Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Broken Basement Door Hinges

Alas, it appears that we have opened our basement and small utility doors far too much as the hinges are breaking. They don't use these lighter weight aluminum hinges anymore on the newer homes, but I'm sure there are still a few of you reading this who have a home on wheels (HOW) as old as ours (2005). if so, have you had this problem?

If your answer is no, then don't read any further and take a break from reading and have a glass of wine.

If your answer is yes, please let me know what you had to do to get it fixed. Vicky did find us some of the old type hinges that we hoped would work for us to DITY, but the width of the hinge sections is different. Our hinges are just breaking along one edge so we hoped to just replace the broken section on the wall. But (u know there's always a but....) since the hinge sections aren't the same width this is no longer an option.

Another option is to visit PI as we depart these beautiful Black Hills of SD and let them fix them. Not that we don't love seeing all of those great folks but it's a bit out of our way as we head south for the winter. Unfortunately duct tape isn't an option. So I guess I'll just try to make that wallet out of it like I've seen done.

So...in all of this babble what I'm asking is if you've had this problem with broken outside door hinges and what you had done to fix it.

Thanks a forehand .....Excel owners rock...and roll.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Didy,

Please let us know which style of doors you have. In 2005 you had early and late style (like they use today). They are completely different doors. The early doors actually stick out from the rig and the newer ones are flush mounted to the side walls. If you are unsure, post a pic. You may want to check out "workshop" post on doors and repair technics on his "101 posts which is in a sticky. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
DIY....Not

Well, Mr Rock and Roll-in Tom....the replacement of the hinges looks like a job....for Superman or PI, but probably not something that I/we can undertake. I'll take a closer look at how the hinges are mounted to the door, but I don't think we have the necessary tools available to us right now which will probably be needed to take apart the 2 doors in question, remove the old hinges and replace them. And getting a proper seal is most important.

So it looks like we have two options. (1) Make an appointment with PI to have them repaired on our way south in October, or (2) Buy a new house on wheels. I'm for option 1 since we worked with PI a while back to design a new home for us, and then found that the interest rate for full-timers is outrageous compared to the low homeowner rates. We've not given up planning for a new house, but it will be in a few years (or at least that's the plan for now).

Danke again for your help.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:18 PM   #4

Did various repairs or mods to the compartment doors but not to the hinges. 'Rockin' is correct that the doors on the eariler models were different. On my 2001, the doors are raised and on mid-models 200? and newer they were flush. The hinges on my 2001 appeared to be 'pressed on' , not sure about other models. I did have the hinges on the Utility door to have 'bout 20% of the links broken. Just lived with it and was careful when using.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
If my memory serves me right......the November 2004 production (2005 model) started using the new style doors. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by didymop View Post
Alas, it appears that we have opened our basement and small utility doors far too much as the hinges are breaking. They don't use these lighter weight aluminum hinges anymore on the newer homes, but I'm sure there are still a few of you reading this who have a home on wheels (HOW) as old as ours (2005). if so, have you had this problem?
Call Garry Neff at Hatchlift. He may be able to help you with cargo door hardware.

Garry Neff, President
Hatchlift, LLC
790 Garland St.
Lakewood, CO 80215
Office 303-233-6083

www.hatchlift.com
gneff@hatchlift.com
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:00 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Will do. Thanks. Maybe he'll have the smaller teeth hinges that we need and then we won't have to disassemble the doors.