Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2008, 01:59 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
This is my first unit with an electric fire place and I am really getting to like it. I have been using it for my only source of heat , in the mornings there is ice on the truck windshield and gets to around 45 degrees in the day time. I have the thermostat set about half way and the inside temp is at 70 degrees in the morning. The reason I choose the fireplace was so I wouldn’t have to carry and store an electric space heater. I am being metered at the cg but to me the convenience of not having to fill and check propane tanks is worth the electric cost. Besides I work with electricity and I like and enjoy the benefits of a clean heat. I would highly recommend an electric fireplace as an option for anyone considering a new unit. Book2
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2008, 01:59 AM   #2

Excel Owners Club
This is my first unit with an electric fire place and I am really getting to like it. I have been using it for my only source of heat , in the mornings there is ice on the truck windshield and gets to around 45 degrees in the day time. I have the thermostat set about half way and the inside temp is at 70 degrees in the morning. The reason I choose the fireplace was so I wouldn’t have to carry and store an electric space heater. I am being metered at the cg but to me the convenience of not having to fill and check propane tanks is worth the electric cost. Besides I work with electricity and I like and enjoy the benefits of a clean heat. I would highly recommend an electric fireplace as an option for anyone considering a new unit. Book2
Old 12-14-2008, 03:19 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
book2roadtrash

One of te things to be careful with the fireplace is to make sure that the main heater does run enough to keep the basement warm. You don't want to freeze anything because the main heater didn't run. I think the cost of repairing that might be a little more than the cost of the propane.

Being that we full time, we opted to not get the fireplace and give up storage space. The small space heater we have only takes up 1/16th the space of the fireplace. We keep the window shades up during the day to gather all the heat and then close them up at night. We've have also begun to cover the ceiling openings at night preventing a huge heat loss. We're currently in New Braunfels, TX with temps in the 30's -40's at night.

There is something to say though about the ambiance of the fireplace. You can snuggle up with DW in front of it and HOPE nuff said

Tim
Endeavor2BnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:37 AM   #4

Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Endeavor2BnC:
book2roadtrash

One of te things to be careful with the fireplace is to make sure that the main heater does run enough to keep the basement warm. You don't want to freeze anything because the main heater didn't run. I think the cost of repairing that might be a little more than the cost of the propane.

Tim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tim, Thank you for the heads up on keeping the basement heated. I don’t get concerned with day time temps of 45 degrees and night time lows of just touching freezing. If I was in 40 high and 30 low I’d have the gas fired up. I had the line to the toilet freeze in a SOB when I went to the K.C, Ice Strom in Feb. of 2000 and I just put a light bulb in the basement and it thawed. Come to find out when they tapped the water line for the toilet they tapped into the hot water line and we all know hot water freezes quicker than cold. On Temps of 45 to 50 I travel with my furnace on so it doesn’t take so long to heat up and keep heat in the basement. With temp at 40 and 60 MPH wind , wind chill on you’re skin is 25 degrees and I really don’t know what traveling 60 mph is making for a temp on my trailer, so I want to be safe and not freeze up traveling. Also when temps are above 70 degrees I travel with all my vent fans running to help keep it cooler in my unit when I stop. Book2
Old 12-14-2008, 08:06 AM   #5

Excel Owners Club
You guys are all right on with your comments with the fireplace. Right now I'm glad we have it. We are in colder than expected weather and not paying extra for our 50 amp hook up. We use it and a space heater a lot (space heater in the rear kitchen area). I have the propane thermostat set to 58* and run the little space heater on low just to keep the inside about 50-55*. We keep the door close to the BR. If it gets real cold outside than the propane will come on to heat the basement for just a little while. Seems to work perfect. I feel we are using the system to the max.

Regarding getting another fireplace on a new rig....well...if it was a stock unit that already had it and we liked all other things about it....we'd take it...if ordered... probably no. I think one of the fireplace things...is that you can tell your friends "I got a FP in my rig..."Kinda like beating your chest sorta things!"! No trailer trash here!!! We'd like the room better at this point. So, not sorry we got it but...we're past the glitzy part of it! Purty pricey glitz!

2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote