Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2007, 06:05 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
For those that have the Glide Ride Pin Box added to you fifth wheel, weither new from the Factory or have had it added at Family Reunion or at your Excel Dealership. The problem is on the Glider Pins.
On a small number of Demco Glide Ride pin boxes, reports of broken welds have been received. The suspect welds, four each, are located where the fifth wheel gokder pin and the pin plate are connected together.

If Defect Occus: The glideing mechanism will not function properly. pst failures have resulted in the Glide Ride jamming.

How can this be fixed? Replacement of the glide ride pin assembly (two required) with assemblies made with a longer pin and more robust welds will be the fix. The replacement glide pin assemblies wil be a different color than the ones on your coach.

If you purchased your fifth wheel from the factory with Glide Ride Pin Box Option, Demco (the manufacturer of the pin box) has a record of the your purchase and will be in contact with you. If you purchased your Glide Ride Pin Box as a aftermarket item, please call Peterson Industries or your dealer and they will work with you to get the problem solved.

If you have questions about your Glide Ride Pin Box, Contact Demco Directly at 1-800-543-3626.

Some of this information was in the "Excel Extra", but for those that has not received it, or were unaware of the issue, here is the information. If you purchased after October,2006, more than likely the newer pins have been installed.

For everyones information and I hope it helps those that were not aware of the issue.

One thing to note according to the "Excel Extra", There is NO threat of detachment of the fifthe wheel from the tow vehicle. The suspect welds, four each , are located where the fifth wheel glider pin and the pin plate are connected together.
wrongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2007, 06:05 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
For those that have the Glide Ride Pin Box added to you fifth wheel, weither new from the Factory or have had it added at Family Reunion or at your Excel Dealership. The problem is on the Glider Pins.
On a small number of Demco Glide Ride pin boxes, reports of broken welds have been received. The suspect welds, four each, are located where the fifth wheel gokder pin and the pin plate are connected together.

If Defect Occus: The glideing mechanism will not function properly. pst failures have resulted in the Glide Ride jamming.

How can this be fixed? Replacement of the glide ride pin assembly (two required) with assemblies made with a longer pin and more robust welds will be the fix. The replacement glide pin assemblies wil be a different color than the ones on your coach.

If you purchased your fifth wheel from the factory with Glide Ride Pin Box Option, Demco (the manufacturer of the pin box) has a record of the your purchase and will be in contact with you. If you purchased your Glide Ride Pin Box as a aftermarket item, please call Peterson Industries or your dealer and they will work with you to get the problem solved.

If you have questions about your Glide Ride Pin Box, Contact Demco Directly at 1-800-543-3626.

Some of this information was in the "Excel Extra", but for those that has not received it, or were unaware of the issue, here is the information. If you purchased after October,2006, more than likely the newer pins have been installed.

For everyones information and I hope it helps those that were not aware of the issue.

One thing to note according to the "Excel Extra", There is NO threat of detachment of the fifthe wheel from the tow vehicle. The suspect welds, four each , are located where the fifth wheel glider pin and the pin plate are connected together.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:34 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I ordered my Glide Ride through PI and it was shipped to my dealer for install. I guess Glide Ride will be in contact with PI since I ordered the pinbox through them.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:43 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
I would say probably not, as it was done through the their parts department. One thing that you can look at is, there are two plates on the side of the King Pin. In the center of these plate is a threaded bolt. On the ends (front and rear) are the pivot bolts that you will notice have the welds that completely go around the pin. If the complete plate is a of Gold Color, you will not need a replacement, if it is painted black and welds and pin appear to somewhat flush to the plate that they are welded to, it is more than likely that you will need the replacements. Hope this helps in looking.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:44 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
My original pin welds broke and I contacted an engineer at Demco, he was very nice and sent me replacement pins assys. (April 06) and I installed myself. Recontacted him again and he sent the campaign (gold colored) pins and I installed a second time (Dec. 06). We are now up-to-date!!!. BTW the torque spec on retaining bolts is 85 lbs ft. I don't think I should give his contact info on the site, but I have it if you email me. Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:23 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
While on the subject of the Glide Ride Pin Box, do you people who have one use a teflon lube disk?

We were at the dealer today doing the walk through and he said that most people don't, but we've never had a fifth wheel where we DIDN'T use a teflon lube disk...but we've never had the Glide Ride Pin Box. I can't imagine not using one (we certainly don't want to use grease)...you still have metal-on-metal contact.

We'll take a close look at our Glide Ride when we take delivery of it tomorrow. I would think by now that the factory would be installing the new Glide Rides that didn't have this problem.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
I use the teflon disk with no problems on my Glide Ride pinbox. Tom
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:40 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
I also use the teflon plate with no problems. Considering how the Demco is made and how it works, I can't see an issue.

Bangs, Texas
Highgturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:43 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I've always used the teflon plate--no problems.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:47 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
The Disk is Strongly recommended by me. The Demco operation is no different than the standard pin, and turning etc. is going to cause friction. For the low cost of the disk, I would have one place on the unit at sometime, sooner always better.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:51 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks, guys. We'll pick up a disk ASAP...maybe stop by the RV dealer here in Quartzsite before heading out to Blythe to pick up our rig.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:04 PM   #12

Our RKE was built in late October and has gold pins, so anything since then should have the update.

2007 Excel RT 30RKE
hotair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:25 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
If you have the gold pins then you are OK., and will not need to worry about an update on your Glide Ride, it is up to date.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:21 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by wrongway:
If you purchased after October,2006, more than likely the newer pins have been installed.

. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gee I would hope by October it would be fixed.