Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2008, 05:00 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Are any of you Excel people bluegrass fans and are you going to the big festival in Lincoln, Ne Oct. 17-19, 2008.
Would like to meet up with you if you are going.
I know that 2 or maybe 3 units from Ne will be there.

Send me a PM if you want.

Jim
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2008, 05:00 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Are any of you Excel people bluegrass fans and are you going to the big festival in Lincoln, Ne Oct. 17-19, 2008.
Would like to meet up with you if you are going.
I know that 2 or maybe 3 units from Ne will be there.

Send me a PM if you want.

Jim
Old 10-06-2008, 05:05 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Jim,
Big bluegrass fan, listening to "Bluegrass Junction" on DirecTV as I browse the forum. Unfortunately, we'll not be attending the festival -- enjoy buddy and take some pictures to share with the forum.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:34 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Chief,

Sorry you can not make it.
Here is what you will miss:http://nebraskabluegrass.homestead.com/Home.html

maybe you can make it to North Platte next spring for this:http://countrybluegrassshow.homestead.com/index.html

We love bluegrass also and even volunteer our services at North Platte and some at Lincoln.
Also hope Still Working can make it to North Platte. Not very far for him and I think he is a fan

Will try and get some pictures.

Jim
Old 10-07-2008, 03:50 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are any of you Excel people bluegrass fans </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Red,
You probably could have guessed, I am a huge Bluegrass fan. Rhonda Vincent, Grascals, Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver are some of the groups we get to see down here in the Southeast. If anyone is interested, here is a bluegrass promoter with some pretty good shows in our part of the world. Of course, some are better than others........
http://www.aandabluegrass.com/FestivalListing.html
Old 10-07-2008, 06:35 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Red,

We will not be able to attend this year as we are at the HDT Rally this week and then go to Greensberg next weekend

For the big boys (not you SKA) we are having fun here at the rally. You can go over to the HDT forum for photos. I'll be post names and pictures later this week on my webshots
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:42 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Larry,
You know how sensitive SKA is about his toy truck -- he'll get his feelings hurt and not come around anymore.

I'll bet the HDT Rally has been alot of fun and informative -- some of our HDT brothers have some fancy darn rigs!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:46 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">he'll get his feelings hurt and not come around anymore </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Can y'all think of anything I could do to contribute?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
LGT = Little Girlie Truck
That should do it.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MakinSmoke:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Are any of you Excel people bluegrass fans </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Red,
You probably could have guessed, I am a huge Bluegrass fan. Rhonda Vincent, Grascals, Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver are some of the groups we get to see down here in the Southeast. If anyone is interested, here is a bluegrass promoter with some pretty good shows in our part of the world. Of course, some are better than others........
http://www.aandabluegrass.com/FestivalListing.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Virgil,

Thanks for replying. I was beginning to think that Chief John and I were the only ones who enjoyed great musicians and clear vocals that you could understand.

Jim
Old 10-07-2008, 11:05 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
My little girlie truck is so wussy, it won't even emit any of that luscious black smoke we all have learned that increases our already high level of testosterone!

P.S. I may have been in this very tree hugger country a bit too long!

P.S.S Thanks for "allowing" me into your very high level conversations! I thought I may be easily forgot about if I stayed away too long!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:49 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
[quote]My little girlie truck is so wussy,[quote]

Sir K.I.A.,
Your LGT---Bluegrass music??? R U again?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Virg,

Once again, go back and read and reread the posts again, and if you don't get it, consult your lovely bride....she gets it! We be ...but I'm simply following the leader...
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
FYI -- Thought this might be of interest to you boys.

Bluegrass Music: The Roots

The various types of music brought with the people who began migrating to America in the early 1600s are considered to be the roots of bluegrass music---including dance music and ballads from Ireland, Scotland and England, as well as African American gospel music and blues. (In fact, slaves from Africa brought the design idea for the banjo--an instrument now integral to the bluegrass sound.)

As the early Jamestown settlers began to spread out into the Carolinas, Tennessee, Kentucky and the Virginias, they composed new songs about day-to-day life experiences in the new land. Since most of these people lived in rural areas, the songs reflected life on the farm or in the hills and this type of music was called "mountain music" or "country music." The invention of the phonograph and the onset of the radio in the early 1900s brought this old-time music out of the rural Southern mountains to people all over the United States.

Good singing became a more important part of country music. Singing stars like Jimmie Rodgers, family bands like the Carter family from Virginia and duet teams like the Monroe Brothers from Kentucky contributed greatly to the advancement of traditional country music.

The Monroe Brothers were one of the most popular duet teams of the 1920s and into the 1930s. Charlie played the guitar, Bill played the mandolin and they sang duets in harmony. When the brothers split up as a team in 1938, both went on to form their own bands. Since Bill was a native of Kentucky, the Bluegrass State, he decided to call his band "Bill Monroe and the Blue Grass Boys," and this band sound birthed a new form of country music.

