Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
JDT

Axles

I think I post more questions than may be allowed by law, but at least it helps keep this site active. I have been mulling over things I can do keep the Winslow going for a lot longer and I keep going back to the axles, hubs and suspension. May be overthinking it but I have had a few break downs on the road which were painful experiences. I don't care to have any repeats.

So, just curious how others are faring with the Never Lube by Dexter axles. I have around 35 to 40K miles on our 7k set with disc brakes and 17.5 wheels. The never lube part is what worries me as how can you do preventative maintenance on something that supposedly needs none? Do you just keep going till the big breakdown occurs. I keep thinking at some point there will be an issue but so far so good. I check for play at least once a year and they are still solid but nothing lasts forever. Is there anything that can be done to prevent a failure of some sort since they can't be lubed? Also, what do I need to watch for as signs of a problem?

Not related but I did the procedure to my leveling system to add a quart of motorcycle fork oil. On the road for 9 days now and not one popping noise heard from the jacks.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2017, 10:58 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Jim, you are a bit of a worry-wart. Ha! That said, the only thing you can do for Nev R Lube bearing is normal check with heat gun at stops. It doesn't take long to walk around and zap the hub area of he wheel (if you don't have gun, grab you hand around the center wheel cone to compare temp). If you have one that noticeably warmer then I'd be checking that bearing. The bearing are sealed and may weep just a bit of grease and gets on the wheel especially when new. Normal, no problem. You checking the wheel/tire for end play at least once a year is good (.040-.050" is normal). My three Excels I've owned in the 13 years......I've never had one issue with a Nev R Lube bearing. I used to carry an extra but finally sold it. I know there have been failures that you hear about. I bet many of them were caused by side impact or thrust damage (hard curbing, etc) Again checking hub temps at stops while checking tire temps is a good way to head off major problems.

The fork oil procedure only slightly improved my jack "slip/stick" noise.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:28 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
I don't think you're worried enough. Before your bearings fail, your springs will break. I don't know of any way to predict when that will happen, but it was at about about six years for us. The overload stops were a little shallow, allowing the tire on the broken spring side to contact the floor of the slide. Just enough to burn through the sheet metal and ignite the flooring, but not enough to damage the tire or drag the truck down. We caught it in time (barely) but it was close to a full on fire.
I replaced all four springs. Maybe do springs and tires after 5 years?
Just in case you in danger of getting a good nights sleep.
- John
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:44 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I replaced all my 3.5K springs with 4K springs. Three of the original 3.5K springs cracked and failed. No problems since installing the 4K springs on my '13 Excel Winslow 34IKE. First two failed at 10K miles. The third at 40K miles. Closing in on 70K miles in 5 years.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:47 PM   #5
JDT

Springs? Oh my, something else. I remember Russell having problems but not any others, other than JohnnyD now. Wonder why that is.

I'm still thinking about the MorRyde IS which would eliminate the spring issue but maybe create some others. I have also looked at the Dexter Torflex system but don't see it as a very popular option like the MorRyde.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:25 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
I feel cheated.....3 Excels with 7K spring and no spring failure....YET.....tomorrow may just be the day. In looking at the 7K set up.....I can see the weakness. If mine failed I would clearly go to the 8K. But I still feel cheated......Ha!

I'm just wonderin' if the boondockin' and outback wilderness that some folks do......may have something to do with it?
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 06-24-2017, 09:31 PM   #7

I'd worry about the spring shackle bushings, if bronze, grease every 3k or so. If plastic, well, they were shot a long time ago. Check 'em, they will cause sudden tire wear.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:42 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
I replaced the bronze bushings with Never Fail bushings.
Lippert 279685 Never Fail Suspension Bushing 14 pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F3SEUWI..._eeZtzbEMG89PR

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Bill, As far as I know, Excel has never-ever used those cheap-ass plastic bushings. But many folks don't grease the wet bolt bronze bushings as often as they should. I'm a grease every major trip which is more than the 3K recommended by Dexter. Just sayin'....never had a failure or worn bushing.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:54 PM   #10

Sounds like you guys are all over your running gear, good for you! Glad you have the disc brakes too, I changed over to discs on my former 5ver after losing all brakes on two mtn passes in one trip. Discs solved that problem!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:31 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Bill, I would not pull a 5er without disk brakes outside of the park. There's a reason auto manufacturers went to disc brakes in regular production in 1972. That's a long time ago......I was in college for gosh sakes. Disk brakes are the only way to go.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:51 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When we bought our 07 30RSO in 2014 I found all four Never-Lube bearings totally shot. I upgraded the running gear from a 6K system to 7K with disk brakes and standard bearings. I carry a spare set of bearings, races, etc and all tools to replace a bearing in a wide spot if ever needed.

I lube my wet bolts every 3K miles and the wheel bearings are pulled and serviced every year or 12K miles.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:15 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Fred, Could you give more detail about all 4 Nev R Lube bearings being "totally shot". IE too much end play, noisy, overheating, rough feeling, etc? Thanks.
Old 06-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sure Tom, first hint was when we got to the campsite on our first trip out. Smelled hot grease and found a hot wheel hub. At home pulled the hub off the axle. The flat washers were bowl shaped and I could wobble the bearing with a finger in the center hole. Let's say very loosely goosey. I pulled the other three and found very similar issues. These 49mm bearing were very expensive, like $150 each plus paying to press them out and new ones into the hubs. And still would have old style brakes and 6K axles.

I found that the bearings on my 5th were a strange size, 49 mm outer diameter. I called Lippert, their name was on the axles, another label saying Dexter Never Lube bearing was also on the axles, go figure. After several calls to Excel, Lippert and Dexter and lots of Internet searching, I found this bearing part number is used on cars, such as Volvo, VW and others on the rear axles. This did not give me any warm feelings, that the bearings were designed for a car weighing 3 to 4K and were on a tandem axle 5th weighing in about 14K. That's when I decided to make the upgrade to 7K axles and disc brakes. Put the 5th up on stands in driveway went to it. Replaced everything below the frame except wheels and tires. Another scary finding was about half of the bushing bolts were very lose and most of the nuts on the u-bolts were only finger tight. According to service papers included with the trailer when I bought it the springs had just been replaced by a "RV service center" As part of my service routine I check the torque on all suspension components. So far all holding as expected.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote