RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8
Bent spring mounting bracket

I looked at a 2001? Excel 35 SEO ( side entertainment, open bath model) and notice the the 2 tires on the entery door side were almost touching.
I crawled underneath and noticed the front most spring mounting point was bend rearward. One the left side, the good side, the spring mount point braket is attached a true 90 degree position.

Is it possible this damage was caused by jacking up the RV by this mounting point, possible during a tire change? I am thinking if this damage was done by a curb strike, I suspect the gas line would also be damaged, assuming the something could contact this point without damaging the tire and wheel.

I have a fabricator looking at this to see about the best way to repair.
Some of the exterior access covers are also swelled and do not close properly. Some of the slide seals have damage or just fallen off.

I added links to the pictures, since it appears they are not posted, I did attemptto resize the pictures.

This is the bent front spring mounting point of the enteryway side ( right side)


https://picasaweb.google.com/1158745...34317010165826


Tires almost touching:



https://picasaweb.google.com/1158745...39006010151282

Picture of the left side front spring mounting point, perfect 90 degree angle



https://picasaweb.google.com/1158745...34330049882898

Outside access cover damage:



https://picasaweb.google.com/1158745...39028769568994
__________________

NeoBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Excel Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 240
If you want to know how to repair compartment doors go to Restoration 101,page 1 , Workshop has a detailed guide for this. I redid mine using most of his info, not to difficult.
__________________

Hermandutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermandutchman View Post
If you want to know how to repair compartment doors go to Restoration 101,page 1 , Workshop has a detailed guide for this. I redid mine using most of his info, not to difficult.
Thank you, I did read most of that thread prior to inspecting this unit. Very well written "how to" write up!!
NeoBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,232


jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,232
Pretty weird. The rear looks normal, but the front definitely had to have been replaced.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:14 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Pretty weird. The rear looks normal, but the front definitely had to have been replaced.
Thank you for adding the pictures.
NeoBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Workshop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,334
I assume you are considering the purchase of this unit?

Without 'eyes on the ground' to inspect the surrounding area...it would be hard to say how the hanger got bent. If someone tried to lift the unit using the spring hanger, considering the slope of the spring and getting a jack to stay upright during the initial contact....one might try placing something between the jack and hanger? But regardless the hanger and base are bent. The rusted area around the hanger attachment could have been made by welding at the area or I would guess the damage/crunch of the hanger support.

If it was damaged by a curb hit, the step box forward of the wheels should show damage as well.




I'm surprised to see the hangers didn't have the height adjustment holes...my 2001 did and wasn't aware Excel didn't install those hangers on all their models.

If you purchase this unit, might consider upgrading the suspension with a new equalizer and wet bolts as well as having an axle alignment done.


workhorse
__________________
2000 Alpenlite, 29 ft Valhalla - 2014 F350
Workshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Workshop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,334
Glad you found the posts on the compartment door repair. It was a common issue in the early years.




I don't think I've ever seen an entry door retainer that rusted. Overall what condition is the unit in.....?

If this was a unit I was considering, I would look it over very closely for water damage.

workhorse
__________________
2000 Alpenlite, 29 ft Valhalla - 2014 F350
Workshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
wa8yxm's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 24,022
I doubt jacking damaged the bracket, Either impact with something (like I did with one of my kilo-buck to replace jacks) or rust did it in.

A frame shop can fix it in any case. Visit one.
__________________
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
rockintom's Avatar
 
Excel Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fulltime TX Escapee
Posts: 8,703
Neo,

Just looking at the pix you posted, I'd say run like a daylight burglar from this deal. This rig clearly has not had a good home. Just my opinion. rockin'
__________________
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8
Thank you all for the replies.
The RV and the truck included is 250 miles from my home.
The camper may need more work then i know how to fix, and I might be looking more at the F350 tow vehicle and clouding my judgement of value and ability of the RV.

I brought in a friend who is also an RV owner. We did not detect any water damage inside the RV. No discolored spots on the ceiling, bowed walls or soft spots on the floors near the walls.
As for damage near the spring mounting point, the gas line was not bent ( although could have been fixed / replaced at some point) and the under boxes and fabric underneath was still intact.

