RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:24 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
black dump valve and Camco toilet treatment

Several months back I posted a problem I was having with my black and gray valves feeling spongy and allowing stuff to bypass to the sewer cap, basically filling up the pipe from the cap to the valve, creating a mess of a gallon or so when dumping. I used mineral oil, which was suggested here, and it solved the problem, temporarily.
I use a product I get at WM called Camco RV Toilet Treatment in my black tank and wonder if this might be creating the problem. It does not say it lubricates the dump valves.
Does anyone have a product that is working and lubricating the valve seals?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
...Does anyone have a product that is working and lubricating the valve seals?
I've used Dawn Blue Ultra dishwashing liquid in my tanks for many years. Add about 8 oz after dumping the tank.

I have never had issues with my black or grey tank valves and the sensors on my previous trailer still worked after 10 years.

But, my tanks don't see the action that yours do.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I don't use any treatment in my tanks except for Rid-X occasionally to keep a good population of bacteria living in both tanks. Then during the very hot summer months I will use Happy Camper because both tanks get to cooking pretty good when the temp is 90F - 110F.

For valve lubrication, I stick to my dump regiment which keeps both valves well lubricated. The soapy water from the grey tank will lubricate both valves when closing them. BTW, we have always used Dawn Dish Soap for cleaning dishes besides the normal shampoos and body soaps we use daily.

My dump routine follows (I use a 5 inch clear extension to see what's happening) - open black tank flush valve, pull black tank valve - when empty pull gray tank valve - when gray tank is getting close to empty, turn off black tank back flush - when gray tank is done while it's trickling, close the black tank valve followed by closing the gray tank valve. Both valves close VERY easily because of the concentrated soapy water at the end of the gray tank dump.

If your valves are not working easily, then perhaps they were installed incorrectly with the seals not set properly or the bolts holding the valve to the pipes are too tight.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:59 AM   #4

My 15 year old Damon had same issue. I fought it for a little while with every suggestion here in the archives.

I purchased new knife valves thru Amazon. The replacement took less than an hour.

Nice and smooth now...no leaks.

Life is good.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Its time to replace the knife gate or seals. Do it before it fails in the closed posistion with a full tank. Then you have a real mess. It just happened to me. I have a very extensive post on here with pictures if you want to search.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote