Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Converter question... 2005 model year

Would anyone happen to know what brand/type converter Peterson used, in their 2005 model year fifth wheels?
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2014, 09:52 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
Would anyone happen to know what brand/type converter Peterson used, in their 2005 model year fifth wheels?
Just guessing, but probably Progressive Dynamics.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 10:24 PM   #3

Let me guess: a progressive dynamics 9100 which was common around that time. It is what was in my 2006 Excel. It is a good unit but can be easily modified to become a smart 3 or 4 mode charger by adding a pd 9105 charge wizard. Cost about $30 as I remember and plugs in.

I extended it up into the living quarters but it can be left down in the cargo area.

I consider this to be a must do project. Best bang for the buck around. Google it.

Brad
BradBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 11:13 PM   #4

I also have the PD and believe the plug in pendant just allows you to see what wizard is doing by # and rate of flashes as well you can then toggle thru them. Pretty sure its still a smart charger without pendant you just don't know what state of charging its in.

2007 Excel, 30RSO, Demco Glide Ride, B&W Companion.
Max1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:56 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max PD makes both the 9100, where the plug in pendant *IS* the charge wizard, (Without it the unit is a single stage) and the 9200 where the Pendant lets you see the voltage (Not technically what the wizard is doing) and change the mode. The light flashes at different rates for different modes, but determines the mode by measuring voltage. (Actually a good way to do it).

I have the 9180 + Wizard on my Damon

And a better converter than the Progressive Dynamics Wizard controlled ones I have yet to find.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:10 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Thanks for all the replies! The unit we are trading in, had a PD9260C that I installed. Not because the OEM converter was bad, I just wanted the charge wizard. I simply disconnected the OEM and wired in the PD. I removed the PD9260C yesterday and wired the OEM back up. I wasn't sure what the Excel has in it and I like the PD converters.
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter