RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:32 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Can't stop leak at ManaBloc

Flushed and winterized the trailer this week. It has been in storage, winterized, for the past year and a half. Had a couple of leaks. I loosened and re-tightened one and the leak stopped. Tried the same tactic unsuccessfully at the manifold port for the shower cold water. The tighter I tighten, the faster the drip.

From just a quick look, it looks as if I could unscrew the two water-hose looking connections at the bottom of the manifold and remove the manifold mounting screws allowing me to pull the manifold out far enough to remove the shower cold water hose from the manifold for inspection.

Is there a seal in the plastic connector that can be replaced? I'm hoping it is the seal and not a cracked plastic cap or manifold port.

Any thoughts or "look out for's" I should consider before diving into the repair? Where would I look if I wanted to replace the manifold? Maybe Ralph could help on that question.

CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2018, 06:44 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Chances are that there is a crack in the ManaBloc at the junction of the connection. If tightening the connection it causes the leak to increase than you are spreading the crack. *NOTE* the ManaBloc is warranted for ten years. I had to replace mine 3 years ago and didnít know it was warranted. Paid the full price for a new one. Although after some discussions with the manufacturer I was able to recoup half the cost. You will need to return the old ManaBloc for full warranty.

Rburke8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:47 AM   #3
JDT

Carl, I have had the same issue with mine. One of the outlets was leaking. I thought it was the connector. Surprisingly Lowe's had the exact match for the connector. I have a PEX crimper so I did the replacement and it still leaked. I decided it had to be the manifold.

Without looking I think the leak was at the cold water side for the bathroom sink. I shut that outlet off with the key that came with it. Then I got behind the panel, no easy feat, cut the tubing for the sink and t'ed into the line for the washer so now the port for the washer cold water does both the sink and the washer. Works fine.

Without looking, I think the company that makes the manifold is Viega. When we go to Colorado every year we drive by the Viega manufacturing plant in McPherson, Kansas. A sticker on the manifold says it has a 10 year warranty. I have been meaning to call and see if they mean it but just haven't done it.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:21 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
OK guys, I've posted my experiences with Manabloc here in great detail, but by doing a search found it apparently too old and gone. My first experience was a leak just like yours. The tighter I made it the worse it got. Bottom line I found a minute crack at the sealing surface on the manabloc where the pex connects to it. Not apparent with the naked eye. This pic is with magnification. Viega makes you pay for it and then they reimburse you if they deem it warrantable.

The other time I ended up pulling the Manabloc and didn't find any cracks but replaced the cone seals and fixed my leak. Leaks were small and would move from port to port (no excess water pressure). Do not overtighten the nylon nuts, I used "good and snug" as my torque wrench!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Excel Manablock cracked port 002.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	224885   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3117.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	224886  

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rburke8 View Post
Chances are that there is a crack in the ManaBloc at the junction of the connection. If tightening the connection it causes the leak to increase than you are spreading the crack. *NOTE* the ManaBloc is warranted for ten years. I had to replace mine 3 years ago and didnít know it was warranted. Paid the full price for a new one. Although after some discussions with the manufacturer I was able to recoup half the cost. You will need to return the old ManaBloc for full warranty.
Thanks RB, I did not know it had a 10 year warranty. I haven't dug into the problem yet, I will work on it during a warm spell this winter or in the spring after the last freeze. I will check with the manufacturer and look through the box of documents given to me by PI when I bought the trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Carl, I have had the same issue with mine. One of the outlets was leaking. I thought it was the connector. Surprisingly Lowe's had the exact match for the connector. I have a PEX crimper so I did the replacement and it still leaked. I decided it had to be the manifold.

Without looking I think the leak was at the cold water side for the bathroom sink. I shut that outlet off with the key that came with it. Then I got behind the panel, no easy feat, cut the tubing for the sink and t'ed into the line for the washer so now the port for the washer cold water does both the sink and the washer. Works fine.

