Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Say I'm really new to having a diesel, but some I've talked to have uploaded a chip on their unit. Today I purchased a used Bully Dog from a guy who only used it once on a Ford Diesel. I haven't had my dodge for only 2 weeks, so I think I know how much power it had to deliver. Today I downloaded the first setting (towing mode). Made a difference in power throughout the throttle rang. Coming back from my test (wet roads in Seattle, raining) I loaded the performance mode. Scarry rig. Felt like I was driving a large v8. Never had the nerve to try the extreme mode. May be dumb but not crazy. Will only use the Dog in Towing mode. That's what I got it for. My 03 3500 cummings 6 speed should tow the 34 TRO without any problems. I guess I will find out tomorrow. Does anyone else use these things to add power????? Ted
Ted Thurlby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2008, 04:08 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Say I'm really new to having a diesel, but some I've talked to have uploaded a chip on their unit. Today I purchased a used Bully Dog from a guy who only used it once on a Ford Diesel. I haven't had my dodge for only 2 weeks, so I think I know how much power it had to deliver. Today I downloaded the first setting (towing mode). Made a difference in power throughout the throttle rang. Coming back from my test (wet roads in Seattle, raining) I loaded the performance mode. Scarry rig. Felt like I was driving a large v8. Never had the nerve to try the extreme mode. May be dumb but not crazy. Will only use the Dog in Towing mode. That's what I got it for. My 03 3500 cummings 6 speed should tow the 34 TRO without any problems. I guess I will find out tomorrow. Does anyone else use these things to add power????? Ted
Old 11-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Lots of people run chipped diesels....but you need to get an exhaust temperature (Pyrometer) gauge on it before you do any serious towing. You can run the exhaust up pretty warm with the chip and do some serious (expensive) damage.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Say I'm from Oklahoma City. Graduated there. Sooners are my favorite team...
Old 11-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
I am not real sure but if the guy ran it on a Ford I would not think the settings would be the same for a Dodge.

And what TXiceman said don't run those unless you have an exhaust gas pyrometer. I run a superchips and if I didn't have it I am sure I would have melted the turbo by now. It would not be hard to run it past 1400 or 1500 degrees. I always keep it under 1200.
LarryGodby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ted, we lived near Tulsa twice. Last time was in Chouteau. We were members (founding members) of the Oklahoma Boomers while there and founding members of the Texas Boomers.

Had a lot of fun there, but Texas is home.

I run the Tow Safe setting on my SuperChips Micro Tuner on my truck and it really makes a difference. It will heat up the exhaust. The problem with a diesel is it will keep on making power as long as you stuff air and fuel into the cylinders....until you finally achieve melt down.

Just take it easy on the chip when towing.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 11-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #7

I'd strongly encourage all of you Okie Supporters set those Bullydogs on their most powerful settings, hook up as heavy a load as possible and go like he## for as long as possible . Wife is a Big Red graduate . We know you can do it .
I used Bullydogs in two Dodges. My 2001 had but one setting and went over 120,000 miles without a problem. My 2004 had three settings and it made that Cummin's rock and roll. Never lived in the black cloud zone, (high), as it would raise temps. Kept it stock and in the tow setting when towing. If I remember correctly Bullydog advertised it would automatically shut down if temps went critical but I would not depend on that. Get the guages.
Phil
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:53 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. For today I have to bring the unit home. No hills, level. Will buy the guages necessary. Probably put it in next week. Shouldn't hurt one pull of 120 miles to bring the unit home. Of course could always set it back to normal.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:44 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Without the gauges, don't run it hard. Back off and downshift to a lower gear to keep it from running hot. The temp will not show on the jacket water (engine) temp until it is too late.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Ted,

I have the Bullydog Triple Dog along with the Bullydog Outlook Monitor (including Pyrometer). I run it only in the Tow mode. I am concerned about damage (including turbo meltdown & warped heads or failed head bolts). The Outlook Monitor gives you the option of setting defuel temps for pyrometer and coolant, maybe more. Anyway, I have set mine up for all possible defuel options.

The Outlook Monitor takes the place of additional guages, plus gives you a lot more information.

To repeat, I don't use the Performance and Extreme modes for fear of damage.
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:56 AM   #11

Hi Ted ...

Fellow northwester..

2 sites that may be of some educational and uhm emotional (keeping the smile growing) assistance.

www.nwbombers.com Mostly Dodge Fellas

and www.nwforddiesel.com (few dodge guys on here) plus a bunch of us who yank our trailers around)

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote