Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Best Excel 5th Wheel Tires

Can I ask what is th ebest tire for our heavy Excel 5th wheel?

There are a million discussions of this mired in debates about Chinese vs US, or, whether to keep tires 5 or 6 years, or delaminitating because of little use,... etc., etc., I do not need any more of that...

If possible, please limit your answer with the name of the tire that you like best.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Michelin RIBS

I chose to go with RIBS. Expensive truck tire but very popular for fivers.

Lots of LT Tires work well on towables but I was told to stay away from offroad and mud & snow tires. Many towables now come with LT's as standard equipment.

I have Bridgestones on my truck and have had great luck with them.
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #3

Michelpn XPS Rib would be first choice if money is no object. Second choice is BF Goodrich Commercial TA. Which is what I put on this spring. Of course there is always the option of 17.5 inch tire and wheel packages that will net you around 4500 pound load carrying capacity per tire.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
We have had very good luck with our 16" Goodyear G614 RST LT235/85R16G.

When we upgrade to Disc Brakds we install Michelin XTA LT215/75R17.5. They have been virtually bulletproof. With the exception of one gentleman who claimed we installed a recap on his unit.......

The Michelin XTA is a "J" rated and is rated at 4808# per tire!

Bryan
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcelRVGuy View Post
We have had very good luck with our 16" Goodyear G614 RST LT235/85R16G.

When we upgrade to Disc Brakds we install Michelin XTA LT215/75R17.5. They have been virtually bulletproof. With the exception of one gentleman who claimed we installed a recap on his unit.......

The Michelin XTA is a "J" rated and is rated at 4808# per tire!

Bryan
X2 Maximum air pressure is 120 psi.......we played with it and now run 112 psi give a much smoother ride and still way over capacity. They also run cool as a cucumber. They have my confidence. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
After several tread separation failures with the 3750 lb-rated Goodyear G614 RSTs, we upgraded to the 17.5" Michelin XTAs rated 4805 lbs in 2010. No tire problems whatsoever, they run extremely cool and the peace of mind on a hot day on the Interstate is worth the price of admission.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
JDT

I was looking for the load inflation chart on the Michelin XTA on their website. I may be reading it wrong but I noticed on the specifications for this tire that the maximum speed is 62 mph. That doesn't seem right but that is what it says.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB Phil View Post
Can I ask what is th ebest tire for our heavy Excel 5th wheel?

There are a million discussions of this mired in debates about Chinese vs US, or, whether to keep tires 5 or 6 years, or delaminitating because of little use,... etc., etc., I do not need any more of that...

If possible, please limit your answer with the name of the tire that you like best.
First choice is American unless you upgrade to the 17.5's. I don't think you 30ft rig's weight can justify the cost of upgrading to the 17.5's. I got along fine with 16's on my 30 RGE. It had It had Goodyear LT's on it. Once thay got 6 years old I had problems. After the second one blew. I put on a new set of shoes.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:03 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for aly your these quick replies. I went with Michelin LXT M/S2 LT 235/85R16E1. I have been running these on my tow vehicles for many years with excellent reliability.

The origial Good year Wranglers still had plenty of tread, but I've previously had good looking tires separate on me after about 5 years.

Feels good to have the Michelins on there. Ready to Roll!

Tags
excel, tires