RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:38 PM   #1

converter location on winslow 31ike

my 2014 12 volt battery need replaced so i put in two deep cycle and installed in series instead of parallel. i changed it a few days later but now it pops gfi outlet in my garage when i plug it in to charge. think i messed up converter. but i cannot find it.

terrybennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2018, 07:41 PM   #2
JDT

Different models but mine is behind the sliding doors in back of the storage bay, on the curb side.

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Welcome to the forum, Terry. Jim gave you a good lead on the location of the converter. Hopefully, you just popped some the fuses on the converter. It varies from model to model, but usually from the curb or door side sliding doors in the basement (electrical center). When you open the sliding door look just slightly up and it's mounted on some lumber with screws. Get in there with a light and you find 3 fuses in the converter. They are there to protect the converter from "goof ups" like you did. Check and replace as necessary. They are automotive style mini fuses, I believe they are 25 amp. Anyhow, when jacking with this thing, make damn sure your batts and shore power is disconnected. Let us know how it goes. Here's a pic of your converter and the 3 fuses. https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/po...wer-converter/ Click on the converter pic and then you can enlarge to get a good look at it.

Also please put your rig info in your signature so we can see at a glance what ya have. HTHs.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:13 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybennett View Post
my 2014 12 volt battery need replaced so i put in two deep cycle and installed in series instead of parallel. i changed it a few days later but now it pops gfi outlet in my garage when i plug it in to charge. think i messed up converter. but i cannot find it.
Hi Terry,

Welcome to the forum.

As I understand your post, you took out one 12 volt battery and replaced it with two deep cycle batteries. I sure hope those two deep cycle batteries you connected in series were 6 volt. If they were 12 volt, you just connected 24 volts to your 12 volt electrical system.

I have four 6 volt 'golf cart' batteries in my 2013. I have two each in series to produce two 12 volt pairs and those are in parallel to produce a higher capacity 12 volt.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:33 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Carl.....that's what I assumed he did...2 - 12V in series = 24V!!! YIKES!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:15 PM   #6

thank you guys, it was the fuse on the converter. we bought this new in 2014 and we should have joined the forum sooner. we pull it with a 2013 chevy 2500 diesel truck with no problems. terry and tammy

terrybennett is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, converter