Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #1

Decor

Hello everyone. We are in the middle of designing our Limited 36TKE. Any suggestions on decor? I have no idea and the wife is worse than that. We like the earth tones. Thought about the white euro chairs and couch and the curtains that match that color scheme.

Does anyone have that decor and if so; is it hard to clean?

Lastly, on the 36TKE, the couch is not straight. It has a section that comes out on one side. Does Excel allow this white leather couch in this configuration?

By the way, speaking of sofas, I noticed in the options there are three different kinds of sofas. Can someone tell me a little about all three. Which do they prefer...etc?

What about options? We loaded this thing up with every option possible. Anything to concern myself with? We went with the 10 cubic foot fridge to save the slide out pantry.

Any, any, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you guys.
bayou316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2009, 09:42 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Bayou 316, Welcome to the Excel Forum. How exciting to be ordering a new rig! If you go down to Options for a 09 36TKE you'll find they are pretty much the same as for the 10s. I was ordering mine last year at this time to, I think I put my final order in the last week of May and took delivery of my new home the first part of August.
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 05:57 AM   #3

Consider calling Peterson Industries and see if they have any pictures of that combination from a unit in stock or under construction they can email you. Sorry, I'm of no use on the sofa.

FWIW, we looked and studied interiors for two years and were certain we'd go with a light interior with oak stain. What we got: Cherry stain, black counter tops, and bomber brown leather furniture.

David
Old 05-02-2009, 08:07 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Welcome bayou to iRV2 and the Excel Forum!!

I am going to take some of your post and answer within your post- Now remember...this is just my opinion from my point of view - and my answers could be different if you are fulltiming - but I missed it if you commented ...so here goes..

"We like the earth tones. Thought about the white euro chairs and couch and the curtains that match that color scheme." I would personally stay away from the white and light cream colors. They may look good in photos-but who wants to be married to their white chairs and cleaners? You are in your Excel to enjoy life and traveling - not to be constantly scrubbing a mark or dirt on white furniture...
"Does anyone have that decor and if so; is it hard to clean?" It is not easy to keep light leather clean and looking good.

"Lastly, on the 36TKE, the couch is not straight. It has a section that comes out on one side. Does Excel allow this white leather couch in this configuration?" You can always have it reupholstered if they don't have the color you want.

"By the way, speaking of sofas, I noticed in the options there are three different kinds of sofas. Can someone tell me a little about all three. Which do they prefer...etc?" Have you checked with PI to see if that model has a choice of all three options?

"We went with the 10 cubic foot fridge to save the slide out pantry." I enjoy time in the kitchen- and I use a lot of fresh food-so I need more fridge size...but then only you know if your fridge will have very little in it - or look like you are going to feed an army. It may also make a difference if you are full-timing in it.

These are just the opinions of someone who has lived in an RV for a year. Your opinions and lifestyle may be very different from mine.

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:21 AM   #5

Thank all of you for your replies. I guess it again comes down to the "eye of the beholder". As far as the white (dove) leather couch and chairs go; I believe with just the wife and I it will probably stay cleaner or maybe clean enough to just touch up when the usual cleaning is done. Davydee..well that's the decision we made on the cabinets and counter tops. In fact, once we chose the Brazillian cherry cabinets, the corian tops are black. MonacoMoma..I believe the dove couch is leather. I guess it could be reupholstered. I am not sure. With just two of us; I believe the 10 cu ft fridge will be enough. I know she wants a pantry so that will probably shut the 12 cu ft down. Does anyone have more comments on the options? Here is the link we are using: http://www.excelrvs.com/assets/files...09_catalog.pdf

Thanks so much to all of you. By the way, Davydee, we are looking at the F450 Lariat package. I loaded that sucker up also. Right now, it's at about $51,000.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #6

QUOTE=bayou316. Thought about the white euro chairs... [snip]

Hello bayou316:

Here's a consideration to think about. Ask for a deduct credit on the Excel recliners and purchase your own. There are several euro chairs on the market. We, personally, like the Lane Andre or the Lane Angelo

Google: Lane Andre Leather Recling Chair and Ottoman Item # 398653
and
Lane Angelo Leather Reclining Chair and Ottoman Item Number #18555

or, go with Ekornes (the original euro chair, I think) (Choose your country :: Ekornes) They're very pricey but top-of-the-line products.

Lotta choices on colors of leather from Lane and you'll find on-line prices to be VERY attractive.

