RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Electric hot water heater reset indicator

On my control panel there are two switches for the hot water heater: one for gas and one or electric. When I turn on the electric switch, I get an indicator that says “reset”. I’ve seen this light before, but turning the electric switch off and on again would clear it, and we would have hot water heated electrically. Now the reset light just comes on again when I toggle the electric switch. Anybody know what happened?
- John

janieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2018, 02:43 PM   #2

When on electric or propane the FAULT LIGHT comes on WHEN the ECO OPENS (Energy Cut Off/HI Temp T-stat----opens at 180*F)
ECO is self-resetting when water temp drops below 150*F

Controls & FAULT LIGHT have to be rest by turning switch OFF--wait 30 Seconds--turn back ON
IF the ECO has reset....

If ECO is OPENING then the T-stat (Normal controlling temp t-stat) is faulty cause it should not allow water temp to go above 140*F

IF water is VERY HOT..then replace T-stat & ECO and make sure connections are clean/tight

But.....
If water temps are 'normal' and NOT scalding hot then ECO may not be OPENING it could be that the millvolt signal from circuit board to/thru ECO could be getting dropped-------loose spade connector, dirty terminals etc on ECO/Red Wiring

W/O ECO in the control loop the water heater will not function on electric
Can function OK on propane because that requires 12V DC vs the millivolt used by electric operation

Check/Clean RED wire connections from circuit board to ECO and to gas valve solenoids
(Millivolt used so there is voltage thru ECO for control loop but not enough to energize/open gas valve)

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:03 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
OB great info as always. Just only one thing that you should remember that PI (Excel) installed Atwood XT water heater since '06 as standard equipment ('05 was an option). Meaning the thermostat shut off was 152* (Mixing valve - blended cold and super heated water to give 16 gals of water at 120*F at faucet). Atwood part #91547 ECO and thermo set. 91447 is the old style thermo and ECO set you are referring to. Just FYI.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
OB great info as always. Just only one thing that you should remember that PI (Excel) installed Atwood XT water heater since '06 as standard equipment ('05 was an option). Meaning the thermostat shut off was 152* (Mixing valve - blended cold and super heated water to give 16 gals of water at 120*F at faucet). Atwood part #91547 ECO and thermo set. 91447 is the old style thermo and ECO set you are referring to. Just FYI.

Hard to keep up with who uses what as Standard and/or Options
One reason I usually ASK brand/Model

IF that is the case......
'EXT' model does use different t-stat which is 160*F and the Mixing Valve would be 130*F (OEM settings)

The 'old style' as you call it is the T-stat/ECO used in the Standard Models
T-stat 140*F/ECO 180*F

Wiring diagram is SAME
ECO millivolt circuit for electric
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:28 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Yep. Literature says 160*F on the thermostat, but the thermostat itself has 152*F on the base. I know picky-picky-picky! Also, if anyone needs the 91547 kit I might suggest getting off Amazon. I needed that kit while in San Antonio last fall and called all round town and couldn't find one anywhere. Finally had someone order it and it took a few days to get it. Found it interesting a common item like that wouldn't be in stock. Just FYI.
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: http://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
So I tried reseating the eco/tstat wires. No joy. The propane switch has the same symptom: it just lights the reset lamp. The eco/tstat isn't opening because of an over temp condition since the water is still at ambient temp. So I'm guessing it's busted and I'll need the kit. Or we could see if smith center can fix it next week when they do our slide.
- John
Old 06-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
So we got to smith center and the hot water heater was working just fine when they checked it, both electric and gas. Maybe hauling it down the road for eight hours jiggle something that needed jiggling. - John

Tags
cat, electric, heat, heater, water, water heater