolution of substance will need to come from the Excel. Curtis will be my next call.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:14 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGarrett View Post
Thanks for the good feedback. The Excel was purchased at a dealer that is a factory service center. I think any resolution of substance will need to come from the Excel. Curtis will be my next call.
Maybe I need to clarify my statement. I do not think you can hold Excel liable for what your dealer did. My suggestions was to ASK their opinion. If a resolution is actually needed, the dealer needs to fix the situation.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:00 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
I think when they did this on lighter trailers they rewelded the brackets for the shocks. FGarrett since this is you’re first fiver what hitch did you purchase? The pin box has different settings and so should you’re hitch. I think Excels are high enough that they can be adjusted to be pulled behind any manufactures’ Pickup Truck…M2CW....

BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Frank,
I mistakenly had the axles "reversed/flipped" on my first Excel. About 5000 miles later I found that the spring shackle mounting brackets on the frame had bent which shifted the axles about 1 1/2 inch towards the drivers side of the trailer. I then learned from the dealer who did the repair and replacement of the axles in their proper position (not the dealer I purchased from) that Peterson Ind. did not recommend "reversing" the axles. Peterson's position on the issue may have changed since that time. I do not know.

Curt
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGarrett View Post
Purchased my first fith wheel and the Excel dealer in Phoenix stated that the axel needed to be relocated below the springs in order to fit my stock 2006 GMC 4x4 pickup. I agreed to the modification after being assured that there will be no change to towing performance. What I found after parking the coach at my home was four shock absorbers were removed. I asked the dealer about the change and was told they no longer fit. This was not disclosed at purchase. Question is, has anyone purchased special mounting brackets or shock extensions such that the shock absorbers can be reinstalled? The Excel tech staff did not give me a comfortable feeling that it will tow safely in challenging conditions with the axel flipped and shocks removed.

Frank

2005 35MKO
Curtis Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:34 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Frank,
Don't leave us hangin'. Come back and tell us what you found out and what the final resolution was.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #12

I have some fairly recent experience with this. My last truck was too high to safely tow my 35RKO. The trailer simply could not be leveled with necessary bed rail clearance even though the 2WD truck was stock. Late last year I spoke with Excel service (Jack, I think) and his recommendation was to install longer spring mounts that went several inches beyond the standard 3-hole setup. He did not recommend flipping the axles. The cost for parts was very reasonable but installation would have been the bigger ticket expense as it would involve grinding off the stock hangers and welding new mounts on.

I needed a truck with more towing capacity anyway so I ended up with one with a lower and shallower bed that allowed my to level my coach for safe towing. In addition, I changed the spring mounting position to the lowest set of holes and that bought me an inch or two of added height. The rear leveling jacks still drag occasionally but I can live with that.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #13

The status so far on this is Excel is stating there will be no adverse impact to performance or warranty. However, it is based on a phone call between Excel and the sales person I purchased from. I will be sending Excel photos of the axle and bed clearance for their review and have asked the dealer for a OEM response in writing. Unfortunately I will not be able to take the photos until Labor Day weekend. So far they seem to be backing up what they say. When I get a signed letter on Excel letterhead that states there is no adverse road performance impact and no warranty exceptions I will feel much better. Plan to keep this coach a long time.