Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Bigmike,

Why haven't you taken it apart to see what's wrong? Inquiring minds wants to know. rockin'

Oppps there ya go. #6000 quality posts!!!!
I just took an oscillating fan apart to see why it quit oscillating. I didn't figure out the problem-but when I put it back together I had pieces left over The vac is still under warranty and we are going to be stopping by SC in a few weeks. So my DW insisted that I leave it for someone who actually has a clue what they are doing to fix it up.

AND--by the way Rockin--as I was the recipient of your 6000th post, I believe tradition requires a small celebratory token should be coming my way??? Might I suggest a case of ----------O P --on second thought-never mind LOL
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2013, 05:17 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
No it's not. There is no way Rockhead has 100 quality post let alone 6000+

Somebody be a little "jealous" That's not good!!!! [/QUOTE]

I'm just speaking the truth you ole rat.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmichael View Post
I just took an oscillating fan apart to see why it quit oscillating. I didn't figure out the problem-but when I put it back together I had pieces left over The vac is still under warranty and we are going to be stopping by SC in a few weeks. So my DW insisted that I leave it for someone who actually has a clue what they are doing to fix it up.

AND--by the way Rockin--as I was the recipient of your 6000th post, I believe tradition requires a small celebratory token should be coming my way??? Might I suggest a case of ----------O P --on second thought-never mind LOL
You're a wise man BM. You might be better off getting that case of OP by proxy. I can drink it for you.....but it might take a day or two....I've back off abit. You should be honored to be my 6,000 victim...er ehhh...post!!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
You're a wise man BM.

And only Rockin would find the way to immediately exploit my forum handle. As soon as one mentions that he might give up a little of his OP......................
bigmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by janieD View Post
Thanks. I was hoping to avoid crawling into the basement, but looks like it's time.
- John
John,

Well.....did you find out anything on the Vac? I'm almost scared to ask after the fuss you made over doing the little toilet seal job!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 09-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Not sure what I've learned, but here's what I've done so far:
Tested the outlet to the vac. It was fine. Plugged it back in.
Removed the low voltage wire nuts to the vac and shorted the wires together. Nothing. Removed the vacuum from the basement. I know you like to here me whine, but all I'm going to say is, it involved removing a panel and wasn't easy. But I got it out, took it into the dining room/work shop, plugged it in, shorted the wires together and Varoom. Same test as before, only this time it worked. So I took it back to the basement, plugged it in, shorted the wires together and of course it worked. The exact test it failed before I dismantled the basement to remove it. Whatever. Maybe I jiggled it enough to fix it with all the moving. Put everything back together, put everything back into the basement and went inside to show the wife what a stud she married. Lifted the wall port. Nothing. Tried the kick plate. Same thing. This is where we started. All this took so long that it was now happy hour. So that's all I know.
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #21

Excel Owners Club
John, I thought stuff like that only happened to me!!! Hope you didn't put the panel back up! That's the hardest part of the whole job. I bet you've got a loose connection. I don't remember if your rig has a vac-pan or not. If so don't forget to check for loose wire there too. Good luck and please update us on you whinny little project!!! I'm bad! rockin'
Old 09-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I experienced the same when I removed it and tried it on the picnic bench it took off. reinstalled and about 4 months later the same thing. This time it would not do anything. Contacted Dirt Devil and they indicated the thermal on the motor was probably tired and it would require a new motor. Can't remember the $$$ for the motor but it was unreal. I removed the AC/DC motor controller and went to Wal-mart and purchased a 1 Gallon Shop Vac. Made a hanger for it and connected the vacum hose. We are now 2 years plus and it works as good if not better and is much easier to access for cleaning.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Ripped then vacuum back out of its cubby hole in the basement. Went much faster the second time. Found out the vacuum won't work if it's laying on its side like it has to be to mate with the hose when installed in the basement. If you rotate it 90 degrees or stand it on its end, the motor turns on when the control wires are shorted. The relay must be flaky. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.
-John
Old 09-21-2013, 06:49 PM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
John, is yours mounted through the utility compartment wall like mine? Mine is flat mounted upright (not on its side) just behind the utility compartment with the hose connection off the side of the vaccum. Yours is mounted on it's side? Can you mount it flat and still attach the hose?
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #25

Excel Owners Club
Hey Bill,
I have the CV950 mounted such that the end pokes through the utility wall so you can easily change the bag. Probably similar to yours. If the relay is sensitive to how it's mounted, it needs to be replaced. I'm tempted to open the failed relay to see what's going on. I found the relay assembly for $85 on-line, but I can get a 120v 15 amp relay with a 24v coil for less than $20. The circuit card is very basic so the repair should be easy. I still have my soldering iron somewhere. Being in one spot long enough to get the part will be the hard part.
- John
Old 09-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #26

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by janieD View Post
Hey Bill,
I have the CV950 mounted such that the end pokes through the utility wall so you can easily change the bag. Probably similar to yours. If the relay is sensitive to how it's mounted, it needs to be replaced. I'm tempted to open the failed relay to see what's going on. I found the relay assembly for $85 on-line, but I can get a 120v 15 amp relay with a 24v coil for less than $20. The circuit card is very basic so the repair should be easy. I still have my soldering iron somewhere. Being in one spot long enough to get the part will be the hard part.
- John
Not familiar with the relay and board, just want to remind you to use a low wattage solder iron on board stuff. I use a cheapie Harbor Freight 45W iron. Works good. After my shed sale late last winter I'm down to one regular solder gun and the little one. Works OK for me. rockin'
Old 09-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #27

Excel Owners Club
We're having great weather here, so I get to work on this outside. Finally put a multimeter on the circuit card. It's not the relay, it's the transformer. I can watch the output voltage drop to 0V as I rotate the card. When I did a search on the transformer part number, the top hit was this thread: Central Vac problems - CV950
Same problem almost exactly posted 4 years ago. I looked up the specs for the relay, and the failed transformer should have been big enough. Radio shack has several 24v transformers that should work, so I'll see if I can get one in before we go.
- John
Old 09-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #28

Excel Owners Club
John, sounds like you are getting to be a SME on this one! I'm proud of you boy! Keep us posted. And if you get a transformer that works, a Rat Shack part # would be nice. It's nice we can share our experiences. rockin'