Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Carl, I hear ya on the warranty thing. They make it just hard enough to honor the thing, that 95% of "normal" folks, just let it go. I didn't mention, but back in the day when PI was still going, I had Ralph just send me a fresh Manabloc and he handled the warranty on his end. Lucky me. He said it wasn't near the hassle that I'd have to go thru.

On another note, but similar, when we went on a 19 day cruise last year, we bought the optional "cruise insurance" for the tune of about $500. Long story short, we both got upper respiratory infections and had to do lots of meds, etc. Since we were out of the country our Medicare and supplement didn't cover that. We had to physically (manually using snail mail, etc) apply to Medicare and get a turndown letter, then apply to the supplement and get their turndown letter and then submit both to the cruise insurance company. All this is done manually since it's not the normal flow of things. Remember this is the SHORT story version! Ha. After 6 months of going back and forth we were refunded our dr. bills which was the same cost as the insurance premium! I'm like a dog with a bone....no wonder I'm such a mess!!! That's my story and I'm sticking to it! I'm ready for that first glass of wine today!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2019, 03:18 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
I'll keep everyone informed about the Manabloc return process.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:54 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Thanks for the tip, Max. I have already worked out the warranty replacement with Viega. I will wrap up the fix once everything is here and I can replace the Manabloc. The Manabloc for my fiver is a 12 port that is no longer a stock item. You can only get it from Viega, they will have to build it. I'm hoping it will fit without any retrofitting.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:15 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Carl,

Yeah, that 12 port Manabloc was a weird one and made a limited number of them. Probably built just for P.I. And as you may recall that some of the bottom ports support more than one faucet. I forget which they are and which port is what! I know that I've read somewhere on this forum which one supports what faucet. Just FYI.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 06-07-2019, 06:22 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
OK so I wondered this when I first saw it and I will just ask. Is having individual shutoffs really necessary? I have had my 5er and the TT before that for a few years and never had the need top shut off only one fixture.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 09:16 PM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
OK so I wondered this when I first saw it and I will just ask. Is having individual shutoffs really necessary? I have had my 5er and the TT before that for a few years and never had the need top shut off only one fixture.
I think this one of those "beat on your chest" items. When showing off to your friends, it's an opportunity to say "what? you don't have one?"! Ha. I have had on my last two Excels and have used it to shut off a circuit a few times. The negatives is two fowled. One is it requires more pex lines which increases the potential for leaks and since everything runs thru the Manabloc it takes longer to get hot water and the faucets. The serious boondockers don't care for that. Fills the grey tank quicker. Just sayin'.
Old 06-07-2019, 09:44 PM   #22
JDT

Tom, is there any way to get rid of the Manabloc and reduce the number of connections? I've thought about it but not sure it is possible.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:00 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
It's possible....but I'd say it's more trouble than it's worth. Just my opinion.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:56 AM   #24

It saved me when the plastic nut to the bathroom sink broke. I had two trips planned before I could get it fixed. Was able to turn off the bathroom hot water to that sink and still use everything else. I suppose without the Manabloc I just would have had to make the repair sooner, so maybe it was a luxury for me but not a necessity?
Masch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 03:19 PM   #25

Excel Owners Club
Worked on the ManaBloc today. Was researching the possibility of doing a work-around by splicing my shower cold water line to the clothes washer cold water line. Not going to happen. The shower is located above the area behind the utility compartment. The shower cold water line is only about 30 inches long and is next to the side wall behind the power transfer switch and inverter. I would need to be a contortionist to just reach it much less cut and splice. Any other port besides the shower ports would have been a piece of cake.

Have decided to test lowering the water pressure and putting a container to catch the drips. If I can slow the leak, I can keep the shower port closed until we need to take a shower. Otherwise, I will have to wait, no telling how long, for Viega to inspect and custom build a replacement.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:41 PM   #26

Excel Owners Club
If you didn't have to return the Manabloc for warranty, I might be prone to use a little triangler file and make a little "V" grove at the crack on the Manabloc. Then fill with some kind of epoxy or the like. Sand it down with the angle of the seat. Use a fresh cone seal with some kind of mild sealer and tighten the nut just snug and PRAY! Sounds kinda jack-legged don't it? Just a thought.....but since you're turning it back that's not gonna work.

Another thing to think about is there alot of thermo cycling on the hot side. Expansion and contraction.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:57 PM   #27

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Another thing to think about is there alot of thermo cycling on the hot side. Expansion and contraction.
Not sure, I turn the faucet handle one way and water comes out of the spigot. I turn it the other way and it stops.

Rockin', I did have a lot of trouble removing the cone seals. The needle-nosed pliers just pushed the seal to the back of the port adapter. While trying to figure another way of removing the seal, I just started turning the cap to release frustration. I was surprised to see the seal start to work its way out. I kept turning it until it stuck out enough to grab it with the needle-nosed pliers.
Had all out in about 10 minutes. Just think how long it would have taken me if I had turned the cap the other direction. Scary!
Old 06-12-2019, 04:08 PM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Carl, I got I wasn't clear on the cone removal procedure I used. I basically held the cone seal stationery with the needle nose pliers and turned the nuts. Since the seals were expanded the threads in the nuts did the extraction of the seals. Much easier than digging them out for sure.

Tags
leak