Without looking, I think the company that makes the manifold is Viega. When we go to Colorado every year we drive by the Viega manufacturing plant in McPherson, Kansas. A sticker on the manifold says it has a 10 year warranty. I have been meaning to call and see if they mean it but just haven't done it.
Thanks Jim, I assume I can get a PEX crimper at a RV dealer or supply store. Good idea of splicing two lines. In my case, the splicing of the shower and bathroom sink could be a short term fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
OK guys, I've posted my experiences with Manabloc here in great detail, but by doing a search found it apparently too old and gone. My first experience was a leak just like yours. The tighter I made it the worse it got. Bottom line I found a minute crack at the sealing surface on the manabloc where the pex connects to it. Not apparent with the naked eye. This pic is with magnification. Viega makes you pay for it and then they reimburse you if they deem it warrantable.

The other time I ended up pulling the Manabloc and didn't find any cracks but replaced the cone seals and fixed my leak. Leaks were small and would move from port to port (no excess water pressure). Do not overtighten the nylon nuts, I used "good and snug" as my torque wrench!
Thanks Rockin', I did find your post from 2010, the link is below. I read it and it was full of good info on the Manabloc.
I used a similar torque wrench. Instead of using a torque wrench tool and waiting for it to click, I tighten with my fingers until my knuckles crack.

Manablock System on Newer Excels
Old 11-04-2018, 08:12 PM   #6
JDT

Carl, you can get a crimper on Amazon for less than 30 bucks. I don't use it make a living so it has worked fine for a few projects in the house and the one time for the Winslow. I do carry it, a cutter, a few feet of the red and blue PEX and some clamps in the Winslow just in case. I really haven't studied it too hard but I have wondered a time or two if there is a way to remove it and splice the incoming lines to the manafold and with their matching outgoing lines and add a shut off valve for each. Mine has leaked off and on since I got the Winslow in 2012.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:18 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:

Rockin,
Did you buy/order the same cone seals that Viega listed in their catalog or did you use a cone seal from a different source. Those in your photo above look like the cone seals in the Viega catalog. I talked with Curtis and he stated the port adapters EXCEL installed were standard not Viega PEX port adapters.

All I can find at the hardware and large home improvement stores around here are the cone seals used for faucet supply lines. Some of the RV places around here have the cone seals for PEX that have beveled sides and are stiff.

I can order the Viega cone seals from a couple of sources, but they come in a hundred count bag. Fortunately they are relatively cheap.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:05 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Carl,

All I have to offer starts off as "IIRC". You're pushing my memory. First of all I believe the cone seals are RV specific. I purchased mine from Paramount RV parts in Reno, NV. They have a great RV part dept (service not so much, so I hear). Dave is the super part guy. He had them to buy by the piece. Seem like they were ~75Ę a piece. Gave me a "senior discount"! https://www.paramountautobody.com/re...cessories.html

As you can see by the pic a few post back only one was cut off. I found that to be very difficult and it's easy to damage the brass tube and/or the threads of the nut. I used a small pair of needle nose pliers and "unscrewed" the cones seals since the seals had expanded and the outer surface of the seal make contact with the threads on the nuts. Fairly easy. New seals drop right in, since they haven't been compressed. Here's a pic of a new one I found on the internet. https://www.rvpartscountry.com/1-2-NPS-Seal-Cone.html

Also just Google up rv parts cone seals 1/2" for a bunch of sources.

HTHs.....don't you owe me a glass of wine for all this valuable info???!!!! Just kiddin' of course!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 05-30-2019, 09:23 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Carl,

As you can see by the pic a few post back only one was cut off. I found that to be very difficult and it's easy to damage the brass tube and/or the threads of the nut. I used a small pair of needle nose pliers and "unscrewed" the cones seals since the seals had expanded and the outer surface of the seal make contact with the threads on the nuts. Fairly easy. New seals drop right in, since they haven't been compressed. Here's a pic of a new one I found on the internet. https://www.rvpartscountry.com/1-2-NPS-Seal-Cone.html

Also just Google up rv parts cone seals 1/2" for a bunch of sources.

HTHs.....don't you owe me a glass of wine for all this valuable info???!!!! Just kiddin' of course!
Rockin',
Thanks for the info and sorry for making you trek back through some synapses you haven't accessed in a while. Makes my brain hurt when I have to think back.

An old plumber I worked with taught me the needle-nosed pliers trick many years ago. Two finishing nails will do if you don't have the needle-nosed pliers.

I got a unofficial quote from a plumbing supply that is a Viega dealer. He said he could get me a 100 count bag of cone seals for $8.00 plus tax and shipping. I think I will give it a try if he honors the quote. Won't loose much if they don't work. But I will be walking around the RV Parks going up to my neighbors saying, "Hi, you don't know me but I'm your neighbor. Would you like some cone seals?"
Old 05-30-2019, 10:08 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Carl,

Your a mess.......and I think that's what I like the most about ya! I was thinkin' the same deal about given some away too! Ha.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:34 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
I had issues with chronic leaks from my Manablock. I adjusted the psi down on my adjustable water pressure regulator to 50 psi. Not one drip from the Manablock since. That was 5 months ago.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:50 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Well, I removed the Manabloc today. Boy did they install that thing tight. Didn't have much slack with the PEX tubing. I will get in the back and see if I can find some extra slack before I reinstall. I guess PI was running short of PEX pipe that day.

As you can see, the photo looks just like Rockin's picture above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cracked port.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	248019

I will call Viega and order the Manabloc Monday. I don't know how long it will take them to ship it. I may reinstall the old Manabloc and reroute the PEX so we can use the shower on our upcoming trip. Otherwise, my fellow RV'ers downwind may revolt or pass out.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:38 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLnJANIS View Post
Well, I removed the Manabloc today. Boy did they install that thing tight. Didn't have much slack with the PEX tubing. I will get in the back and see if I can find some extra slack before I reinstall. I guess PI was running short of PEX pipe that day.

As you can see, the photo looks just like Rockin's picture above.

Attachment 248019

I will call Viega and order the Manabloc Monday. I don't know how long it will take them to ship it. I may reinstall the old Manabloc and reroute the PEX so we can use the shower on our upcoming trip. Otherwise, my fellow RV'ers downwind may revolt or pass out.
Good catch Jim (with my help! Ha.) My hairline crack could only be seen with magnification. Remember, those blocs are warrantied for 10 years. You pay for it up front. When the old unit is returned and "evaluated" and determined to be their fault, they reimburse you for the expense. That's what they told me back in the day.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:48 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Good catch Jim (with my help! Ha.) My hairline crack could only be seen with magnification. Remember, those blocs are warrantied for 10 years. You pay for it up front. When the old unit is returned and "evaluated" and determined to be their fault, they reimburse you for the expense. That's what they told me back in the day.
Thanks "Bob",
I can actually see it if I get the sun's reflection just right on the port. I had previously talked with Veiga about the Manabloc. I didn't see any manifolds in their catalog that looked like the one installed in our rig. The customer service rep stated that my model was a special build.

As far as the warranty, I will send it back but I will hold judgement about the value of the warranty. I had a covered porch walled in by Four Seasons Sunrooms. Added air conditioning and made a nice sun-room out of a hot dusty patio. Their "great" warranty covered everything except glass breakage. About 5 years after it was installed, the paint started to chalk. Called Four Seasons and they said, yes, that's covered. They stated that I had to take down the walls, windows, and doors and strap them to a pallet. I was to freight ship it all to their New York warehouse. They would look it over and if deemed defective, they would ship me all that was need to replace the walls. If they determined it was not defective, they would return the original walls. All freight to and from New York and installation was my responsibility. So much for a "great" warranty.

Tags
leak