Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by padutchmnm View Post
checked my glide ride today and found it "sticky" moving back and forth by hand. if you look in the pin box from the back side you can see the links. i took a can of wd40 with the "smart straw", aimed it at the top of the links and soaked them up a couple times, moving the plate in between sprays. it moves smoothly now. we'll see how it works this weekend.
I would stay away from using WD40 since it will collect dirt. Silicone lube is my first choice and graphite is second.
Still Working "NOT" is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #16

Excel Owners Club
Update from my contact at Demco. The glide ride bushings DO NOT need to lubricated and he had not idea what caused the bushings to fail in such short order. I sent him the pix I posted here. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #17

Excel Owners Club
Can anyone tell that this thing actually helps? I can't. If I have problems I may weld it.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #18

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
Can anyone tell that this thing actually helps? I can't. If I have problems I may weld it.

Oh Gary, it helps quite a bit. If you compare one with a standard pinbox it's quite an improvement. Are there better ones? Probably with a price!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 04-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #19

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Gary,

Check out this video to see what the Demco Glide Ride does for you:

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Gary,

Check out this video to see what the Demco Glide Ride does for you:

Ok, very impressive. So I am wrong. Can't remember that ever happening before. I do remember thinking I was wrong once, but wasn't. Does that mean was wrong??
Old 04-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #21

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Ok, very impressive. So I am wrong. Can't remember that ever happening before. I do remember thinking I was wrong once, but wasn't. Does that mean was wrong??
Don't worry, I won't tell Jo.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #22

Excel Owners Club
Tom,
Did you replace the bump stop bushing and urethane bumper while you were at it?

http://www.demco-products.com/assets...r-Stop-Kit.pdf
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #23

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Tom,
Did you replace the bump stop bushing and urethane bumper while you were at it?

http://www.demco-products.com/assets...r-Stop-Kit.pdf

No, it's my understanding that is something that is installed on old Demco units. Mine were already there and I didn't see anything wrong with them. rockin'
Old 09-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #24

Excel Owners Club
Thanks! Going to take my hitch apart this weekend to see what's making all the noise.
RickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #25

spoke to the demco factory rep at Hershey about this issue. he sez lubrication isn't "usually" necessary since the bushings are made of "oil-lite" bronze. but, if you want to, its ok. during my working years, I've made many rolling mill and casting house bushings from "oil-lite" bronze. that is a generic term for that material. there are many variations of bronze alloys and types of lubrication impregnated into it. we always lubed them anyway for extended service life. yes, wd40 might collect some dirt if you are in a very dusty environment. but that will diminish as the petroleum distillates evaporate over time. with the links being very hard to get at without disassembly, using a spray that will "run" seems like compromise to me........mjf.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #26

Excel Owners Club
Mitch, what is your thoughts on using a silicone lubrication? As it doesn't seem attract dirt. Living in western Kansas, we do have dust storms several times a year. This also applies to most western states.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #27

here in the mid-atlantic states we don't have the dust problems you folks have out west with the exception of spending a lot of time at the sea shore. (which I do some, but not extensively) since the DW has now officially retired, we are planning some longer trips out to take in your beautiful areas of the good 'ole USA. so, I think you have a very valid point in using a "dry" type lubricant while we're on the road. silicones or graphites are perfectly fine. i'll be doing some experimenting with them to find one that is "runny" enough to get into the lower bushing (you can't see it) as i'm soaking the upper one. this might be a little messy, but if you use a brake cleaner or similar to clean and flush the links now and then before relubing, it shouldn't be too bad. you really don't need to do this all that often anyway. I just feel better about having some external lubrication in there once in awhile......mjf.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #28

Excel Owners Club
Thanks Mitch. I have quit using WD-40 since it does collect dirt.