"Bill Monroe and the Blue Grass Boys" first appeared on the Grand Ole Opry in 1939 and soon became one of the most popular touring bands out of Nashville's WSM studios. Bill's new band was different from other traditional country music bands of the time because of its hard driving and powerful sound, utilizing traditional acoustic instruments and featuring highly distinctive vocal harmonies. This music incorporated songs and rhythms from string band, gospel (black and white), work songs and "shouts" of black laborers, country and blues music repertoires. Vocal selections included duet, trio and quartet harmony singing in addition to Bill's powerful "high lonesome" solo lead singing. After experimenting with various instrumental combinations, Bill settled on mandolin, banjo, fiddle, guitar and bass as the format for his band. The guitar originally came from Spain. The mandolin, as well as the fiddle and acoustic bass (both from the violin family), originally came from Italy.

While many fans of bluegrass music date the genre back to 1939, when Monroe formed his first Blue Grass Boys band, most believe that the classic bluegrass sound jelled in 1945, shortly after Earl Scruggs, a 21 year old banjo player from North Carolina, joined the band. Scruggs played an innovative three-finger picking style on the banjo that energized enthusiastic audiences, and has since come to be called simply, "Scruggs style" banjo. Equally influential in the classic 1945 line-up of the Blue Grass Boys were Lester Flatt, from Sparta, Tenn. on guitar and lead vocals against Monroe's tenor; Chubby Wise, from Florida, on fiddle; and Howard Watts, also known by his comedian name, "Cedric Rainwater," on acoustic bass.
When first Earl Scruggs, and then Lester Flatt left Monroe's band and eventually formed their own group, The Foggy Mountain Boys, they decided to include the resophonic guitar, or Dobro into their band format. The Dobro is often included in bluegrass band formats today as a result. Burkett H. "Uncle Josh" Graves, from Tellico Plains, Tenn., heard Scruggs' three-finger style of picking in 1949 and adapted it to the then, almost obscure slide bar instrument. With Flatt & Scruggs from 1955-1969, Graves introduced his widely emulated, driving, bluesy style on the Dobro. The Dobro was invented in the United States by the Dopyera Brothers, immigrant musicians/inventors originally from the Slovak Republic. The brand name, "Dobro," comes from DOpyera BROthers.

From 1948-1969, Flatt & Scruggs were a major force in introducing bluegrass music to America through national television, at major universities and coliseums, and at schoolhouse appearances in numerous towns. Scruggs wrote and recorded one of bluegrass music's most famous instrumentals, "Foggy Mountain Breakdown," which was used in the soundtrack for the film, Bonnie & Clyde. In 1969 he established an innovative solo career with his three sons as "The Earl Scruggs Revue." Scruggs still records and performs selected dates in groups that usually include his sons, Randy on guitar and Gary on bass.

After parting with Scruggs in 1969, Lester Flatt continued successfully with his own group, "The Nashville Grass," performing steadily until shortly before his death in 1979.

By the 1950s, people began referring to this style of music as "bluegrass music." Bluegrass bands began forming all over the country and Bill Monroe became the acknowledged "Father of Bluegrass Music.

In the 1960s, the concept of the "bluegrass festival" was first introuced, featuring bands that had seemed to be in competition with each other for a relatively limited audience on the same bill at weekend festivals across the country. Carlton Haney, from Reidsville, N.C., is credited with envisioning and producing the first weekend-long bluegrass music festival, held at Fincastle, Va. in 1965.

The increased availability of traditional music recordings, nationwide indoor and outdoor bluegrass festivals and movie, television and commercial soundtracks featuring bluegrass music have aided in bringing this music out of modern day obscurity. Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs & the Foggy Mountain Boys achieved national prominence with tour sponsorship by Martha White Flour and for playing the soundtrack for the previously mentioned film, Bonnie and Clyde, as well as on a television show called The Beverly Hillbillies. The Deliverance movie soundtrack also featured bluegrass music-in particular, "Dueling Banjos," performed by Eric Weissberg on banjo and Steve Mandel on guitar. In 2001, the triple platinum selling soundtrack for the Coen Brothers movie, O Brother, Where Art Thou? attracted wider audiences for bluegrass and traditional country music.

Bill Monroe passed away on September 9, 1996, four days before his 85th birthday. In May 1997, Bill Monroe was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame because of the profound influence of his music on the popular music of this country. He is also a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Bluegrass Music Hall of Honor.

Bluegrass music is now performed and enjoyed around the world. The IBMA alone claims members in all 50 states and 30 countries. In addition to the classic style born in 1945 that is still performed widely, bluegrass bands today reflect influences from a variety of sources including traditional and fusion jazz, contemporary country music, Celtic music, rock & roll ("newgrass" or progressive bluegrass), old--time music and Southern gospel music--in addition to lyrics translated to various languages.

For more information on the history of bluegrass music, visit:
International Bluegrass Music Museum
207 East Second Street
Owensboro, KY 42303
(270) 926-7891
888-MY-BANJO
Bluegrass Museum

For information on individual bluegrass artists, go to Bluegrass Bios at Bluegrass Artist Bios