Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Tom you owe them a drink if they must listen to your BS.....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2014, 07:34 AM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Good post, Tom, thanks. I hope I never need it.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:55 AM   #17

Rockin...where you staying in hemet..thinking about staying there ourselves for the winter..you going to be there all winter...Randy
excel2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by excel2014 View Post
Rockin...where you staying in hemet..thinking about staying there ourselves for the winter..you going to be there all winter...Randy
Randy,

We stay at Mountain Shadows RV Resort. We'll be there all winter 5-6 months starting Nov. This is a private owner owned park. We rent from an owner. Many older folks there, some activities, and park is maintained to a T. 500 sites. You would have to have a "A" lot which is triple wide with a shed. The prices are cheap. ~$425.-500. Let me know if you serious and we'll talk more. Send me an email (in my profile) if you want. There are other parks but most are more expensive. Golden Village Palms is good, very tight sites, great activities, but pricey for me @ ~$800 a month. HTHs rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
This is getting crazy. I give you all the expert (OK, well free!) advice and I have to buy you a drink!!! Ha.

Doggone it, well be in CA by that time. We scheduled to be in Hemet on 11/1. Where are coming from? Maybe cross paths on the road? Anything to have a drink!!! rockin'
We're at home in Tomball right now. Plan on going to Excel Rally in Durant, Ok. on 10/23, to Greenville, TX to see mother-in-law on 10/26 and down to Kerrville on 10/29 to see Bill and Char. Doesn't look like paths cross. Maybe next time.

Don

PS: Okay, okay. I'll buy the drinks.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:35 AM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dw8ite View Post
We're at home in Tomball right now. Plan on going to Excel Rally in Durant, Ok. on 10/23, to Greenville, TX to see mother-in-law on 10/26 and down to Kerrville on 10/29 to see Bill and Char. Doesn't look like paths cross. Maybe next time.

Don

PS: Okay, okay. I'll buy the drinks.
OK Don, you lucked out this time and your story is soundin' good. Next time you be hurtin' my already very sensitive feelin's Ha!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 10-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #21
JDT

Tom, haven't had access to internet since we have been in Canada the past week. We are now in Vermont and I have some side to side play in my Demco and am getting a clunk when starting from a stop. Not much I can do till we get back to Oklahoma later this month. Is there any danger in things coming apart while going down the road?
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Tom, haven't had access to internet since we have been in Canada the past week. We are now in Vermont and I have some side to side play in my Demco and am getting a clunk when starting from a stop. Not much I can do till we get back to Oklahoma later this month. Is there any danger in things coming apart while going down the road?
Hey Jim,

Based on what you describe, I doubt there is any danger, however I'd keep a watch on it at your stops now you are aware of the issue. Good luck and happy and safe journeys. rockin'
Old 10-24-2014, 08:40 PM   #23
JDT

Mine has started the popping and has a lot of slop. I called Demco and verified I have a problem. After we get back from our Branson trip I'll get the parts ordered and hopefully can follow Tom's instructions. There is also some kind of stop kit that can be installed. Not sure I understood what it does but the Demco guy said it is a good thing to have and is now standard on the newer models.

Just out of curiosity does the Mor Ryde pin box (not the air one) have similar issues?
Old 10-25-2014, 05:54 AM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Mine has started the popping and has a lot of slop. I called Demco and verified I have a problem. After we get back from our Branson trip I'll get the parts ordered and hopefully can follow Tom's instructions. There is also some kind of stop kit that can be installed. Not sure I understood what it does but the Demco guy said it is a good thing to have and is now standard on the newer models.

Just out of curiosity does the Mor Ryde pin box (not the air one) have similar issues?
Jim,

They started installing the stops sometime in early 2012 so you should already have them. It's easy enough to tell if you do, by shining a flashlight between the links up on the gap from outside of the pinbox and king pin plate. Another words the bumper/stops are directly behind the large bolt that holds the pinplate to the pinbox. These bumpers simply restrict the amount of travel of the pinplate front to back. HTHs rockin'

BTW...glad you got your blinds restrung....you are no longer a virgin!!!! You now won the responsibility to "pay it forward"! You are on your way to being a SKIA!!! Ha!
Old 10-30-2014, 01:28 AM   #25

Hi Guys, thought I'd update you on my conversation with Demco today.

First, I asked if a locking plate was needed with the HighJacker Autoglade hitch if using a Glide Ride. I was told yes, part number 6036. Retail about $36.00, about a buck less at PPL in Houston (where I'll possibly buy the Autoglide0).

Next I asked about the Pin Assembly Kit required to update the Glide Ride if the pin assembly is out of date. This is the plates mounted on the side of the Glide Ride. The original was 1/4 inch painted black. Next was the 3/8 inch gold, current is 1/2 inch gold. Was told to look for bowing of the plate. Mine are the 3/8 inch gold and they are bowed. I'll try to post a picture tomorrow.

I was told the part number is $51.11 for the upgrade kit.

I called in later and got another representative and was told they would provide free if my pin plates were bowed or warped.

I then asked the second representative some questions about the Glide Ride since I'm a newbie to 5th wheels. He said clunking may be due to the rubber bumpers, part number 5953, price $37.16.

If the assembly seems loose, then a link kit 5820 would be needed, price $43.70.

Thought I'd get this info posted for anyone needing.

If it works, I'm attaching the instructions to the Pin Plate replacement.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BG20010.pdf (232.6 KB, 82 views)
BradBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:10 AM   #26
JDT

I'm starting lean toward going back to a solid pin box or the Mor Ryde comparable as it seems the Demco has it problems. The Mor Ryde may also have its problems but just haven't researched it. We have a Trailer Saver BD3 air hitch so I know the up and down motion is dampened pretty well. It's kind of neat to watch the trailer and the truck work independently of each other when I hit the rough stuff. I guess the back and forth motion is helped with the Demco but not sure how much it would change if I did go back to a solid hitch pin box. In addition to the BD3 I have a set of Air Lift suspension bags on the truck and the Center Point air suspension the Winslow. I run the Air Lifts at 20 psi, just enough to give the truck about a half inch lift and still allow the truck's suspension to do its thing.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #27
JDT

I'm keeping the Demco. Thanks, Tom, for the information you posted on servicing it. I was expecting the worse but it was surprisingly easy to change the 8 bushings. Probably took me about 45 minutes to complete the task once I removed the side plates. My fear was it would be so complicated I would screw it up but not bad at all. I had a bunch of slop in all directions and now it is tight again. I think I'll order another set or two so when it shows signs of wear I can take care of it quickly as the wife certainly did not the clunking that had developed.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:54 PM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
I'm keeping the Demco. Thanks, Tom, for the information you posted on servicing it. I was expecting the worse but it was surprisingly easy to change the 8 bushings. Probably took me about 45 minutes to complete the task once I removed the side plates. My fear was it would be so complicated I would screw it up but not bad at all. I had a bunch of slop in all directions and now it is tight again. I think I'll order another set or two so when it shows signs of wear I can take care of it quickly as the wife certainly did not the clunking that had developed.
You are welcome. Jim, you can just about figure if I can do it, anyone can do it, since I have an IQ of 14!!! The Demco pinbox is a pretty good bang for the buck. I'd like to have one of the nicer boxes with the shock absorbing of the up and down movement on top of the back and forth movement (chucking), but they are costly. Demco service has been outstanding for me. So, it looks like I'll just be swapping out bushing from time to time. rockin'

Tags
replace, replacement