RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:47 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can't remove torsion assembly from awning tube

I have a 2007 Dometic Two Step awning on our Excel 2007 30RSO 5th. I was trying to remove the right hand torsion assembly for replacement. After removing the tension on the spring and drilling the rivets the torsion unit should just slide out of the awning tube. But it does not. Even after reasonable hammering against the end cap all it will do is move about 1/4". It acts like the three plastic dogs at the far end of the spring are stuck inside the tube and won't slide. Does anyone have experience or knowledge about this issue?

Attached is the manufacture's tag information from the awning tube.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2475.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	252693

rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2019, 07:15 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
I never had the right had cap off my two step awning. However, I did have that cap off my 9100 series to replace the power motor. The cap seemed to look the same as the one on my two step model. I simply and carefully unloaded the spring tension, drilled out the rivets and the cap and motor slid out easily. This may not help you....just letting you know what worked for me. Let us know what worked for you. Are the rivets completely removed, not just the heads?

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:19 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Here is a video on awning removal. Check out about 4.5 minutes into the video. I hope this helps.
Don

Old 07-10-2019, 08:53 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you folks. the rivets were totally drill out. The bit could enter the tube by an inch or so. I've drilled out hundreds of rivets before. The torsion assembly simply will not budget, even being hammered. Something inside has it jammed.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
I had forget about the RV Geek's video. They do some nice stuff. I use a punch or blunt chisel and tap with a hammer slowly tapping outwardly working my way around the cap. Just sayin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 07-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
I had forget about the RV Geek's video. They do some nice stuff. I use a punch or blunt chisel and tap with a hammer slowly tapping outwardly working my way around the cap. Just sayin'
Thanks Tom for added input and effort. I had tried that trick too. I could get it move back just enough to clear the rivet holes. Then I slipped cotter pins in the rivet holes to try to keep it from snapping back in place. All I was doing was to put a little tension on the spring.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:54 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Fred, Did you ever get the cap off? Please keep us posted.
Old 07-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No and Yes.

I gave up on this effort, as my DW did want to stand on a latter for another round of attempts. So I took it into our RV shop. Only time ever done that. They got it fixed. But since I picked it up over the weekend the only folks that knew what had been done were gone. I'll find out Monday and report back more then.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Fred....
Old 07-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, I think this is a closed issue. Never got a very good answer from the RV shop as to exactly what was done. But it works now. So onward to another adventure.

Tags
awning