Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:30 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Bedrail Clearance?

Hi everyone,

I just orderd a new Winslow 28 and would like some infomation. Does anyone have a suggestion for the bedrail clearance between the pickup truck and the bottom of the trailer? I checked on a demo unit at the dealer and had about 5 inches of clearance when it was hooked up to my truck (2008 Ford F350 4x4). I have heard it is best to have at least 6 inches clearance. Would this be a problem going into a "dip" entering a driveway? Thanks for any advice.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2009, 10:35 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
If you are wanting more clearance the king pin box has three settings or your hitch should have adjustments too. I see this was your first post welcome aboard to the Excel forum!!

Old 10-29-2009, 11:08 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDunlap View Post
Hi everyone,

I just orderd a new Winslow 28 and would like some infomation. Does anyone have a suggestion for the bedrail clearance between the pickup truck and the bottom of the trailer? I checked on a demo unit at the dealer and had about 5 inches of clearance when it was hooked up to my truck (2008 Ford F350 4x4). I have heard it is best to have at least 6 inches clearance. Would this be a problem going into a "dip" entering a driveway? Thanks for any advice.
Welcome to the forum BDunlap!

Your thinking of having 6 inches or more is correct. Some folks believe it should be more that. Mine is just a little more than 5" and I do have to watch it when coming into a driveway or the like with a dip. Remember Excels are considered a low profile coach. They sit lower than most. On my Excel, I had the spring mounting bolts put in the lowest holes on the plates that mounts to the frame. This puts the coach as high as possible. Then I adjusted the pinbox to have the front of the rig just slightly higher than level (1/2 bubble) or "nose high". This is the best set up I could do, without going to major expense on suspension mods. Of course, different trucks are at diffferent heights. Don't let some folks try to talk you into "flipping or swapping the axles on the springs" in attempt to raise the coach. Excels suspension set up are not designed to do that.

You said you had your rig on order. Make sure the dealer has ordered with the suspension set to the "lowest hole" making the coach setting as high as possible. They will do it - no problem. It seems the newer truck's keep getting higher and higher in the rear each year. I hope something here helps. rockintom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
BDunlap..Congrats on your soon to be built Excel!! I would like to also welcome you to iRV2 and the Excel Forum! This is a great place to gather information and share some chuckles along the way also.
We hope you visit & post often!
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:44 AM   #5

A hearty "WELCOME" from me, too, BDunlap!!

We've got 6 inches of clearance with the rig, below, and I use 5 of them getting in and out of our driveway. We're more nose (front) high than Rockin' and we're at the bottom hole for the axles as he has recommended, but I'd still like to raise the trailer some more. Our Reese Signature series hitch is at it's bottom setting and we have the hitch pin in the middle set of holes. We still do a significant number of one-night stop overs and unless we're pointed down-hill in the campsite, I have to unhitch to level for the night at each stop and it's getting a little old. We're currrently working with the local TrailAir dealer in Thornburg, VA to see what our options are as I'd like the trailer to have a smoother ride along the PA turnpike, too. Others on the forum have MorRyde IS and they told me that MorRyde can make that height adjustment. In other threads, Bryan had noted that the springs articulate well, and I can vouch for that each time we go in or out of our driveway (ours did not come with the MorRyde IS option). I doubt you'd have to go to that extreme as it seems only those of us with F450 4x4s with the offroad package have this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Final check and add air to all tires.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1705  
Old 10-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Davey,

We are on the same page and understand the situation you are in because we have the Reese Sig hitch too on the same setting!

I've been told that PI can get us the plates that are extended in length and have 4 holes instead of 3 (longer plate that welds to the frame. Probably raise it maybe 2 inches so we can raise our hitch in the truck another notch and thus give us a little more bedrail clearance. Hope that makes sense. So far I can live with what I have, just gotta be careful. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 10-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davydee View Post
We still do a significant number of one-night stop overs and unless we're pointed down-hill in the campsite, I have to unhitch to level for the night at each stop and it's getting a little old. .

Davy, you can leave the truck hooked up and still level. 2 to 3 inches is what your truck probably settled with the trailer weight, and if you went another 5 inches I think your truck tires would still be on the ground. It seems to me most CGs have a level pull through for the over niters. Or should I say decent ones!!!
Old 10-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for the replies to my question on bedrail clearance. I will definitey check on getting the bolts in the springs so the trailer sits in the highest position. When I hooked up to the Winslow 28 demo unit, the trailer was slightly nose high - I would prefer a level ride. I hope this adjustment can be done when they start making the trailer in Smith Center. Does anyone have more info on getting the "4 hole option" on the springs. If this is possible, I will have the dealer contach Bryan. My truck has both the off-road 4x4 and trailer towing packages.

Again, thanks to everyone and I look forward to being an active member of the forum.

Bill Dunlap
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Excel Winslow 28
Old 10-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Bet Bryan will read this and respond. But check with your dealer for sure. BTW, who is the dealer out in there in CA? rockin
Old 10-31-2009, 05:27 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
I am purchasing my Winslow Excel from RV Sales in Moriarty, NM. Kathy and Ralph, the owners are absolutely great. I am working with them on setting up the trailer. I have ordered the optional disk brake package. Bryan told me the rims are larger (17.5 inches - I think???) with Michelin J rated tires. Does anyone know if you get the above package will trailer be a little higher? When hooked up to the 28 Winslow as a test in Moriarty I was just a very little nose high.

Thanks again to everyone for all the info and suggestions.

Bill Dunlap
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Old 10-31-2009, 05:40 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Hey B,

You made a GREAT decision to get the disk brakes and they come with the tires and rims you listed..... but unfortunately for you the highth of the tire are exactly the same as the standard rims and tire set up....I hate to be the barer of bad news. I looked into it when the 17.5 rims and tires came out. As I mentioned before, like me you'll probably be close with the suspension set on the lowest hole. Also, you are also correct on Kathy and Ralph, they are fine folks. Donna and I are going to see them on Tuesday....just to look.... rockin'
Old 10-31-2009, 08:24 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
SKIA is right on the height of the tires. The 17.5's will only give you more carry weight and not have to worry about the tires being overloaded.

Tom, whats the matter can't stand it that some of us put a stop to your badgering about having older fifth wheels. If you do get a new rig, you know that you will also need to rid of that Little Girlie Truck and GM is not in the truck business anymore. You'll have to buy an old GMC/White to get you a discount from GMC.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:58 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
You know Still.......you are so smart.....I just don't know what I can say.....
Old 11-01-2009, 09:30 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Optional 4 hole spring plates???

Again, thanks to everyone for all the help info. Does anyone know if I can order spring mounting plates with 4 holes instead of 3? My 2008 Ford F350 4x4 has the off road package and sits high thus my concern about bedrail clearance and towing in a level position. If I could get 4 hole plates and have the springs in the lowest position, I think this would raise the trailer a little.

Thanks in advance for any help on this possible option.

Bill Dunlap
Mammoth Lakes, CA