Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #1

Greetings! We are new owners of an Excel 2007 33RKO. The unit is new but left over.

The reason for my first post is to check to see if anyone else in this forum has experienced peeling of the ceiling panels (plastic cover on panel is peeling back on its own at the seams) and if there is a known fix. It is clearly a warranty issue in our case but the dealer's suggested fix of using 2" oak strips to cover the problem has me concerned.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #2

Greetings! We are new owners of an Excel 2007 33RKO. The unit is new but left over.

The reason for my first post is to check to see if anyone else in this forum has experienced peeling of the ceiling panels (plastic cover on panel is peeling back on its own at the seams) and if there is a known fix. It is clearly a warranty issue in our case but the dealer's suggested fix of using 2" oak strips to cover the problem has me concerned.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Welcome Steve,

A friend of mine has a 2005 33 RSE and while he was under warranty his ceiling (standard ceiling) had several sections that seem to be cracking near the joints areas (where the panels came together. He lived only a couple of states away so he went back to the factory for replacement with other warranty repairs. Seems to be OK last time I talked with him. I know this isn't exactly the same thing, but I thought I'd share.

Come in often and share your Excel experiences. rockin' i
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:56 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
You will want to contact your dealer and have them get with Excel for the answers, but here is what we have experienced in the past... The ceiling panel will have the paper wrinkle somewhat at the seams. This happens from heat and or cold during the storage of the unit. If just purchased, it is possible that the unit has spent most of the time with the door shut, causing a extreme build up of heat, and causing the paper to shrink at the weakest area, the seam.
What your dealer is suggesting is the best avenue for repair, although instead of oak battens, he may be able to get matching ceiling battens from Excel (if they have them in a wider size).

Over the years of selling Excels, as well as other brands, we have seen this, and there is not a "real" fix, other than the wider battens. This will cover the seam in larger manner, and you should not have the issues in the future.

Good Luck
Old 09-18-2008, 02:35 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Tom, as usual, you're always a wealth of information with alot of experience. Thanks for being there! We appreciate it!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 09-18-2008, 06:15 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wrongway:
You will want to contact your dealer and have them get with Excel for the answers, but here is what we have experienced in the past... The ceiling panel will have the paper wrinkle somewhat at the seams. This happens from heat and or cold during the storage of the unit. If just purchased, it is possible that the unit has spent most of the time with the door shut, causing a extreme build up of heat, and causing the paper to shrink at the weakest area, the seam.
What your dealer is suggesting is the best avenue for repair, although instead of oak battens, he may be able to get matching ceiling battens from Excel (if they have them in a wider size).

Over the years of selling Excels, as well as other brands, we have seen this, and there is not a "real" fix, other than the wider battens. This will cover the seam in larger manner, and you should not have the issues in the future.

Good Luck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom - Thanks so much for your insight on this! My coach sat for two years on the lot so your theory as to the cause makes a lot of sense. Do you happen to know how the battens are affixed? I assume that they are glued on but can't tell by looking whether they also fit up into the channel between the panels. The sample oak strips that the dealer showed me are flat and would need to be tacked, screwed or glued in place.

When we return from our maiden voyage, I'll ask the service person to contact Excel about wider battens in the original finish.

Steve
Old 09-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #7

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rockintom:
Come in often and share your Excel experiences. rockin' i </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Rockintom, will do.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:08 PM   #8

Welcome aboard, We too have this issue w/our 30RSO. It is scheduled to fixed at factory although Jack didnt state the fix. Jack thought they got some poor panels. I had a hard time finding anyone else with this issue in forums but my bro/i/l has a sob w/ the same issue.
I do believe it is caused by contraction as some evenings we have heard the squeak of the panels moving.
ray/wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:38 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ray/wendy:
Welcome aboard, We too have this issue w/our 30RSO. It is scheduled to fixed at factory although Jack didnt state the fix. Jack thought they got some poor panels. I had a hard time finding anyone else with this issue in forums but my bro/i/l has a sob w/ the same issue.
I do believe it is caused by contraction as some evenings we have heard the squeak of the panels moving. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. I'd be very interested to hear what they do at the factory to fix the problem.

Steve
Old 09-22-2008, 11:58 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Sorry, but have been in a Show since last Friday, and have been away from the computer, (sometimes kinda nice, not if I could just lose the Cell phone). I spent the weekend with Steve, our Excel sales rep, and explained the the post to him... Steve did state that the panel can be fixed, but it is a delicate job to do. The current batten strips are a snap in trim and can be removed from the tack between the ceiling panels, but will want to be careful not poke or tear the ceiling material... Then you can use a heat gun, or some have used a iron on low heat, to warm up the ceiling glue that is there and move the paper back into place, and then place the snap in trim back. IT was stated that this usually works.

Now if it is along the outside wall, then you would want to use some crown molding or corner trim molding to cover the issue up with.

A couple of Ideas for you.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:14 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Tom, however, if this problem is a result of temperature/humidity changes the problem will appear again -- is this not true? Just an old country boy chewing his cud and certainly not on the level of 'SirKnowItAll'.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:27 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Chief,

Careful....your getting close with the "old country boy chewing his cud" is gettin' close to IQ 14 which is, of course, patent pending!!!

Now I'm glad we went with the paded ceiling....which has been good. It has a nice cushion to it and helps when I'm bouncing off the ceiling!!!
Old 09-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Chief,
I agree with you, but according to Steve, who use to be the service manager, he stated it would hold... It is worth a try if needed, but I still think the wider batten strips are the way to go... We have done oak on some in the past and it does give it rich look...
Old 09-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Yea, Tom.....Chief's all about looking rich!!Have you seen the puppy dogs he's got. Those dogs are worth more than our entire portfolio! They even have diamond collars!

Just havin' fun with the Chief....he havin' to take the load cause I've been "good" way too long! Now I'm better! rockin'