RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Duramax got my ox out of the ditch

Somehow I managed to get my 16K Excel into a National Forest CG in Haines, AK that had 1/2 mile of 14% grade with loose gravel, 2 switchbacks and 2 sharp turns. This was one of those deals where I had already contacted the wrecker and got rates. It was also one of those deals where you kick yourself in the hind end any wonder "what was I thinking".
In preparation for our exit DW and I had spent an hour or so packing dishes and relocating everyhing to near the floor (includng turning the table over). At 9:15 this morning I pulled the dually into 4 wheel low, said a prayer and managed to walk it out with no issues. (pucker factor in red zone),
Haines is one of the most beautiful areas we have been to on this trip and I will certainly remember it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTwoStep View Post
Somehow I managed to get my 16K Excel into a National Forest CG in Haines, AK that had 1/2 mile of 14% grade with loose gravel, 2 switchbacks and 2 sharp turns. This was one of those deals where I had already contacted the wrecker and got rates. It was also one of those deals where you kick yourself in the hind end any wonder "what was I thinking".
In preparation for our exit DW and I had spent an hour or so packing dishes and relocating everyhing to near the floor (includng turning the table over). At 9:15 this morning I pulled the dually into 4 wheel low, said a prayer and managed to walk it out with no issues. (pucker factor in red zone),
Haines is one of the most beautiful areas we have been to on this trip and I will certainly remember it.
We just got back from Skagway and Ketchikan two days ago and had incredibly beautiful weather all week. (we took the cruise ship route, less gravel that way). Would love to hear more about your land trip and how things went.

lsparksrec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
So glad that "Texas Edition" 4WD Duramax was able to do the job. Makes me mighty proud. My 2 WD would have never made it!!! Git R Dun! rockin'
Enjoy the ride!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Gary, I wish I were there to witness the miracle....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
Gary, I wish I were there to witness the miracle....

Doc, I know you wouldn't ever get in that situation, but.....you're little SRW would still be spinning it's little wheels!!! rockin'
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 07-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Doc, I know you wouldn't ever get in that situation, but.....you're little SRW would still be spinning it's little wheels!!! rockin'
look who is talking about spinning wheels, he seems to have forgotten a little wash situation when he needed a pull!!!!!
Hermandutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 07:17 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
Actually, by "little" SRW would have better traction on the rear wheels and less likely to spin than DRW.

It sounds like you have first hand spinning experience....

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 07-27-2013, 08:53 AM   #8

Excel Owners Club
Dutch and Doc,

With old age, I had forgotten about that "little incident" a while back. Some of you don't forget as easily......shame on you for taking advantage of an old man!!! rockin'
Old 07-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Actually, by "little" SRW would have better traction on the rear wheels and less likely to spin than DRW.

You are partially correct.......only in some specific surface conditions....such as soft sand on the beach. Man does Tuggerbaby do a dance (crowhop) on that stuff! rockyspinout
Old 07-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:

It sounds like you have first hand spinning experience....
Russell,
Please explain that one.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Russell,
Please explain that one.
I'm not the Doc but I can tell you, after years of playing around with off road vehicles, there is a reason jeep type vehicles don't have duel rear wheels.
hydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:07 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Russell,
Please explain that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydman View Post
I'm not the Doc but I can tell you, after years of playing around with off road vehicles, there is a reason jeep type vehicles don't have duel rear wheels.
Gary, single rear wheel vehicles will have better traction than dual rear wheels. It's a weight and surface area contact thing.

Wait till you hit ice or a wet patch with with your DWR. You'll spin out much easier than your old SRW.

Walt hit the nail on the head.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD