Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
JDT

Carbon Monoxide Detector

The Atwood detector in the bedroom is chirping and telling me it needs new batteries. The AA batteries are supposed to be a certain model number according to Atwood or the detector will not work. I have tried both Energizer and Duracell with the correct numbers but it will not fire up with them in it. It came with Kidde batteries who I assume is the manufacturer but Wal-Mart doesn't carry them, of course. Anyone changed out their batteries with success and what were they? My next step is get another detector. Kind of hate to be without it as we need the furnace every morning since we are parked at 7800 feet.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 02:51 PM   #2

Jim I read the manual for your detector, or at least the one than came up on a google search looking for an Attwood CO Alarm. Appears to be the same that I bought at Home Depot for running our generator at home during emergencies. Mine is a Kidde and appears the same. As I normally don't keep batteries in the detector when not is use, I installed the batteries and it worked fine. One of the things I needed to do was put on my glasses and get in good lighting to ensure the batteries when in correctly.

When you said it didn't fire up...assume you didn't get any audio or light. Did you put the old batteries back in and get any indications just to verify it worked again with the old batteries?

Don't know why it wouldn't work with new batteries, I've never considered anything other than standard AA's and believe the Kidde brand is something mfg'ed for Kidde as a branding thing.

Sticking it out there...I'd verify the correct placement of the batteries. Mine could easily be placed backwards without glasses and good lighting.

workhorse
Old 08-09-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
JDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workshop View Post
Jim I read the manual for your detector, or at least the one than came up on a google search looking for an Attwood CO Alarm. Appears to be the same that I bought at Home Depot for running our generator at home during emergencies. Mine is a Kidde and appears the same. As I normally don't keep batteries in the detector when not is use, I installed the batteries and it worked fine. One of the things I needed to do was put on my glasses and get in good lighting to ensure the batteries when in correctly.

When you said it didn't fire up...assume you didn't get any audio or light. Did you put the old batteries back in and get any indications just to verify it worked again with the old batteries?

Don't know why it wouldn't work with new batteries, I've never considered anything other than standard AA's and believe the Kidde brand is something mfg'ed for Kidde as a branding thing.

Sticking it out there...I'd verify the correct placement of the batteries. Mine could easily be placed backwards without glasses and good lighting.

workhorse
Thanks, wh. I got out my flashlight to make sure I had them in the right direction and no luck, no lights or chirping. I even waited about 10 minutes and tried the test button and still nothing. Put the old ones back in and it starts chirping immediately. The Duracell's are MN 1500 which are on the list of batteries to use, as were the E91 Energizer's I tried a few weeks ago. Makes no sense. I'm beginning to think it may be defective.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Try some different batteries.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #5

Your right, makes no sence. Two different battery sets and still doesn't work. Might try as Russell said and try another set. No harm trying. Just looked at the batteries I keep with the CO alarm, two Ray O Vacs dated 2011 and a Duracell that had a current date.

Did mark my Plus side on the case this time...removes the guess work trying to do it in the dark when the power goes out. Next time it doesn't work with a new set of batteries...hit the reset button....ran out of ideas. Try mixing old and new to see what it does....Might confuse it the next time around.

workhorse
Old 08-09-2014, 09:19 PM   #6
JDT

This is actually the third set I have tried. The first were an off brand I got at a Dollar General because I didn't have anything else at the time. I'm thinking I'll just replace it. They are not expensive.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Make sure you install the batteries properly... Duracell, EverReady or Ray-o-Vac all will work.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
JDT

New one on the way from Amazon. I got some Ray-O-Vac's yesterday and tried them with the same results so I'm done. I did manage to get a single chirp from the Energizers but nothing more. And, yes, I did double check the positive/negative placement each time.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:32 PM   #9

Some of these detectors will not work after a predetermined life. I think it's 7 years. Could this be the problem?
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
JDT

I didn't think to look for a date before I trashed it but the Winslow was only 2 years old last June. I wouldn't think one that old would be used. I really think it was just defective.