Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:13 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Bedroom slide not closing all the way

Ok the rig is 15 months old and the bedroom slde hase never closed all the way. It has not leaked but the bottom is out 3/4" and not flush with the body. The top is out about 1/2". Its been to the dealer 2 times for adjustments but no real improvement was seen. Dealer said as long as it's not leaking not to worry about it and to "run it in hard", I seems to slam against whatever stop there is and the motor clutches. Can't run it in much harder then that. It looks aweful and the dealer seems to be out of ideas. It is electric chaim driven and the chain has and adjustment nut on the last link that looks impossible to get a wrench on. Today after having the slide out and then closing the gap is now bigger and the seal is not touching the slide flange. If anyone has experienced this I would love to hear from you. I'm a bit worried about fallplowinf rain and winter blowing snow now and the dealer is 4.5 hours away. Maybe the stop was put in the wrong spot? Maybe the motor is clutching to soon before fully closed?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #2

Call the factory and complain, have your info on dates of service handy. A stop out of place should have been caught during factory testing at time of assembly. Be ready to e mail pictures. Sounds like the dealer or his techs aren't worth a ....!

Old 10-09-2011, 01:45 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Please excuse the typos,,,was getting late..
Old 10-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Chief,
I'm not much help on this, but have had the bedroom slide mechamism cover off on my old 05 FLR. The system has seen several changes since then. I do know that on all 3 Excels we've owned I noticed the top of the slide does come in just a bit more than the bottom. Currently on our new one the top is in slightly and the bottom is about flush.

Yours should come in all the way.....what's exactly wrong I don't know. You weren't one of the guys that added a new bed platform so accomidate a new mattress? If so you may have made it too long..... a call to PI may be in order. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is this a hydraulic, Rack and Pinion Electric screw, or a cable car?

Cable cars have a very simple adjustment, normally in teh header over the slide.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Rockin, Yes I tossed the box spring, built a platform and used the original matress with a 4" memory foam. Made the paltforn 2" shorter then the old bix spring and the mattress is the orignal. However, it never closed proberly with the old set up either. So for the fun of it I pulled the factory matress off the platform today adjusted the chain about 4 turns on the nut and closed her up..WALA, closes much better..So the orignal mattress that is accually about 4" longer then the orginal box spring set up is interferring with full closure. I wonder if it was manufactured a bit long?
Old 10-09-2011, 06:11 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Rockin, Yes I tossed the box spring, built a platform and used the original matress with a 4" memory foam. Made the paltforn 2" shorter then the old bix spring and the mattress is the orignal. However, it never closed proberly with the old set up either. So for the fun of it I pulled the factory matress off the platform today adjusted the chain about 4 turns on the nut and closed her up..WALA, closes much better..So the orignal mattress that is accually about 4" longer then the orginal box spring set up is interferring with full closure. I wonder if it was manufactured a bit long?
Our mattress is about 4" longer than the platform too. Normal. The mattress curls up a bit on the end when the slide is fully closed. I wonder if the mattress with the foam is not as pliable/flexible and causing the interference. Just my thoughts. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 10-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #8

On my 2001 Excel Limited, I haven't had a problem with the bedroom slide. It will pull in at the top first and then seat on the bottom. When it is seating, the top will remain fixed and the bottom, of the 'slideout box' will rotate up slightly. The bed platform remains stationary.

My mattress is also about 3-4 inches longer than the platform that it sets on. When it is retraced, it will just clear or push against the bottom of the vanity...but not the bottom cabinet.

Here are two photos of my bedroom slide adjustment bolt....don't know if it relates to yours....

Front view:

Rear view:

After looking at the operation of the slide in different positions, adjustment of these nuts is the only way I can see how it can be made.

workhorse
Old 10-12-2011, 05:33 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the pics. That is how mine is set up. I adjusted the nut as far as I was comfortable. The issue is the mattress. When it comes up against the vanity doors the motor clutches and stops closing before the bottom of the slide is fully seated. I got it closer with the adjustment i made. I wonder if the drive motoe clutch is a bit sensitive?
Old 10-12-2011, 05:41 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Chief,

Based on your previous comments......don't you think the platform may be too long and not the original mattress. My mattress over hangs the boxsprings about 4" (when mattress is laid flat). On all three of Excels.....the mattress crushes an estimated 3" against the vanity when the slide is completely in. rockin'
Old 10-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
The platform is 3" from the vanity when closed. The matress is the original and sits fully against the head board. Plus I had this problem since the rig was new with all the original mattress and box spring.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Someone ain't be tellin' the truth!!! Or sumthing!!!! :-)
Old 10-13-2011, 08:10 AM   #13

Here are several photos of my platform/mattress and with a 1 1/2" foam topper. The mattress when closed just fits below the vanity and the mattress just touches the doors. The foam topper does add height but doesn't seem to create a problem.

As stated earlier, the adjustment nuts are the only thing that I can see to make the necessary adjustments.

You mentioned....."Maybe the stop was put in the wrong spot?" I didn't find a stop in my system and think it 'cluches' when enought resistance is felt on the system.

You mentioned....."Yes I tossed the box spring, built a platform and used the original matress with a 4" memory foam. Made the paltforn 2" shorter then the old bix spring and the mattress is the orignal. However, it never closed proberly with the old set up either. So for the fun of it I pulled the factory matress off the platform today adjusted the chain about 4 turns on the nut and closed her up..WALA, closes much better..So the orignal mattress that is accually about 4" longer then the orginal box spring set up is interferring with full closure." To find a new starting point, and not having been there, I would remove the mattress and foam topper and close the slide to elimanite them as the cause. If it closes properly, then install them one at a time until the problem occurs. If it still doesn't close correctly, with everything removed....then for sure it's the slide system either not aligned correcly or 'hanging up' or catching on something before closing properly.

Don't think this is of major concern...but might check the position of the outside 'sweeps' (gaskets) when the slide is in different positions while closing. Your sweeps are possibly different than mine, as I have a 2001, and they do better at that age being lubed at times.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:32 AM   #14

Are you sure the picture you have is the slide stop? It looks like it is the chain slacker(Adjuster)

Tags
slide