Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-21-2017, 12:28 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Axle flipping

In order to get a better level while hitched, I'm considering "flipping" the axles from under to over slug, to get axles on top of the springs. This would raise the trailer perhaps 4 inches. What are the experiences in doing this? Any real issues about center of gravity, or is that an academic exercise? What about handling in higher winds?

I'm not really off much at all right now, but I'm also planning on installing some air bag levelers on the rear springs to remove a little sag on the rear of the truck. This may bring the front the trailer up enough to create a more significant out of level issue. Also I would not mind gaining a little more clearance above my truck bed rails.

I could see this threat going off about axle weights and balances and gross weights etc, I'm hoping to just focus on the key questions above.

2007 30RSO and 2007 RAM 3500 4x4 LB,CC

rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2017, 06:15 AM   #2

You don't actually flip the axles. You pull them out and weld saddles on other side of the axle tube. I looked into this myself. There is a welding shop near me that builds trailers. They were going to charge me $600 to do it. I doubt you even notice the extra few inches in the wind. Your bottom step will be higher.

jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:34 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Fred, PI advised against flipping axles. I forget all the reasons why, but you'd have to modify the shock mountings.

Do you have the spring perch bolts in the bottom hole to give you the highest ride?

Having the rig just slightly high in the front is not a real problem.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:57 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
The big difference I noticed was in height, bottom step to ground, and ground to bays. Pulled the same. I'm sure u know this but only raise each corner a couple inches at a time. Good luck. BTW I did it to match my old Alfa with a new truck before I got the Excel.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:00 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Also, I learned from u that bring slightly high in front is not good. Can cause skidding on front axle tires which cost me 2 very expensive load j tires.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:01 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
What is ur current height?
Old 11-21-2017, 07:13 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
Also, I learned from u that bring slightly high in front is not good. Can cause skidding on front axle tires which cost me 2 very expensive load j tires.
Drove around many years like this and never had an issue. Maybe the amount of "slightly high" is the difference. Also brake controller setting could contribute to that issue.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 11-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #8

'Axle Flip'

Raises trailer overall height
Amount is equal to diameter of axle tube plus spring perch

Leaf Springs are relocated from UNDER axle tube to ABOVE axle tube
Axle tube is not rotated/relocated etc as it needs to remain with UPWARD Bend
New Spring perches are welded to top location on axle tubes

Some over/under axle kit 'perches' are bolted on type vs welding

2" nose high........not worth flipping

3" PLUS nose high....worth it and will see better tracking, towing, less sway and better weight distribution across axles/tires

IF you have adjustment holes in spring shackles------
Each hole is roughly 3" difference

I raised my 5th wheel 3" by moving leaf springs to lowest adjustment hole in shackles.
Springs were already on TOP of axles
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Thanks O-B for adding more detail to this conversation. I have to agree. Here's a Dexter Axle conversion kit.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:03 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
I just went out hitched up and got measurements. When hitched, the truck settles 2.5" at the rear axle and the trailer is sitting nearly bubble perfect level.

My take on this that the 2.5" is no big deal. I've towed this way for several years and thousands of miles now and have not noticed any bad ride or handling. Feels almost the same as when not towing aside from the weight.

Unless someone can explain why a 2.5" drop is bad in some manner, I think I'll leave well enough alone. The overload springs are engaged but still lots of curve left in them when hitched. I checked the hole location of the spring shackles to the sub-frame. The equalizer is in the bottom hole while both front and rear spring shackles are in the second hole up. I suspect I'd be better off if I got all of them in the same hole alignment- any thoughts.

Perhaps next time on a scale, I'll also get weight for each trailer axle. Never found any accessible scales around here where I can get single wheel weights for balance considerations.

Tom, I did check out the remounting of the shocks if doing a flip and the distance from the frame mount to the bolt plate would become very short- likely a problem requiring re-welding the frame end of the shock mounts. Just wondered about a different solution. Mount the axle under the springs as normal with a bolt plate without the extra width and holes for shocks. Then use a second set of u-bolts and use a bolt plate made for shocks and mount it under the axle on the existing bottom spring perch. Don't know if the shock would clear the top bolt plate, but if it did clear, how would this work? A very different arrangement but might solve the shock issue.

Thanks for the ideas.

I do really understand how flipping works, that's why I put quote marks around "flipping" in the OP. Just a term many people understand for a slightly more complex change.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:50 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
The equalizer is in the bottom hole while both front and rear spring shackles are in the second hole up. I suspect I'd be better off if I got all of them in the same hole alignment- any thoughts.

Fred, Clearly set the shackles to the lowest holes (the one closest to the ground). This will raise the rig to it's highest ride. About 1.5" inches higher than you are right now. HTHs. Your fix just got cheaper.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:15 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Tom, I'll do this when I repack the wheel bearings in the spring and already got her up on stands and wheels off.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:26 PM   #13

Truck settles 2.5" (as designed----OL Springs just engaging)

Trailer sits 'bubble level'

SO WHY change anything????

As for spring shackle/equalizer adjustment holes

Notice equalizer has only TWO where the spring shackles have THREE

Current installation (Equalizer in bottom hole---springs in middle hole) is correct.
Changing springs to lowest hole will RAISE trailer OVERALL height roughly 3"
Which is NOT needed as trailer sits bubble level when connected to truck\\

NO need to change anything.

I went to lowest hole on my 5vr as a I needed to raise trailer for level tow
Springs WERE in middle hole--equalizers in bottom hole prior to lifting trailer
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:46 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
O-B....I hear what you're saying...but my 3 Excels changing the shackle from the mid to lowest hole only raised the rig 1.5". The holes are 2" apart. I figured .5" difference was due to higher gravity since it was settin' higher!!!! Ha. Just being silly.