RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:30 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Other than increased cost any reason not to use AGM's?

Not that I can think of - there are some advantages, AGM's typically take up less space than comparable lead acid batteries and can be mounted on their side or pretty much any other position, so you could probably gain some room in the battery compartment.

steeltom75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2019, 12:40 PM   #16
JDT

I found a local golf cart place has Trojan T-105 batteries for $130 each. Seems like a good price for what probably is a little better battery so think I will get them. The AGM's would be nice but can't find anyplace around here who carries them.

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #17

My T-105 AGMs are the same size as the GC2 other than about an inch shorter and weigh about the same

So far the have proven to hold charge better and no hydrogen gas to form HCl which is a nice plus
Old 04-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
I found a local golf cart place has Trojan T-105 batteries for $130 each. Seems like a good price for what probably is a little better battery so think I will get them. The AGM's would be nice but can't find anyplace around here who carries them.
Did the same thing last month. Had 4 Trojan T-105's installed when I bought the trailer in 2012 and decided to replace them with the same make, model.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:43 PM   #19
JDT

Carl, did you have any problems with keeping them clean?
Old 04-16-2019, 10:00 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Carl, did you have any problems with keeping them clean?
Not any more than any other wet cell battery in the other vehicles I have owned. I changed out the batteries myself and the battery box was in good shape. I regularly check and service the batteries. Two things that some people do that can cause batteries to leak through the cap is to 1) overfill the battery; 2) add water prior to charging the battery. The battery needs head space when charging because the electrolyte will rise a little while charging. Add just enough distilled water to cover the plates.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:26 AM   #21
JDT

I've been thinking about getting one of the watering systems. Supposedly it keeps you from overfilling.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:21 PM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
I've been thinking about getting one of the watering systems. Supposedly it keeps you from overfilling.
I think in my unit it would be more trouble than what it's worth. Below is a note about adding water to a battery that I found on a battery company's website. Also use only distilled water.

WATERING YOUR LEAD ACID BATTERY: THE BASICS
Posted by Crown Battery on Jul 14, 2017 9:02:55 AM

Nothing feels better on a hot day than a nice cool drink of water. It’s refreshing and rejuvenating and helps your body perform. That refreshing drink of water is just as important to your lead acid battery. The fluid levels in your batteries are extremely important and keeping them at a safe level may require watering your battery regularly. Over-watering and under-watering can both damage your battery. To keep your lead battery running at peak levels, follow these watering guidelines.

FIRST – START WITH SAFETY
To get started, make sure to wear personal protection equipment such as protective eye-wear and gloves when working on batteries. Also, it is very important to understand that some batteries require regular watering service – while other batteries deliver maintenance-free operation. Make sure to look for information on the battery labeling that indicate whether the battery can be opened and serviced. Depending upon the battery type you are using, the warning labels on your battery should direct you to “DO NOT OPEN” the battery, or “KEEP VENT CAPS TIGHT FOLLOWING WATERING SERVICE.” Make sure to follow the warning label instructions.

WHEN TO ADD WATER
Conventional batteries contain a liquid “electrolyte” which is a mixture of sulfuric acid and water. The plates in a lead battery contain an active material that should be continuously bathed in electrolytes while oxygen and hydrogen gas are released during charging.

While a battery should only be filled after it is completely charged, you should check the water level before charging. Before charging, make sure there is just enough water to cover any exposed plates. After charging, add enough water to bring the level to the bottom of the vent, about ¾ below the top of the cell.

It’s important to note that battery owners should never add sulfuric acid to their battery. During normal operation batteries will only consume water – and not sulfuric acid. When your battery’s electrolyte is observed to be low, filling the battery with water will keep the battery healthy and safe for use.

DON’T OVER WATER
While a battery is charging, the density of the electrolyte solution will increase. If too much water was added before charging, the electrolyte levels will expand and cause the battery to overflow and damage the battery. Additionally, excessive watering of a battery can result in additional dilution of the electrolyte, resulting in reduced battery performance.

FREQUENCY
How often you add water to your battery will depend on how often you use it. A golf cart battery that is only used on the weekends may only require once a month watering. A forklift used all day, every day, may need to have its battery watered every week. When the weather is hot, this will increase the need for watering. It’s important to check your battery’s fluid level regularly – and the best practice is to do so after the battery is finished charging.

AVOID TAP WATER
When filling your battery, regular tap water isn’t going to cut it. Tap water contains minerals that are harmful to batteries, even if added in small amounts. This is particularly true for water softened by water softeners which contain chlorides. To be safe, distilled water is your best bet and is a much smaller investment than a new battery.

Remember, that water will sit on top of the acid solution in your battery until it is mixed by the bubbling produced by charging. If you are taking hydrometer readings of the electrolyte, it’s best to take them after charging is complete.

Don’t let your battery get dehydrated. Keep it watered during hot months and all year long.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:28 PM   #23
JDT

I've always used distilled water but to be honest I probably overfill. That's why I considered the watering system. Trojan makes one but I think it is a little pricey. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Tags
batteries