RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #1

Drip, Drip, Drip

This is our first trip out in the Wild Cargo where it's "Africa Hot", about 95 today. It looks like I've got some type of drainage problem with the AC, condensation is dripping down from the intake side. There is a pretty good puddle under the radiator, just don't know where it should be draining to. I've cleaned the filter, looked up in the system and don't see ice on the radiator. Something is draining, since I can see it draining off the roof. I went topside and pulled off the shroud, and it looks like everything is sealed up, so I didn't poke around there any more. Any thoughts from the wise and experienced Excel'ers?

thanks-
Bobby

2Fliers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #2

Condensation is a normal function of AC. It drains from the coils up above and exits thru a trough of some sort to drain across the roof or into a channel that directs it off the roof.

Do you have any condensation/water across the roof from anywhere around the unit at all?

Wondering if something like a cobweb or mouse nest has the drain channel blocked in the drip tray on the roof side of the unit. This would allow the water to backup and perhaps drain inside the coach. Look around the condenser for previous water marks and see if you can find anything blocking the path.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you talking about your roof A/C.. Try this.. If you can raise the front of the rig about 1 inch Just an inch, won't be enough to make your auto levelers go "off level" won't bother the fridge,,, but it may solve your problem.

You may have to go a 2nd inch, More than that check with a carpenter's level to be sure you are not too far off plumb.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #4

I raised the front end a bit, and it seems to have stopped now.

thanks
2Fliers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
We have the same issue here & I noticed our front end is a hair low after I was battling to get our kingpin down onto the tri-pod (was halfway between upper and lower brace adjustments on the tripod). I found leaving our AC fan run continuously to let the compressor cycle on and off on its own as needed temporarily solved the problem ... which was probably drying up the water up there that wasn't draining properly. I'll give our front end a lift of an inch or two to see if more water drains as it should tomorrow morning (I work afternoon & night security). It is almost 90* here, which is warm for 7,200' altitude.

Thanks,

Dave
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on how and where you park as to how and where the water is going to run. Water is good, it means it doing what it's suppose to do. You don't have a problem...Happy Trails..
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:40 PM   #7

if you are getting condensation in your motorhome it might be a shrinking seal between motorhome roof and airconditioner.you can fix this youself.inside the motorhome take the bottom of the airconditioner panel off.then look inside of unit for 4 nuts.get a socket and rachet and check tightness of unit to roof.i like my motorhome to be slightly higher in back when parked.hope this well help.
rdchevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Fliers View Post
I raised the front end a bit, and it seems to have stopped now.

thanks
Glad I could be of help.. That's twice now that I know of that trick worked.

And for those who think that makes it a rare event.. That's out of TWO tries so it's a 100% success rate.

Later, when it's not hotter than Hadies.. Go topside.. Remove the cover and clean clean clean.

Make sure nothing is obstructing the path the water should take to the roof

Also clean the condenser while you have the top off.. Makes it COOLER inside, trust me on that (Just did mine about a month ago)
Old 07-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Raising and lower the front of the coach may fix the problem temporary....but it shouldn't leak inside no matter what angle you're at (within reason). I suggest you do this until you can further inspect and find out what your problem is.

We been FTing for about 5.5 years and never had drain off water come inside from the A/C and we've been been in some hot and humid weather. I've watched the water run off the roof like there was someone with a garden hose up there!!!!! rockin.

I agree with the OP about water (condensation) is a natural by-product of the cooling process. Also the gasket between roof and AC is something you need to always keep an eye on. Some folks change them out every 3/4 years as periodical maintanence. I check the 4 long through screws for tightness from inside the rig. You don't ever want to overtighten as it distorts the mounting seal and possibly the roof. Just snug is good. I check this on my annual service of the AC. Hope something helps. rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:38 PM   #10

The first process of Air/Conditioning is to remove the humidity. When the hot humit air passes over the colder evaporator coil the air will drop it's moisture (humidity).

On roof-top units the condensed water from the evaporator has to be piped away, so it does not enter the space you are trying to cool, make sure that drains are unobstructed.

On coach or engine operated A/C's it is also importend that the air-box drain is free from any debris othervise the condensed water will leak in to the coach. If the drain is free there will be water running out of the air-box which usually accumulates close to the radiator.

Henry.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:01 AM   #11

Excel Owners Club
I've never noticed a drain on the AC of my Excel trailer. The condensation runs off the roof in one direction or other, into one of the gutters, and onto the ground. Good idea to provide a pipe for the runoff. Don't think we have one tho.
Bruce and Jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
He didn't say anything about it leaking inside. I don't understand what you mean when it's said "where it's suppose to run". I don't know about the coach he has, but mine runs off where ever it wants to....Happy Trails...
FATMANAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
Wow, the gravel under the site our coach is parked on was not very compacted apparently as I raised the front of our 5er almost 6" to be slightly just above level on the front. We have been here since May 21st and I may have lowered the front end a little anyway to get our tripod to mate with our kingpin. Our site slopes slightly to the rear and had to move the three braces on the tripod to the lower position just to get the tripod to squat low enough to get under the kingpin while we were setting up. Although I did see the AC draining to the front gutter tip-out from time to time, some days it wouldn't appear to drip at all even if running for several hours. We are at 7,200' with 10% humidity, so I wasn't sure how much it would drain from day to day? Our outside temps rarely go above 77* and we have just reach 88* for a few days upon which we started running the AC again. I just turned on the AC after re-leveling the coach as it is now 81* and climbing, however when I went to lower my rear jacks again I noticed one rear gutter was dripping slightly even before the AC was turned on. There was probably some water still inside the AC unit unable to drain with the coach 6" low in the front. This is a valuable lesson learned to me ... keep checking level as time goes on to make sure the nose stays high enough to be level overall! The refrigerator appeared to be working just fine up until now, will monitor to see if the interior temps change at all.

I removed the top AC cover, but everything is sealed with silver tape. When I peel back the tape and removed a couple of screws on the galvanized sections, the inside is packed tight with Dow blueboard insulation so I didn't want to disturb it any further without explicit instructions of what & where to disassemble. As I speak the rain gutter is dripping more now, however last winter we were parked under a huge Florida Oak tree that is no doubt partially responsible for possible clogging of our AC exit drain. When I cleaned the roof last I used my sprayer nozzle to flush out a lot of small acorns from under the lower lid of the cover and mounting bracket. Although we didn't get any roof leaks through the AC from the sprayer nozzle (proving the seal is still holding good), it didn't prove that the drain outlet is completely open either. As a former aerospace engineer I find it unacceptable that a drain unclog procedure or easy to access drain port mechanism isn't readily accessible or access easily found. Reaching up into the coil section from inside didn't produce any easily identifiable drain outlet either, just a few screws ends to give painful snags to my finger tips!!! I need Tom to re-design this setup pronto, LOL!

Thanks for everyone's wisdom and experience,

Dave - KU9L
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:42 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Raising and lower the front of the coach may fix the problem temporary....but it shouldn't leak inside no matter what angle you're at (within reason). I suggest you do this until you can further inspect and find out what your problem is.
I agree with you Rockintom.. I agree with you.. However the fact is that it did stop it on my rig and on the original posters.

And when I went up and checked the air conditioner there was NO evidence of any blockage to water exiting, The seals were all good. the only, I stress ONLY, possible happening was the drip tray overflowing to the front instead of the rear like it should.

Of course I've seen some trailers where.. You'd have to be seriously nose down.. But on my Class A when the rig is level, the roof is level, and the A/C is level and water drips where it should.

Tags
air conditioner, air conditioning, condensation