Even the bottoms of the storage areas were solid dispite the exterior doors that were water damaged.

One other point, there were signs of critters getting inside the cabinets. The area where the paper plates and napkins were stored looked like a hamster den with the chewed up paper. In two of the ceiling vents, there were pieces of pink insulation, not sure how intact the ceiling duct work would be. Unless the critters also entered into the "basement ducts" and ran though out the RV.
I was not able to connect a water supply to the camper since it had been winterized. I did confirm there was at least some antifreeze in the tanks because I opened the fresh water and the grey water drain taps and red / pink water came out.

I found out that the slider seals on the RV walls just push in place, like the weather stripping inside a car door opening. Other then the price per foot, and the sealant, cleaners needed, should not be too difficult to replace.

I seen some 2001 Excel 5th wheels selling for as low as $13,000 and as high as $28,000. Those may not be exact model for model and options, but same length.

Also as part of this camper package, is a highly optioned, low mile 2003 Ford F350 extended cab,dual rear wheel, long bed, 7.3 diesel that was used to tow the camper. So, even though the camper may need some work, the over all package price is worth as much as just the truck.
The RV and the truck included is 250 miles from home.

The camper will cost $5,000. The camper will get new tires, and the truck tires are 10 years old. So, I will end up buying 12 tires, 6 for the truck, and 4 for the RV including spares for the trailer and the truck, before I even move the camper. Figure $200 for each tire, that is $2400.

Plus, the exterior just needs a good cleaning / polish waxing.
NeoBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Workshop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,334
Here are several addition photos of the unit. The initial photos of the suspension makes one want to run....but the inside, from the photos, looks better than what I would have thought.














workhorse
__________________
2000 Alpenlite, 29 ft Valhalla - 2014 F350
Workshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 8
I value the opinions of the knowledge from this forum.
Workshop, thank you for information in your private message.
I would like to refreshen this unit up and enjoy it.
NeoBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:21 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoBuckeye View Post
Thank you all for the replies.
The RV and the truck included is 250 miles from my home.
The camper may need more work then i know how to fix, and I might be looking more at the F350 tow vehicle and clouding my judgement of value and ability of the RV.

I brought in a friend who is also an RV owner. We did not detect any water damage inside the RV. No discolored spots on the ceiling, bowed walls or soft spots on the floors near the walls.
As for damage near the spring mounting point, the gas line was not bent ( although could have been fixed / replaced at some point) and the under boxes and fabric underneath was still intact.

Even the bottoms of the storage areas were solid dispite the exterior doors that were water damaged.

One other point, there were signs of critters getting inside the cabinets. The area where the paper plates and napkins were stored looked like a hamster den with the chewed up paper. In two of the ceiling vents, there were pieces of pink insulation, not sure how intact the ceiling duct work would be. Unless the critters also entered into the "basement ducts" and ran though out the RV.
I was not able to connect a water supply to the camper since it had been winterized. I did confirm there was at least some antifreeze in the tanks because I opened the fresh water and the grey water drain taps and red / pink water came out.

I found out that the slider seals on the RV walls just push in place, like the weather stripping inside a car door opening. Other then the price per foot, and the sealant, cleaners needed, should not be too difficult to replace.

I seen some 2001 Excel 5th wheels selling for as low as $13,000 and as high as $28,000. Those may not be exact model for model and options, but same length.

Also as part of this camper package, is a highly optioned, low mile 2003 Ford F350 extended cab,dual rear wheel, long bed, 7.3 diesel that was used to tow the camper. So, even though the camper may need some work, the over all package price is worth as much as just the truck.
The RV and the truck included is 250 miles from home.

The camper will cost $5,000. The camper will get new tires, and the truck tires are 10 years old. So, I will end up buying 12 tires, 6 for the truck, and 4 for the RV including spares for the trailer and the truck, before I even move the camper. Figure $200 for each tire, that is $2400.

Plus, the exterior just needs a good cleaning / polish waxing.
Are you sure the truck is a 7.3? I thought they stopped using it in 2002 model year.
__________________

__________________
2010 36GKM 2010 350DRW Crew Cab Fulltime sense 01 Army Retired
ARRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.