Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2008, 06:47 AM   #1

Several of my exterior storage compartment doors have corrosion/bubbles on the inner panel, the outer fiberglass panel is ok. Would assume this is due to water that has gotten into the doors and eventually caused the inner aluminun panel to fail. I would like to take the doors apart and replace the panels that are showing this problem.

Has anyone taken there doors apart or done repairs. Mine has a plastic trim ring on the inner door frame and believe if this is taken off, I can take the doors panel out? Thought I would get advice before attempting one.

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2008, 06:47 AM   #2

Several of my exterior storage compartment doors have corrosion/bubbles on the inner panel, the outer fiberglass panel is ok. Would assume this is due to water that has gotten into the doors and eventually caused the inner aluminun panel to fail. I would like to take the doors apart and replace the panels that are showing this problem.

Has anyone taken there doors apart or done repairs. Mine has a plastic trim ring on the inner door frame and believe if this is taken off, I can take the doors panel out? Thought I would get advice before attempting one.

Thanks,
Old 02-04-2008, 07:56 AM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Sorry Chris, I no help on this one. We have the later model "flush mounted" doors on ours and have had no problems.

Bet Bryan has a clue on this and will probably chime in as I know those early doors has some issues.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 08:43 AM   #4

Tom, I would assume that your doors are different than these.

I guess what I need to do is buy a new Excel and park it next to my 2001. This way when I'm working on it I have something to compare it to, or when I'm posting a question I can be more informed.

Like with the shock rub, starting to think Excel has been improved upon.

Thanks,
Old 02-04-2008, 09:41 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
My doors are quite different than yours as you can see. When closed the frames are basically flush with the sides of the unit. Weaterstrips are inside (countersunk) in the cavity verses being mounted externally on the door itself. It's in my opinion that this is a better designed and less apt to leak. I believe that PI started the new doors as a running production change in Dec. 2004. We've had no problems with ours. Check it out. Tom

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #6

Yes, Tom I have to say it's different. The doors seal tight with the gasket where its at, as I haven't had or the unit having signs of water inside the compartment. If fact the doors seal real tight. Remember the vent I installed in the one door for increased ventilation.

My guess is as the unit has aged, the sealant or caulk that might have been between the doors panels frame and the fiberglass panel has worked loose or failed allowing moisture to get between them and into the inner part of the panel. Visually it looks tight. There are several holes in the frame and would be at the bottom when the door is closed, but with any moisture problem its the little amounts over long periods that create as much havoc.

Thanks for looking.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:06 AM   #7

Had a few minutes yesterday and decided to play around with the curbside storage compartment door. It will be easier to take the doors apart than first thought. Just pry off the plastic trim ring. Would assume in an ideal world the insert panel would be one complete unit: Fiberglass panel, filler, plywood and aluminum panel.

The two things I learned was not to take the plastic trim ring off that holds the door panel in place while the door is still hung. The other was the material between the fiberglass panel and the aluminum panel was completely damp/wet and at the point of coming apart and the plywood delaminating. Almost not enought hands to get it all back together.

The only visual signs of problems on this door was a slight corrosion spot on the mid part of the panel and a small brown stain at the bottom of the doors frame. Other than that, it looked "healthy". One would think there would be more signs of touble/damage then there was.

Rain in the forecast the next several days. Will have to put this project on hold till I have enought time to remove the door and let the fiberglass side of the door's panel dry out completely and find a mid filler material. An e-mail with Donna at PI said that they currently use a plastic material as the inner liner and the doors on my unit are no longer available.

After inspecting the seven doors on my unit, five will most likely need repairs but will most likey take them all apart just to be safe.

Thanks Tom for the help.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:23 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Chris,
On the door filler, you could place foam blocks at the corners and center and use the expandable foam to fill the void; or, solid foam panels similar to what commercial roofers use. These are available in various thicknesses.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:50 AM   #9

Chief, that was my thought also on the foam sheets and will need to find a source for the inner panel. Will go with a plastic or aluminum which ever I find and like the looks of. As much time as I spend tinkering with the beast, the "Better Half" might force me to spend a few nights there, so need to make it look nice.

Will have to wait until I get one off to start the repair to determine the thickness and materials I'll need. Don't think it will be that bad of a repair, as I have more tools than HD. Major concern is ensuring the backer for the fiberglass panel is in good shape and stable. Thats still undetermined. Longest part of the repair is waiting for that panel to dry and then wet proof it.

When I start the repair, will take a few pictures and maybe get a post in Best Practices.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:04 AM   #10

Workshop: Keep us posted on your progress. I have a "99" RGO with 4 doors that are delaminating. They're the same as yours.....Used to live off Blanding in OP while stationed at Jax.

Texan by choice. (even before Escapees)....... Not by chance.
P3 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:48 PM   #11

P3 guy, when I first saw your "name", wondered if it had a Navy background. I retired from VP-62 after a career in P-3's. Remember them well. Was an In Flight Tech and in QA when I left, guess that's why I'm always tinkering with things.

As we cancelled the job scheduled for today because of a rain day, decided to take the curb side storage door off as it needed help after taking the trim off yesterday.

Was as bad but good as first thought. The doors were easy to remove and disassemble in its present condition. The wood panel behind the fiberglass had deteriorated by half but luckly still useable and able to get it drying out. The fill foam material is 1" thick and could still be used if I was doing just this one door, but will find new material as I plan to eventually do at least 5. Overall have to use 1 1/4" of material to fill the door to it's original depth and ensure the trim ring will fit correctly.

Have started taking pictures and will post the results in Best Practices when its complete.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:13 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
I think that if you are replaceing the inside panel of your compartment door I would consider using the panel that many use in thebath rooms of quick shops. It is heavier and water resistant. Just one idea.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:31 PM   #13

Thinking the same way. Was in HD looking at materials and options. This is the same FIBERGLASS PANEL at Lowes. Would rather have a smooth surface, little like an orange peel, back side is dull, but like the concept. HD also has a moisture resistant Lauan panel and a FSC door skin panel as will have to manage the depth when it's glued together. Like your idea though.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
P3 Guy send me a private email.I am just up the road from you in Caddo Mills, TX.

Dan
Dan Hen is offline   Reply With Quote