Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #1

Cheater Box

Many of the RV parks we visit have only 30amp service. I came across info about a cheater box that plugs in to the 30amp outlet and 20amp outlet at the same time. The manufacturer's website says it will give you a total of 50amp service. I'm not a electrician, but something doesn't quite sit right with me about this product.

progressiveindustries.net/cheater_box.htm

If it actually works as advertised I would definitely buy one. Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Save your money and just use a 30 amp adapter. What your looking at just offers 30 amps to one side of your electrical box and only 20 amps to the other side. This equals an unbalance load and you will not be able to run one of the air conditioners with only 20 amp feed. If you main air is on the 20 amp. it will be the only thing that can work on the side.

I know this is confussing if you don't know much about electricity but it gets into lots of detail to explain everything about this.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:47 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If the park is wired to the latest standards it won't work at all. The 20 amp side will have a ground fault breaker on it. Plugging in the second cord will blow it.

A real 50 amp RV circuit is actually 2 50 amp breakers for 100 amps @ 120 volts or 50 amps @ 240 volts. Both equal 12,000 watts. A 30 amp RV circuit offers 3,600 watts.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuktu78 View Post
Many of the RV parks we visit have only 30amp service. I came across info about a cheater box that plugs in to the 30amp outlet and 20amp outlet at the same time. The manufacturer's website says it will give you a total of 50amp service. I'm not a electrician, but something doesn't quite sit right with me about this product.

progressiveindustries.net/cheater_box.htm

If it actually works as advertised I would definitely buy one. Thoughts?
Tim, what the previous posters said.....

Now you gots a new big fancy rig.....you really need to thing about "upping up" where you stay. Heck we even 50 amp when we stay parked in the driveway at our kids house out in the country in northern CA.!!! Of course, I was the one to install it!!! rockin'

Think.......Your livin' large now!!! Before ya know it......you'll have the "big head" like me!!! Just funnin' ya! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #5

Thanks y'all, you confirmed my suspicions. I'll throw another "what-if" out there - what if the cheater box had TWO 30amp plugs. Granted this would only work if your neighbor's electrical h/u was right next to your's AND the site was empty. I assume PI wires two A/Cs to be on the opposite of the electrical box so if you have two 30amp power sources, you should be able to run both A/Cs, right? Granted two 30amp sources still would not equate to the watts of one 50amp source.

I do have a 50amp to 30amp pigtail and we have survived off 30amp for nearly half our time RVing, but having more power is always nice.

@ Tom, apparently many military campgrounds didn't get the memo about our new rig and us WANTING 50amp service...maybe I should send the memo again .
Old 03-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks y'all, you confirmed my suspicions. I'll throw another "what-if" out there - what if the cheater box had TWO 30amp plugs. Granted this would only work if your neighbor's electrical h/u was right next to your's AND the site was empty. I assume PI wires two A/Cs to be on the opposite of the electrical box so if you have two 30amp power sources, you should be able to run both A/Cs, right? Granted two 30amp sources still would not equate to the watts of one 50amp source.

I do have a 50amp to 30amp pigtail and we have survived off 30amp for nearly half our time RVing, but having more power is always nice.

@ Tom, apparently many military campgrounds didn't get the memo about our new rig and us WANTING 50amp service...maybe I should send the memo again .
The electricians may be able to explain it......but from what I understand is the if you get a pedistal with 2-30 amp service and you connect the box you are talking about, you don't get a true 50 amp service. I believe it comes out to around 40 amps and you've not helped yourself much. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 03-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
A real 50 amp RV circuit is actually 2 50 amp breakers for 100 amps @ 120 volts or 50 amps @ 240 volts. Both equal 12,000 watts. A 30 amp RV circuit offers 3,600 watts.
@ Tom, yes that's what I understand. Doing the math two 30amp H/Us will give you 7,200 watts vice one 50amp that will give you 12,000 watts. Still a big diff between the two, but 7,200 watts is still better than 3,600...that's is if it actually works this way with two 30amp outlets.

It's times like this I wish I was an electrician! Guess it wouldn't hurt to do a little learning up on how this works. Maybe I'll have more time to do some digging as soon as I finish my Master's thesis at the end of this month!!! And incidentally, the MS is in CS so it doesn't exactly help me with this problem...but if it involved writing computer code or making a simulation, I'd be good to go .
Old 03-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
A 50A service is actually 2 50A single pole breakers on different phases. This brings a total of 100A into the coach. A 30A service is actually a single 30A breaker on a single phase. Two 30A plugs will provide you with a total of 60A coming into the coach, possibly on the same phase.

So, using your 30+30-->50 cheater cable, you lose 40A over a standard 50A service. I have one, and use it when I need to and have the opportunity with no problems. Some CGs might frown upon it.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
A 50A service is actually 2 50A single pole breakers on different phases. This brings a total of 100A into the coach. A 30A service is actually a single 30A breaker on a single phase. Two 30A plugs will provide you with a total of 60A coming into the coach, possibly on the same phase.

So, using your 30+30-->50 cheater cable, you lose 40A over a standard 50A service. I have one, and use it when I need to and have the opportunity with no problems. Some CGs might frown upon it.
Great info! Thanks!

If I'm going to use the two 30amp plugs I guess I'll have to don my ninja suit and hookup shore power at night .
Old 03-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Tim, I think you are going to find that with just 30 amps you will keep you rig nice and cool by running the main air and keeping the garage closed off from the living area. When I bought my 39SKM, I just hooked it to 30 amp here at the house with 90* temp outside and it was comfortable inside. With that said, I think you have everything you need unless you are going to be in 100* temp for extended lenght of time. Save your money and buy me a drink of your choosing. It will cost you less. Besides we can tell lies about ole Rockin.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
Tim, I think you are going to find that with just 30 amps you will keep you rig nice and cool by running the main air and keeping the garage closed off from the living area. When I bought my 39SKM, I just hooked it to 30 amp here at the house with 90* temp outside and it was comfortable inside. With that said, I think you have everything you need unless you are going to be in 100* temp for extended lenght of time. Save your money and buy me a drink of your choosing. It will cost you less. Besides we can tell lies about ole Rockin.
I think most of the RV parks we will be visiting down south this summer will have 50amp so I shouldn't have to worry too much. Also, we had PI actually insulate the garage floor since we will convert the garage to a bedroom for my daughter.

I'm really anxious to see how cool the coach stays in 100+ temps. In our last SOB fifth wheel we had to put the shiny silver insulation in all our windows, blacking them out, and run both A/Cs to stay cool in 100 degree weather. I doubt that we will have to do the same with the Excel. Better insulation and more efficient A/Cs in the Excel should make a pretty big difference!

Hope you like Jack Daniels my friend! I always have plenty on hand .
Old 03-01-2012, 12:42 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
I have to agree with ol' still on this one. Remember the Polar Mach AC you now have is so much more efficient that your old SOB had. One thing you also may want to consider.....Based on my limited experience of 30 amp service, in some of the older parks (poorly maintained) with 30 amp have some "soft" curcuit breakers. Repeative blowing of the breaker from folks trying to run too much off it and overheating the breaker weakens it over time and it starts blowing at a lower amperage draw.Telling lies about me does sound like fun. As goofy as I am....a lie would be easy to believe!!! rockin'

On edit.....he may have Jackblack on hand....but refraims from sharing!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
I think most of the RV parks we will be visiting down south this summer will have 50amp so I shouldn't have to worry too much. Also, we had PI actually insulate the garage floor since we will convert the garage to a bedroom for my daughter.

I'm really anxious to see how cool the coach stays in 100+ temps. In our last SOB fifth wheel we had to put the shiny silver insulation in all our windows, blacking them out, and run both A/Cs to stay cool in 100 degree weather. I doubt that we will have to do the same with the Excel. Better insulation and more efficient A/Cs in the Excel should make a pretty big difference!

Hope you like Jack Daniels my friend! I always have plenty on hand .
As for 100*+ temp and both air's running, you will keep the whole rig at 70* easy. I think you put the second air in the back if I remember correctly

And since Tom drinks all that OP, he has no need for good bourbon!!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Working "NOT" View Post
Why tell lies when the truth is more entertaining than anything we could make up?

(I hope Tom doesn't see this one.)
Jim & Bona is offline   Reply With Quote