Ken & Patti C.
Ken & Patti C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:39 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Welcome Bay,

As you have found out.....decor is in the eyes of the beholder. Just my thoughts on what you talked about. We have the FLR Floorplan....which is not available anymore. It is much like the TKE with the L shape couch, and a rear kitchen with 2 doors, one on each side. We chose the light oak because it has a clean look and bright. It does darken a bit with age.....no matter how well you take care of it. The cherry is dark which looks rich and very nice for a little while. Dark is prone to dust and scratches show up big time. Obviously some folks like it. To each their own. We got the 2 jumbo recliners in the leather in butter/cream color. No problem with retaining it's cleanliness. But big and heavy to move everything you break or set up camp. We sold them and got an Euro chair in the same color (butter/cream) with leather and a computer desk in its place. Love it. I believe if you made the couch in leather....it would make the room "anemic" and overbland. We went with the color fabric on the couch and very happy with it. Remember Excel's image is one of clean and simple, not way-gaudy. Just another person's opinion!! Want to discuss more just email me with the address in my profile!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Welcome Bay,
The one thing we did in our TKE is switch from cloth valance to oak valance above the windows. Sure looks nice and easy to keep clean. We also went with the Euro chairs and enjoy the comfort. Enjoy the TKE in your travels.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:42 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Hey Bay,

I forgot to mention about the 10 cu.ft. refer. We are very happy with our decision on the unit. I can't believe the difference of the 8 compared to the 10. The 8 is very crowded. You wouldn't think 2 cu. ft. would make that much difference. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:36 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
I'll take a moment to explain the various sofa options for 2010. We now have four different sofa designs. Not all are available in every model of course.

Magic Store Sofa = Built by P.I. it has an opt. sofa caddy, where the center back cusion flips down for a drink tray, built in magazine rack, and pull out drawer. Back flips over for sleeping without encroaching into the living area. This sofa measures between 75" and 80" depending on the model it goes in. Hide-a-bed is optional.

Kingsley = Same as Magic Store but measures only 66" for floorplans where sofa space is tight. No Sofa Caddy option. Hide-a-bed is optional.

Wrap-a-round = Standard in TKE models and W39SKM. No Sofa Caddy option. Hide-a-bed is standard. If you don't like the wrap-a-round sofa, you may option in a straight sofa.

Main Street = Optional wherever standard Magic Store is std. Also may be optioned in place of wrap-a-round. Mainstreet sofa is a more residential looking sofa and is standard with hide-a-bed. No sofa caddy option.

As for colors.... we have MANY different color choices. Choose a color YOU like. I would advise against trying to choose a color-by-committee. We sell LOTS of "Dove" ultra leather and it looks very nice with the Brazillian cherry maple. It doesn't look as hot with oak but then again, some people like it that way also.

Thanks for choosing Excel.
Bryan
ExcelRVGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #11

Wow!!

First of all, thanks to all of you. I'll be honest and say that when we first started looking at 5th wheels; we joined the forums of some competitors of Excel (Carriage..Hitchhiker). I must say that this forum is by far the best when it comes to advice. And ExcelRVGuy, I do thank you for your opinion; but I don't honestly think we are having a color choice by committee (sounds like a Baptist church); my wife and I are just trying to feel out those folks who have the different color schemes as to reliability, functionality and general upkeep. I do thank you for your kind explanation of the couches. That helps a great deal. Thanks again.

Ken & Patti: I went to the Elkhorn website. Man...thank you for that information. I love those chairs and even the ottomans. Superb furniture! Expensive for sure. We will look at Lane this evening.

Rockintom: I agree with you on the anemic feel if the couch is also "dove" color. We will most definitely look at the fabric choices.

Endeavor2BnC: I understand what you did with your valance's, but what color cabinets and furniture do you have. Seems like if you went oak; your cabinets are oak.

Again, thank all of you for your kindness shown to us.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:06 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
"bayou316", belated "Welcome" to the Excel Owners Forum -- I honestly don't think you will find another RV manufacturing company "President" as active on an owner's forum as Bryan Tillett. Marilyn and I look forward to meeting you folks in the future.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #13

Thanks

Thanks Chief...Hope to get our Excel soon. We are trying to work out the price as I write this.

Glad to meet a fellow Air Force Veteran. I spent 71/2 years active during Vietnam. Took a job with the DOD two weeks after I got out. Joined the Air Force Reserves on the same day. Retired SMSgt. Retired GS-12.

I was offered my E-9 when the Reserves took over the "BUFF" wing at Barksdale AFB. Decided against it. It was going to be one heck of a headache and things had changed since I first started in the service. If I remember correctly, the retirement difference wasn't too much difference so I surrendered. LOL

Glad to meet you and yours Chief. Talk with you guys later.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bayou,
We have Oak throughout. It's easy to clean the total rig in short time & looks good.
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36tke, excel, options, recliners, sofas