Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Excel Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #1

enough to retire on

I have been in discussions with full timers on what would you need annually to have a good living...............anyone got answers to this
mrsdieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
That would depend on the lifestyle you would like to maintain. Travel, eating out, category of RV parks stayed at, etc. In our case it would be more than we have now.LOL
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Somewhere between $20,000.00 and $500,000.00!
Old 11-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Yep, how many $$ needed "to have a good living" varies as much in the retired fulltime RV world as it does in the before retired working world ...it depends very heavily on individual appetite and living habits.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
In reality, most Fulltimers spend close to what they did while working. Varies with things like how much they spent on RV and cash or financed. If they sold sticks and bricks to fulltime and used proceeds to buy RV, savings from taxes, insurance and upkeep are offset by fuel, maintenance and camping fees.

At first many spend more, driving more, doing more and eating out more. The first years are a vacation, after that it becomes a lifestyle. Once you get to the lifestyle part you tend to seek out your old routines in life, just in an RV rather than a house.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
"Experts" say that in retirement you will need 70-90% of your pre-retirement income to live at the same level. Many surveys of retirees suggest the real figure is closer to 50%. The wild cards are existing debt at retirement and credit card debt generated after retirement, along with personal spending habits.

My after retirement "income" in the first year of retirment was apx 55% of pre-retirement income. We think we live quite comfortably. We do not own a home or property anywhere. We have found we spend far less on clothing and fuel than we did when I was working, and have only one car to repair/insure/etc now rather than two. (We count the MH as our home rather than as a vehicle ...fuel cost/RV site cost/etc is budgeted every month just like utilities would have been in a stick house).

So much does depend on you, your accustomed lifestyle, your RVing style, your habits, you, you, you...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to KU9L
We switched from the occasional steak to eating PBJ, tortillas & cheese, and cheaper brands of beer. I can say that earning $25K per year workamping doesn't quite make it for us. We are only 48 years young, so no pension for many years yet. One has to be debt free and comfortable with downsizing where practical. I got laid off from aerospace when my work got outsourced to India, so we got into RVing by default when we were lucky enough to sell our house before we ran out of savings. So we started full-timing with too much debt and too little income, not the ideal choice but we had few real options. We are in the process of selling our family farm so that should take burden off our shoulders that will allow us to spend more time seeing the good old USA between starting new workamper job with the change in the seasons.

Dave
'93 Fleetwood Oak Park w/12'x34' lanai @ Pioneer Village in N. Ft Myers, FL
KU9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
We analyzed our budget for 4 years before pulling the trigger....I mean deep diving into it....we figured our budget to be basically $60,000 a year and we've been out 4.5 years and haven't been able to do it yet! Our second year was close but....no cigar. We don't live laviously, nor do we park in Walmart parking lots every night. We live modestly but do a cruise yearly or the like for a vacation from this tough lifestyle!!!! Our budget doesn't include the cost of the rig or truck. Our cost have gone down just a little bit from the stick and brick lifestyle. Hope you have fun and enjoy!
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
rockintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
We analyzed our budget for 4 years before pulling the trigger....I mean deep diving into it....we figured our budget to be basically $60,000 a year and we've been out 4.5 years and haven't been able to do it yet! Our second year was close but....no cigar. We don't live laviously, nor do we park in Walmart parking lots every night. We live modestly but do a cruise yearly or the like for a vacation from this tough lifestyle!!!! Our budget doesn't include the cost of the rig or truck. Our cost have gone down just a little bit from the stick and brick lifestyle. Hope you have fun and enjoy!

What did you figure for inflation and how many years did you go out?
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhicker View Post
What did you figure for inflation and how many years did you go out?
I think we figured 3% inflation rate and earning 4% on our investments. At this $60,000 annual rate, it is suppose to take me out to 94 years old and Donna to 98. At the rate we are going, we better cut back or die quicker!

What about you Woody? What does it take to live your wild lifestyle??
2012 Excel L33ft. GKE named Charm as in 3 times is a Charm. Love Fulltiming. Bullet '14 Chevy D/A 3500 LB CC DRW Summit White - Ebony Interior. Check out our blog at: https://claphamstravels.blogspot.com
Old 11-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockintom View Post
I think we figured 3% inflation rate and earning 4% on our investments. At this $60,000 annual rate, it is suppose to take me out to 94 years old and Donna to 98. At the rate we are going, we better cut back or die quicker!

What about you Woody? What does it take to live your wild lifestyle??

You forget I am a business and it would not be fair to compare with out of pocket folks like you!!!!
BookIIRoadtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhicker View Post
You forget I am a business and it would not be fair to compare with out of pocket folks like you!!!!
Huh?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #13

omg that is a difference
Old 11-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #14

wow thank you all...............woohoo so if we have no mortgage and unit and vehicle paid for - damn we can do it cheap. OK what I am saying is 40k a yr. We are going to retirement seminar soo we will have better idea. Hubby's retirement plan is when this pair of work boots wear out lmao