Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Demco Glide right King Pin

I also have the clunking on stopping and starting. I speayed the links with WD 40 and the cluncking stopped. Called Demco to see if the links need a lub and the Custmor Service guy said they do not need any lub. While we were on the phone I put the phone next to the hitch and there was cluncking as I move the king pin back and forth and side ways. He sent me new plascic bushing,instlled them an took the trailer for ride and the cluncking returned, sprayed the links with WD 40 and most of the clunking is gone. The king pin is very hard to move with the new plastic bushing. The Urathine (spelling) bushings/donuts did not show any ware at all. The trailer is not 2 years old.

Dan
Dan Hen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 06:16 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
Dan, There really no question in your statement, but I have to add a few things. The bushings, I'm told (from Demco engineer) are nylon. They say no lubrication, but I use red wheel brg. grease on assembly. I've had 3 of these hitches and towed many a mile on them. My experience is, the bushing wear in short order and get some slop in them. The first indication is the noise on a stop or start situation, usually on quicker movements. When they get really sloppy you can rotate the base plate of the hitch right and left. I always keep a fresh set of bushing ready to go all the time.
I've also found that if you tow an empty rig or one with low tongue weight the clunk is magnified as the mechanism depends on weight for it to work correctly. Also if you accelerate hard and brake hard the base plate moves from one end of it's travel to the other and there gonna be some noise and feeling of slack (even with the bumper stops). Normal. Once you learn these characteristics and drive the tow vehicle appropriately (smooth transitions) it works pretty good. A perfect hitch operation.....no....but not bad for the money that the hitch cost. Are there better hitches? Oh yeah, but for a lot more spendy. I wouldn't use WD-40 as it not a lubricant. I use spray silicone with the nozzle to focus on the bushing area. Use a little bit of red wheel brg. grease on the actual king pin for it's lubrication.

I've always wondered if the bushing was an oilite bushing if that would wear better/long or more robust than the nylon. Just wonderin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 05:53 PM   #3

Rockin' the GlideRide is supposed to dampen the connection between hitch and trailer. It's not doing that with the quick shift of the mechanism that creates the bang. When mine was new you couldn't move the thing manually. Even after the replacement parts Demco provided it's still easy to move manually and banging when hitched up. I'd did find if I was super careful on the throttle on take off and really braked very gradually i could minimize the banging but who wants to drive like that. As I mentioned in my post about warranty coverage, I'd rather ditch the Demco if it's a chronic flaw that will just reoccur.
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:09 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Brad, I've always been able to move my base plate by hand. And I've rebushed my 3 Demcos maybe 8 times and ready to do it again. I guess I'm an all forgiving type of guy and Demco has been great of furnishing me pieces. I can understand by the way the Demco functions and it's design intent, so I don't expect anymore out of it than that. I would love to have a fancy-smancy hitch and pinbox but not willing to fork out the big bucks. So we deal with what we got! Sure beats the hell out of rock solid pinbox that I started off with.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 09-19-2015, 06:48 AM   #5

Rockin,
I see the Demco is about a $600 item. What are the high priced alternatives your referring to something like the Trail Air which seems to go for almost twice the Demco price?
BRS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 08:53 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Trailer Air would be one that I'd consider, even though there are others too. I personally only have towed with the standard Fabex pinbox and the Demco. (I did get to tow a 42ft. Landmark about 2 blocks with a Trailer Air). I bought my first Demco (serial #198) in 2006 when they first came out as I was able to get it at pure cost (less then $200.)
Old 09-22-2015, 08:31 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Well, I'm going to either rebuild mine again or get rid of it! Every 15,000 miles like clockwork.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:01 AM   #8
JDT

I've looked at the Mor-Ryde rubber pin box which seems to allow movement in all directions. I think the Demco is just front to rear. I have no idea if they are any better or not but I do see them on some fivers. They may be standard on DRV fivers as I think that is where I have seen them. The price for them varies but seem to be in the $600 range. A Trail-Air would be overkill for us as we already have an air hitch, Trailer Saver BD3. I've replaced the bushings in ours once and it really wasn't all that difficult. It did stop the clunking but I noticed it a few times on our recent Colorado trip so I think it is coming back.
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote