Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2014, 01:23 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Dometic awning needs adjusting

Our powered Dometic Weatherpro awning doesn't roll up straight on the tube. By the time it gets to the fully retracted position against the side of the 5th wheel, the canopy is displaced by an inch or so, enough to pull the support structure out of line with the rails attached to the side of the rig. I can force it back into alignment by climbing a ladder and pulling on it, enough to tow with anyway, but it's a hassle. I can't see any adjustment that might correct this problem. The manual for this awning doesn't mention it in their list of things that might go wrong, but I did learn I don't have a strap that was supposed to come with it that's used to relieve tension on the tube when forcing a retraction without power.
- John
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #2

Excel Owners Club
On my previous manual Dometic awning, I occasionally needed to loosen the retaining screws on the awning fabric on the rail on trailer. Align the awning fabric, run it in and out to verify, then re-tighten the screws.

Hopefully this helps.....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:15 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On mine the fabric is free to slide forward or backward in the roller tube

LIFT it a bit with the roller locked (if it is a power type it is locked so just lift) you may need to pin the roller to lock it (One end has a hole you can stick a pin in to lock it, use a very high grade pin)

With tension off the fabric work the fabric forward or rearward on the tube (If the tube is too far forward work the fabric forward)

Forward is the front end as you go down the road (not that it matters)
Old 08-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
With tension off the fabric work the fabric forward or rearward on the tube (If the tube is too far forward work the fabric forward)
Finally got some time to try this, and it worked great! With some help from the wife, and some patience, I was able to scootch the fabric rearward on the tube about an inch or so. When I rolled the awning back up, it walked a little forward but then started rolling up straight, so by the time it reached the top rail (in the stored position) everything looked fine. What a difference an inch made.

Thanks for the tip.

- John
janieD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, dometic