Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #1

The decals are peeling off my 2005 PKW30. Is there anything I can use to get the rest off without damaging the finish? Thanks in advance
DGARRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2008, 01:57 PM   #2

The decals are peeling off my 2005 PKW30. Is there anything I can use to get the rest off without damaging the finish? Thanks in advance
DGARRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Hi DWG,
Welcome to the forum! If your decals are just coming loose on the edge in small places, then clean the area good with rubbing alcohol, dry and apply a small amount of clear fingernail polish. Just enough to hold the edge of the decal down. If the decal is peeling in a big way....sorry, as far as I know it's time to replace. Hold on to your wallet as they not cheap. HTH Tom

BTW....I've had some fingernail polish on my mine since new (4 years ago) and it holds up pretty good...it does turn off a little yellow from the elements, but not bad.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:17 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Now RockingTom, are you sure you don't have any lipstick and eye liner that you use on those decals to go with your fingernail polish???

The Squirrel
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:49 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
What you guys think of the new avatar I got for the Squirrel?

Good thing Virg is here now....he may make some derogatory comment something regarding my apron!

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:09 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rockintom:
What you guys think of the new avatar I got for the Squirrel?

Good thing Virg is here now....he may make some derogatory comment something regarding my apron!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom Thanks for taking time out of you're chores to fill us in. Book2
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:13 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
"Good thing Virg is here now....he may make some derogatory comment something regarding my apron!"

Your apron looks good on you!! You really need to put some makeup on to make those pictures of you look better. By the way I really do appreciate the new avatar you sent. You caught me on a snowy day. I will have to put my spring look back on when it warms up here.

The Squirrel
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:56 AM   #8

DGARRI, When I purchased my unit last year, it had Good Sam and a Camp Club decal on the top of the nose and rear caps. When removing those, I used a combo of light heat, to help loosen the adhesive, and plastic scrapers, when all else failed...finger nails. I tried at times applying Goof Off and other cleaners, sometimes it seemed to help.

Neither would just peel off without a fight,the Good Sam was the easiest. The camp club had multiple layers and had a layer simular to auto tag decals that chipped off. These were time comsuming.

I also have removed the smaller EXCEL decals from the side and rear of the unit. They were bad at the edges in some areas. All I did was apply a 'little warmth' with a heat gun (hair dryer will work also) and them lifted the edge and pulled back. To much heat caused them to tear. When warm, was able to 'roll' the finger tip backwards over the edge of the decal and roll it back onto itself to get in behind the awning rails. Went rather quickly. Just removed the minor amount of adhesive left with Goof Off.

Would assume you will be replacing the decals? I purchased the three small decals for about $16 each if I remember correctly. Rockin' is right, a full decal replacement would be about a $1,000. I have several of the larger side decals that are still holding its color and shape very well, just a nick in the vinyl or an area near a trim piece thats curled. Compared to some units I've seen, for an eight year old unit, Excel put quality decals on.

I will be replacing the small Excel decals soon, but the others needed to be wet sanded and compounded to remove the 'new' gelcoat look they left.

REMOVING DECALS
HOW TO APPLY DECALS

Hope something helped.