Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Max1:
Does the grey flow into the black if it gets to full? I dont think it does on ours and would like to have a way to divert the grey water into the black tank as gray always fills much faster than black when dry camping. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is something I also would like to see, it gives you almost 75% more room.

Bryan,

Is there a way to do this or is there some regs against x-connecting the tanks
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
[quote]1.Why would one flush with black valve closed when it warns against it? Please enlighten me./quote]
Max1,
For the second time, I have no warning sticker saying that the black tank must be open.
Seemed logical to me to use the flushing mechanism to refill the black after draining it and flushing it with the valve open for while. I fill it full to get the big SWOOSH to make sure it is clean. Today, I walked away while it was filling.

2)"Are you sure your flusher is plummed into the black and not the gray by mistake?"

Pretty sure, it has worked before when I was watching the tank gauge inside. The only thing I did differently today was walk away and get busy with another project.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Virg,
Think your new hangle should be "makin'stink". You've earned this one!

Max1,
I know that in the manual it says keep the black gate open when flushing. I do close and let fill about 3/4 full (I time it to get approximately that amount) and then open the valve to drain to get a good rush of flow, etc.

I believe that PI says to keep the valve open to prevent issues like our very intelligent friend experienced! Also probably to prevent busted/split of the black tank too. Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Virg,

Sorry about your mishap. My unit has a label that is by the water connection for the tank flush. It reads "Sewer Flusher the black tank valve must be open when water is connected".

Paul

04 Excel 33RSE
clspds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:52 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
I have read thru your post Virg, and this is a good one for the books. Anytime someone has had water/black tank materials from leaving the flushing system has come out in either the stool or the roof, and the final place as been that the tank has cracked or split allowing the mess to go thru the bottom of the coach.
In a matter of opinion, I think that maybe they have placed the flush onto the gray tank, as well as your black tank with a Y in the water line system. It is possible in production that they put the inlet onto the gray tank, then relized their mistake and put on the black tank and then plumbed the water line with a Y, so that both tanks are getting water. And is it possible when you have flush before that your gray valve was open, so that water was continuing to run out, while the black was filling and showing on your monitor panel. (Just a question running thru my mind, not accusing). And this time you have opened the black tank and closed the gray tank.

I have not seen Excel do this, but nothing says that it couldn't have happened. The only way to tell is to get into the underbelly and look on the side of the tanks and see if you have a flush intank and line on each tank. This would explain what may have happened.

One thing that will tell you if the tanks are missed marked is by how much handle comes out when you pull the valve. Black at least 3" and the gray about 1 1/2-2".

A suggestion to all that like to have plenty of water in the tank to allow it flush out with volume is to do it the old fashion way. Take the hose into the camper and fill it from the throat of the stool. This way you are not putting pressure into the tank. Then open your valve and let it flush away.

In using the Sewer Flush System everyone should leave the valve open, and let the fluids run away. You would think that the vent on the top would relieve the pressure, but does not alway happen and it can explode your tank, or leave a bigger mess in the inside, or on the roof coming down the sides. (Seen it happen, not a pretty site)

Hope this helps with what has happen to you Virg, and good luck with your wife.

Now for the Joke makers, there are a ton of punch words in here, don't beat it up to bad.
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Tom for your response. Your explanation is the only explanation for Virg's dilemma, but seems very weird that PI would install a flusher in the grey tank and "Y" in flusher circuit. I'm glad you said it, as I was starting to doubt myself.

Don't worry, no jokes, the clowns (you know who you are!) here just about keep me "wore down"! We're letting you off easy this evening!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 04-23-2008, 02:04 PM   #21

Wrongway...
Thanks for your post you have answered many of my questions and confirmed other thoughts. This thread has taught me some important lessons and is just another example of why irv2 is tops on my list.

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 04:41 PM   #22

And now for my dumb trick. I was really going to flush my black water tank and filled it clear to the top. Had both drain valves closed and I filled-----and filled-----then thought I should check the gauge one more time and it still didn't read 100 per cent full, then I opened the value on the stool and blew [less than pure water] all over. Needless to say, she wasn't very happy. I don't know why the pressure didn't vent out the vent pipe.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:06 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Farmer,
I KNOW that everyone says not to close the black gate when using the flusher, but I've never had a problem (three years FT). Your right, the vent should allow for air to escape when adding water from the flusher, but when the tank gets near full and water starts to go up the vent, it would act as an orifice and thats when the tank and components become pressurize (the amount depends on the entry water volume)....that's when the problems begin! Also remember toilet paper and other stuff can plug the vent area when the tank is close to full. Ever have a bubble splash back when flushing the toilet when you trying to squeeze one more day on that dump....the vent is covered and not allowing air to escape thru the vent! Enough of my lecture for today. Class dismissed! Later, Tom
Old 04-24-2008, 01:36 AM   #24

And there I was, pumping away just like your picture. If I hadn't had my head over the hole when I opened the value I would of felt better. What a blessing, I wear glasses.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:44 AM   #25

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Farmer Jim:
And there I was, pumping away just like your picture. If I hadn't had my head over the hole when I opened the valve I would of felt better. What a blessing, I wear glasses. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That way you could "see" what you were doing!

Gotta laugh sometimes, to keep from crying!
Old 04-24-2008, 03:20 AM   #26

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MakinSmoke:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Careful Virg, I was trying hard not to mess with you at this poopy time in your life, but....you're testing me </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm not afraid of you Droooooooopy.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you ever think I where my britches that way so my Depends don't show! You should be ashamed to be so critical...you know how sensitive I am!
Old 04-24-2008, 05:54 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Aside from where Tom wears his britches? :-)), I don't understand why the water would not overflow into the 5th wheel?? The two cases I mentioned happened in a campground where we were staying, one to the CG host. He got preoccupied with a camper and forgot about his back flush was running. The water ran out the front door -- it was everywhere. Both were SOBs of 5th wheels, but the principal should be the same regardless of manufacturer.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:08 AM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Chief,
If your unit has a Thetford china john (auqa magic plus or the like) then it will have a rolling ball flush valve and will seal between the black tank and toilet bowl (up to a certain pressure). If the roof sewer vent is open...the water (and stuff) will go out the roof vent first. This is also assuming the floor to black tank pipe seal is also good.

On an old fashioned toilet with the flapper valve arrangement......you're S.O.L (pun intended) the stuff will fill the bowl and all over the floor. rockin' Check out the parts sheet below. If no.4, 5, and 10 were good this unit is SEALED.